TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Exhausted all the time. - July 26th 2018, 07:09 PM

[SIZE="a"]I'm constantly feeling exhausted, no matter how much sleep I get. I am on medication that helps me sleep, but even that makes me more sleepier and I end up sleeping a ridiculous number of hours; it ranges from 11-14 hours, which is about or more than half of a 24-hour day period.

I've cut back on my calorie and coffee intake, and it has actually helped a bit. But sometimes, I get so thirsty and hungry, that I end up going back to my binge eating habits and increasing my coffee intake. This only serves to make me even more tired,

I went to bed at around 7:30 PM last night, feeling exhausted. I ended up falling asleep around 10 PM, and woke this morning at 9 AM and felt as if I did not get an adequate amount of sleep.

I don't know what to do about this constant state of exhaustion. [/size]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Exhausted all the time. - July 28th 2018, 03:53 AM

I'm just wondering if there's any medical reason for it? For example, have you ever been diagnosed with anemia (low iron) or anything similar that may be explaining why you're so tired even when you sleep? I'm not a doctor so of course I can't say what could be wrong, but two times I've been more tired than usual it's been to mono and being almost anemic. I'd also talk to your doctor about it, especially if you're even more tired on the sleeping pill and if it makes you sleep too much. If the constant exhaustion is a recent thing, maybe note when it started and what may have changed.

I know this is probably obvious, but when you're thirsty maybe keep some water beside your bed as an alternative to the coffee, especially if it's later than the day? I use a lemonade flavoring in my water so it's not as boring as just drinking water, so it may make it at least taste better.

Is your sleep schedule semi-regular? If not, do you think possibly trying to set a standard sleep/wake time will help? It may be hard to follow at first, but it might get easier over time. You can find soothing videos, music, or books to read before bed to make it easier to sleep. Maybe adjusting to some sort of routine, if you don't already have one, would help.

I hope you're able to get more energy soon!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Average Joe

Re: Exhausted all the time. - July 28th 2018, 09:44 PM

[SIZE="a"]Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply! I have brought up the excessive exhaustion up to my therapist several times, and they've only taken me off that sleeping medicine. The only problem with that though, it takes much longer to fall asleep. There's really no middle ground there.

There are times when I wake during the night, having to pee, and it nearly burns. So I like your idea of keeping water by the side of the bed, I will definitely do that!

To be honest, I don't have a regular sleeping schedule. There are some nights when I am feeling very sleepy and get in bed before 8 PM, but won't fall asleep for a couple hours. Then there are other nights where I am up until 11 PM, 12 or 1 AM, and those are the nights I end up sleeping really late into the morning.

I started taking a multi-vitamin specifically geared for women, it has helped a tiny little bit. I think the problem might have been made worse when I hadn't been taking my multi-vitamin tablets for about a week and half as I had run out. This morning, I woke up at around 10 AM and didn't feel as exhausted as I have been feeling each morning.

I will try to keep an eye on it, and see if the vitamins are actually making a difference.

Thank you for your reply, Melancholia. [/size]

Closed Thread