TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Weight/Diet/Exercise Issues - September 13th 2018, 08:02 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, because it contains weight figures, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey everyone,

So...yesterday I was at a doctor's appointment, and I told them that I didn't want to know what I weighed, so they were kind enough not to tell me. Unfortunately, though, I happened to see it on the paperwork that I got afterward, and I was really discouarged when I learned that I am almost 190lbs. A few years ago, I was at most 175 (and even that is too much...my doctor told me around the beginning of my college career that I should be more like 150).

I really should expect this to happen considering the way I eat and the lack of exercise I have. I have a weakness for ice cream, as does my mom, and she keeps it around the house (which makes it very difficult to avoid eating...I just don't have the self control to stay off it).

I know that, scientifically speaking, I need to be burning more calories than I take in in order to lose weight, which brings me to my two-part problem:

1. I don't know how to markedly reduce my calorie intake while feeling full and not feeling deprived. I know that if I feel miserable, I won't keep it up, and will probably only make things worse. I've tried eating lighter stuff like salads before and it just doesn't fill me up enough for me to not eat something else.

2. In a related issue, I don't know how I can possibly exercise enough to burn more than I'm taking in AND enjoy it. I do find that I can often enjoy walking or biking reasonably well (and when I was in school, I'd sometimes shoot hoops on the basketball court for fun, and that was enjoyable). But I have to be in the mood, and it's hard for me to get motivated enough. Exercise feels like work, not like recreation, and I don't know how to get myself to do it more. (Plus, I even just figured out that a bike ride I do from time to time that takes me ~40-50 minutes and leaves me wiped doesn't even burn like a small breakfast, and I can't exercise all day...)

Does anybody have advice? I'm just really frustrated with all this and it's completely overwhelming to me.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Weight/Diet/Exercise Issues - September 13th 2018, 09:51 PM

Right, so usual disclaimer: I'm not a doctor or medical professional. Everything I say is based on research via Google and my own exp.

Note: I'm making the assumption you just wanna lose weight and don't give a damn about muscle mass

(1) If you want to cut calories but not feel deprived start eating 6 smaller meals with foods that are NOT calorie dense. Therefore you eat more BUTTT you don't get the calories. Now that is not a free pass to go pig out method, but you get the idea. I would also get a number of calories you need to lose weight.

(2) You need to find a workout. Simple as that. If you don't like traditional workouts of gymming, running etc, look into a sport club. Perhaps join a basketball class or biking group. One option is to bike to uni. That way you get your exercise in. Sure it'll suck initially but it can help. Alternatively, you want something/someone to hold you accountable. Personally, I like to pay for my own gym/classes because that way its MY money on the line so I'm gonna do it.

Also, it takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to a new workout. So you're gonna have to set a time and go everyday (I reckon 3-6 days a week depending on what you're doing + your body's reaction), and do it till it becomes a habit. Heck if you don't have time go for a walk/run at 5:30 am.

Best of luck!

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Weight/Diet/Exercise Issues - September 15th 2018, 03:02 AM

I started working out 3 years ago and though I'm not an expert on weight loss and whatnot, I have learnt a few things, but bear in mind I'm basing this off my own personal research and experiences.

First, it's good that you're aware that you need to burn more calories than you intake (calorie deficit), and it's also good that you're aware of the exercise requirement. That said, one of the biggest and most important things is your nutrition. Change this first.

I don't know how comfortable you are counting calories, but it's a very good way to start. Once you know how many calories you consume in a typical day, you'll have a good place to start on changing your diet, and later on down the line, how you exercise, and what exercises you do. I use an app called MyFirnessPal. It's very good for recording calories and your macros (fat, carbs and sugar) as it lets you scan the barcodes on any food packaging that has barcodes. A lot of the food you scan has already been entered into the app's online database so you're not worrying about having to constantly input tons of data. You simply scan, state how much of X product you've consumed and you're good to go. In the time of I've been using it, I've only ever had to input whole bits of food nutrition data into the app a total of 3 times. In addition to this, you can personalise the app to tell you how many calories you should be consuming based on your total amount of daily exercise, age, height etc. I would suggest recording everything you eat for approximately a week so you can get an idea of how much you're consuming (keep in mind that the recommended daily calorie intake for the average male is 2500).

When you've been recording your progress for around a week or so, consider looking at the foods you're currently eating, and what you can replace them with. Also, bear in mind that some more calorie-dense foods are not necessarily unhealthy for you. While white rice for example has less calories than brown, it is not as healthy. If you're eating foods such as fast foods such as burgers, chips etc, try to order smaller portions to start. Another thing to remember is that sugar has calories. Reduce the amount of sugar you're consuming and you reduce your caloric intake too. Switch sugar for sweeteners, but don't think that 'sugar-free' pop (or soda for US) is healthy, no fizzy drinks are going to be (except perhaps unflavoured, unsweetened sparkling water). Try switching white bread for wholemeal, switch out butter/margarine for fat-reduced or fat-free versions and so on.

Once you've got your nutrition and diet sorted, think about exercise and workouts later on down the line. Remember though, that bodily change isn't going to happen overnight, and it's not going to happen instantly.

Life is for living, not for losing.

Closed Thread