TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

seizures? - October 16th 2018, 11:29 PM

So my therapist thinks I maybe having seizures in my sleep, because of what i told her last week. Anyways she sent an email to my DR. and she sent a message to the neurology she hasn't heard anything back from them, but she did sent a request for me to have an MRI done. And neurology will get in touch with me to schedule an appointment to do an EEG(whatever that is).

So I was wondering what is an MRI? Is that the machine where you get slid into and it goes around in a circle to get scan of your brain and you have to be really still? Because I have had that done once before four years ago, and it gave me anxiety and the noise bugged me so much.

I do want to find out if I have epilepsy but only seizures at night.But I also am afraid to find out because if I do then I am afraid they will take my drivers license away, since you cannot drive if you have that diagnoses. Does anyone on here have epilepsy but only have seizures at night? If so can you still drive?

Also if anyone else knows about this and if I will not be able to drive anymore, I would love to hear from you as well.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I'm only human...

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: seizures? - October 17th 2018, 12:12 AM

Hey Frankie!

I've had both and MRI and EEG done before, if you're afraid of small spaces you can always get an open MRI, though some doctors prefer closed, and an MRI is when you have to lay still and go into the tube with loud noises, like you said. If you were to get an open MRI, which I've never had before but know people who have, then I've heard that the noises aren't as bad and there is no tube, well there is a tube but it's a circle, but just that, a circle.

An EEG is where they'll stick these little round things in various places on your scalp where your hair is with wires coming from the round things, I think that the round things are called electrodes? Any ways, I got it done when I was fifteen. They prefer you to fall asleep during the procedure but if you're awake that's alright too. I was awake through the whole thing because of my PTSD, and the results still came out clearly.

As far as whether or not they take away your driver license, I'm not entirely certain, you'll need help from another user on this issue.

Let us know how everything goes.

I can do it
I'll get through it
But I知 only human
And I bleed when I fall down
I知 only human
And I crash and I break down
Your words in my head, knives in my heart
You build me up and then I fall apart
'Cause I知 only human, yeah

"Human" by Christina Perri

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

Just breathe and believe.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: seizures? - October 18th 2018, 07:19 PM

I believe an MRI is the one you are describing. You may be able to get earplugs to wear for the noise, but it's best to ask to double check. You can read up about MRI scans here.

As for driving, that really depends on where you live. In some areas, a diagnosis of epilepsy means that you can't drive. While other areas, you have to be having treatment and be seizure free for a certain amount of time before driving again. If you are only having seizures at night, you may have less restrictions, but it really depends on where you live and the type of epilepsy you have.

It's understandable that you would want to find out if you have a form of epilepsy and be apprehensive about it as well. But don't let the fear get in the way of finding out what's wrong and getting the right treatment.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can稚 help, I知 always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: seizures? - October 19th 2018, 12:12 AM

I don't have much to add about the MRI because it was covered well.

I know my mom had seizures and they did take her license away, initially, but once she was able to prove she didn't have a seizure within a certain time frame she was able to get her license back. I believe after her first seizure they took her license away for six months. She ended up getting it back and having more so they took it away for a year. So, short answer, you might get your license taken away but if your seizures improve they will give it back. I know of someone that used to have numerous seizures and they couldn't drive for years and then they found a medication and were able to prove they were no longer having seizures and they got their license back. I am in California so other states/cities might do it differently.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Oh, Bother Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: seizures? - October 19th 2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Bibliophile:. View Post
I am in California so other states/cities might do it differently.
I live in California as well. I just read that they will investigate to see if the seizure or the event effects the persons ability to drive safely...

So from what I read an I am assuming if I do have nocturnal seizure I probably will not get my license taken away since they are only at night while I'm asleep.

Also my EGG is scheduled for Monday, and the other test is on Friday. But won't get the results of the EGG until the week after the test. So I will keep you guys updated...Of since I have gotten my questions answered, you can probably close this and I can just make a new thread when I get the results.

"Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Just walk beside me and be my friend"
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: seizures? - October 19th 2018, 11:56 AM

Closed as requested.

If you want to re-open this thread just send me a PM

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I can稚 help, I知 always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!