TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   General Health (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/)
-   -   Triggering: Baby food. (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f16-general-health/t156647-baby-food/)

TH Anonymous July 31st 2018 10:55 PM

Baby food.

[SIZE="a"]Okay so I've the past few weeks been buying jars of baby food, not because I cannot eat proper food because I can. But in the evenings when I get my low moods instead of reaching for a pick me up like sweets or chocolate I am finding myself eating jars of baby food. I know their not probably going to be all that good for me, and im not doing it as a diet thing either, I'm simply obsessed with buying eat babyfood and its not even thats a particular flavour I am more inclined to just buy whatever ones I come across in the store. I feel like some sort of weirdo. But theres something about baby food that I like that I cant get from proper food as such. I will tend to buy any flavour, savoury or sweet and just sit on my sofa in the evenings literally eating anything from one jar to about 4 jars in one go. I feel like I am the only one in the world with this weird habbit, I've googled but it just comes up with random things, theres nothing from what I can find on adults eating baby food because they like it when they are feeling low.[/size]

MsNobleEleanor August 1st 2018 01:01 AM

Re: Baby food.

Hello there,

Thank you for reaching out. I don't think you are "weird" because you eat baby food. This is what you like and it sounds like a healthy choice for you.

I will admit, I have had baby food before. I actually like it, I remember I was jealous a baby got to eat something yummy and I didn't.

A lot of families also make homemade baby food for their babies and toddlers. It can be cheaper for them and it's easy to make. Take carrots for an example, you boil or steam them and mush them together. It's the same thing as carrot baby food. It's the same with sweet potatoes, most veggies and bananas are just mushed well.

Most baby food adults do eat, it is just made differently so babies are able to eat it and digest it.

I don't think you are weird for eating baby food because it's something you like having.

I hope this is helpful.

arepo August 1st 2018 10:11 AM

Re: Baby food.

I don't think it's "weird" at all. It sounds like it's a very comforting thing for you. We all have things that comfort us when our mood gets low and some people just like the texture of certain foods. You definitely don't often get the same texture from most other foods. I also don't think this would necessarily be detrimental to your health with your current eating habits considering baby food has the same nutrition in it as the food would have if it weren't pureed, but baby food on its own does no have enough nutrition in it for an adult.

If you're currently seeing a counselor, it may be a good idea to explore the reasons behind why you enjoy it so much. There can be a lot of reasons for it, to be honest. However, I would urge you to speak to some form of professional if this starts replacing "proper" meals that have the amount of nutrition needed for an adult as it then would be a detrimental habit/coping mechanism. I also would keep an eye on how much you're spending on the food because if you're buying so much of it to the point that you don't have enough money to pay for other essential things (such as any bills, food with the nutrition you need as an adult, supplies for things like personal hygiene, etc) because this would also be detrimental to you.

In all, you're not "weird". Most people have healthy non-traditional methods that help them cope with intense emotions. I absolutely don't believe you'd be the only person in the world who does this either. I believe there is almost always someone else out there like you.

I wanted to add last that I found [this] article on The Mighty about unexpected coping techniques. I think #18 is the most relevant to what you're experiencing:
Quote:

18. “Doing crafts I used to do as a child. Going back to when things were simple and life hadn’t hit just yet. Popsicle sticks, glue, glitter — all the silly things I used to play with. Then my imagination starts to develop.” Jennie L.
It's not the same coping strategy, but this person is still going back to doing things they did as a young child that a lot of people wouldn't consider to be an "okay" thing to do as an adult (without a child as an excuse). Which, it's absolutely okay. Not sure if that article helps at all, but I hope it does. :)