TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Arion Offline
Arion
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Arion

Question Resistance in hamstrings?? (I'm a dancer) - July 31st 2018, 02:09 AM

I recently bought ankle weights to kick in to make my dance or drill team kicks higher. I was told by another dancer that kicking with weights will create resistance in my hamstrings but my dance instructor and studios who post online have both encouraged this method?

Any input?
  Send a message via Yahoo to Arion Send a message via Skype™ to Arion 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Resistance in hamstrings?? (I'm a dancer) - August 2nd 2018, 09:16 PM

I'm confused as to what the dancer meant when they said it would 'create resistance' in your hamstrings. Weights, or resistance training, tend to work on and build up your muscles. If you overwork yourself or use the weights incorrectly you can get strains or injuries.

If your instructor and studio promote the use of weights, then it should be fine. But maybe you can double check with your instructor?

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Resistance in hamstrings?? (I'm a dancer) - August 3rd 2018, 12:03 AM

What do you mean by resistance? Do you mean that it might make your hamstrings too tight for the flexibility you need in dance? Or do you mean that you need resistance because resistance training is a good form of exercise?

It is worth noting that if the concern is about causing your muscles to become too tight, then you could balance this out with stretching or the use of a foam roller. Just a thought.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Resistance in hamstrings?? (I'm a dancer) - August 3rd 2018, 12:57 AM

I would be very careful when doing exercises or routines that involve weights. Don't try anything without seeking out the advice of a professional fitness trainer first. Don't rely on untrustworthy sources such as the Internet (like a Google search) or random people, even if they are your friends. Unless your friend is a fitness coach themselves, I would be cautious.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Resistance in hamstrings?? (I'm a dancer) - August 3rd 2018, 10:17 PM

Celestial is probably right - also, if your dance teachers said it was ok, I think they'd count as professionals in this case

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: Resistance in hamstrings?? (I'm a dancer) - August 3rd 2018, 10:39 PM

I am right. I'm much older than you and have had very painful experiences as a result of using weights correctly.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Resistance in hamstrings?? (I'm a dancer) - August 4th 2018, 01:46 AM

Hey,
I think if you use them correctly you should be fine. I would go to a trainer or your dance teacher and ask them to show you how to do it correctly so you don't injury yourself. I also think you should ask them about the weight you should be using. If you use a heavier weight then recommend I think you could injury yourself badly.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Resistance in hamstrings?? (I'm a dancer) - August 4th 2018, 05:58 AM

I used to dance and never personally used weights in that way. It's important to remember that a dancer's body is an extremely important tool and unlike with other sports, if it's mistreated...you can't replace it like you could with hockey skates or a baseball bat. So, I guess what I wanted to say is to be careful with using the weights because if you use them to strengthen the different hip flexors that are needed support your legs wrong, then you run a risk of screwing up your hips.

I would strongly advise against doing any sort of resistance training without seeking the advise of a professional (i.e. a physiotherapist or doctor).

I know that I went to a physiotherapist (as do my siblings who still dance) and they helped me not only to understand my body's strength but also helped me to prevent injuries that could occur because of my body's weakness as well as improve my technique. Physiotherapy also is a fantastic way to improve on your flexibility by learning how to safely improve your flexibility or how to better control your flexibility. Dancers push their bodies past the limits and having the proper knowledge of how to look after yourself in order to prevent injuries (or recover from an injury properly) can in turn make yourself an even stronger dancer.

Anyways, take care!

Closed Thread