TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
glamourkills_ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Taylor

How do I start exercising? - January 15th 2009, 03:47 PM

So, once again this year, I've made the same resolution, to lose weight. I know I'm not healthy like this - I'm overweight, I have asthma (probably due to that) blah blah blah. I don't really eat unhealthy, I just eat too much. I have an elliptical in my bedroom, but I'm honestly too lazy. I have this workout picked out and everything. It's not that I don't have time, because I do. I just... can't find the right motivation or will power to get started. I'm sure when I do start and keep a routine, I'll get results.

Any help as to how I can get started and stick to it?

make sure your face is clean now.
can't have no dirty dead.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: How do I start exercising? - January 15th 2009, 03:52 PM

Try something simple, like walking, for example, get your mp3 player & take a walk to the local shops and back.

Thats a great & easy way to start.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: How do I start exercising? - January 15th 2009, 05:31 PM

You may have to start somewhere else; like I_am_me_again has stated, it always helps to start with something you probably wouldn't consider "strenuous" exercise. Walking is an amazing routine to get into, and a lot of people actually prefer it over any other exercise. Start walking 30 extra minutes a day; around the block, to the store, whatever, and after a week or so start increasing the time to an hour a day, an hour and a half, etc. You may find that you're more motivated to do something like walking, rather than a set exercise routine. If not, that first week of walking, you'll probably start feeling a lot better about yourself, more energized, less stress, etc and you may start to gain the motivation to try and do maybe half of the exercise plan that you have picked out.
Now, everyone is different so it may also benefit you to talk to your doctor before you begin trying to incorporate any sort of diet or exercise plans into your life style as they may have some important considerations or tips for you. They will probably also have many opinions on what can help you become more motivated to exercise.
Good Luck!

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: How do I start exercising? - January 15th 2009, 05:43 PM

Ignore all the complaining your mind does when you decide to do it and just do it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
*Faith* Offline
They'll never know.
I've been here a while

Name: Faith

Re: How do I start exercising? - January 15th 2009, 05:47 PM

I started with walking to school and then I started quickening the pace so it gets your heart rate up a bit more. Then maybe find a path that you like to run/walk a few times a weeks...start increasing the distance etc.

You were the angel of my life, taught me to be free
Now I'm a stranger in your eyes.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: How do I start exercising? - January 15th 2009, 06:15 PM

just walk to places instead of getting lifts or getting the bus. i started doing that about a year ago, and lost weight without even trying.
but that shouldn't really be your exercise regime, that should just be part of your normal life. theres loads of things you could do, i like cycling, i think its really fun and its very good for you. and skipping also, as well as trampolining, swimming and loads of other stuff. as for motivation, just keep in mind how much healthier you will be as a result of it. in my opinion there is nothing more precious in life than your health and you should do everything you can to protect it.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jaymz404 Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: James

Re: How do I start exercising? - January 15th 2009, 06:22 PM

I would personally get yourself into a gym.

Say you want to lose weight and tone up to a Fitness Instructor, and they should make you up a programme which includes.

Stretches, Cardiovascular work, resistance (weights), cool down, stretches.

Each of those points above are the standard order for what most gym programmes offer. The weights are not for you to gain muscle, merley to tone. So don't worry about those, also weights due to how your RMR works (resting metabolic rate) increase your metablism, to a higher point and stay high for several hours. This is why weights will always be the best way to burn fat. Where as Cardio work, only keeps your Metabolism high for about 5 minutes after you stop exercise!

If you are seriours about loosing weight and getting fit, a gym is your best option.

I pay 30 a month for mine. I also have a personal trainer I see once a week for a further 60 a month.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Michael

Re: How do I start exercising? - January 18th 2009, 04:05 AM

Well I've got a few tips on how to be healthier.

1) Don't worry about numbers. If you worry too much about counting everything from your daily intake, it can increase your stress level.

2) When you exercise, do something you like to do. You may not think you enjoy physical activity of any kind, but you could do some things that don't even require you to think you are exercising. You could have a walk with friends to the mall, play some intense Wii games, or something like that. If there is a game that you like, then play it. I do recommend walking if you are just beginning, because it can make you feel great even if you don't want to do it at first.

4) Find foods that you like that are healthy. Personally I eat a lot of hummus. Don't be afraid to try new things.

85) Don't stress yourself out about getting healthier. If you make a consious choice to eat healthier, and to excercise, and you begin to incorperate it into your daily life, it will start to become an unconsious act. Worrying about every little thing, all the time will have negative effects on your body. Even if you have some days when you eat a lot of junk, and don't exercise (not all), it won't necissarily have a huge efffect on your health.

R) don't worry about numbers

these are just a few things that I try to remember.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Claire Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Claire

Re: How do I start exercising? - January 18th 2009, 08:03 AM

To start off I'd say do something you enjoy! Thats a great way to start and means you don't have to force yourself. Are there any sports you enjoy? Or you could just try walking somewhere nice everyday. Theres a wood with a stream near my house and I try and walk there everyday just for a bit of excercise. If you find somewhere private, you could even try jogging there when you get more active. Don't push yourself too early though

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous19 Offline
Average Joe

Re: How do I start exercising? - January 19th 2009, 08:36 PM

Well your going to have days where you won't want to do any exercising and your head is going to rationalize things and put them off to another day, its normal for that. I usually listen to my ipod or whatever when I run so it makes it more bearable (not to mention less boring). If you got a elliptical in your room you can listen to music or watch TV.

Closed Thread