TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ashen Offline
Not a n00b

Cold sensitivity - November 20th 2017, 03:54 AM

Last December I injured my finger/part of my hand - went to put down the desk part of one of those chairs with the desk attached to one arm and got my hand crushed between the desk and chair. Ended up having to do a month of pt this summer cause it was still hurting pretty much any time I used it. It was better until winter decided to come. I'm in Ann Arbor, MI for school and it gets really really cold.
Apparently my finger and that side of my hand really do not like the cold. It's been so bad I've had to pretty much constantly wear one of those fingerless gloves on that hand and at one job I've had to actually wear both of the gloves on that one hand and the cold still makes it hurt.
Problem is, the material of the gloves - which according to the tag is 84% acrylic, 15% polyester, 1% spandex - kind of irritates my skin. It also makes grasping some things difficult, even though the top half of my fingers are bar. So I can't really wear the glove to my other job because I really don't want a book slipping out of my hand and falling on my head (it's happened before even when i wasn't wearing a glove).

Any suggestions as to other types of fingerless gloves I could wear that will keep my hand/finger warm but not interfere with grasping things or interfere with motion and not irritate my skin? And where to purchase them?

I will write my weakness into strength.

-Aeralie Brighton, Unbroken

Because I am fire.
And I know what fire is.

-K.V. Johansen, Gods of Nabban

"I will try.
Each day.
That's all I promise."

"As long as you will.
No longer.
It is enough."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Cold sensitivity - November 20th 2017, 01:18 PM

Hey there,

I am sorry you are struggling with your fingers and hand. Did you ever have the chance to follow-up with a doctor about it? They might have some answers. It could be a number of things.

As for keeping your fingers and hand warm. I have a few suggestions.
  1. You can buy gloves that have those grips on the fingers. That way items like books won't easily slip out of your hand.
  2. If gloves are bothering you have you tried wool gloves, or 100% [type] fabric before? This can rule out what you are reacting to.
  3. Many places sell those glove warmers where you stick inside your gloves, this might be something to look into if your glove isn't providing enough heat when you are outside.
  4. Sometimes they sell gloves where the tips of your fingers are exposed but have the flap that comes up and over. This might also be an option. Your thumb is the only finger that would be covered. You could also get mittens and cut the tips off of them as well.
I have found all these items at dollarstores. They can be very inexpensive and it might be something that can work for your fingers and hand.

I hope this is helpful.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ashen Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Cold sensitivity - November 29th 2017, 02:57 AM

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.
I don't really have a doctor to go to. I've thought about emailing the pt people and asking them if they have suggestions but I don't know what exactly to say.
I've found putting lotion on seems to help. Could be the fabric is just irritating my hands cause have really dry skin. So I have gloves that work for most of the time. Just need to find something for work at the library where finger/hand complains the most.
I think I'm going to head to the fabric store this weekend and see if I can find some stretchy/warm/non-slippery material and just make my own. *crossing fingers

I will write my weakness into strength.

-Aeralie Brighton, Unbroken

Because I am fire.
And I know what fire is.

"I will try.
Each day.
That's all I promise."

"As long as you will.
No longer.
It is enough."