TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Iniquitas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mr.Z

Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 15th 2009, 11:04 AM

I've found many websites describing the amount of carbohydrates in a tablespoon of semen to be small, however I was wondering if anyone knows the exact amount and if there's a reliable reference source online. [ I looked and can't find much on the topic ]

The reason I ask for the exact amount of carbohydrates is because my girlfriend has type 1 diabetes and even 5g of carbohydrates is a significant amount for her health.

Also I was wondering if there is anything else in healthy semen that could potentially be harmful for type 1 diabetics.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 15th 2009, 12:01 PM

If she doesn't swallow it she won't absorb all the carbs.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Iniquitas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 15th 2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiss View Post
If she doesn't swallow it she won't absorb all the carbs.
Thankyou for your reply, however, I would still like to know the amount of carbs in semen and if anything else in semen could effect diabetics.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 15th 2009, 04:08 PM

c4-1. What are the contents of semen?
From _SEX A TO Z_ by Robert M. Goldenson, Ph.D., and Kenneth N. Anderson Copyright 1989 by Walter D. Glanze, Pub. by World Almanac, P. 243:
Quote:
Semen content -
Quote:
a term usually referring to the total content of semen
(whereas the term semen analysis usually refers to the
analysis of sperm). The question of semen content arises
especially among persons who regularly swallow semen, as in
fellatio, and who are concerned about calorie intake and
nutritional substances. The average ejaculate of aboutonia,
ascorbic acid, blood-group antigens, calcium, chlorine,
cholesterol, choline, citric acid, creatine,
deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), fructose, glutathione,
hyaluronidase, inositol, lactic acid, magnesium, nitrogen,
phosphorus, potassium, purine, pyrimidine, pyruvic acid,
sodium, sorbitol, spermidine, spermine, urea, uric acid,
vitamin b12, zinc.
I think that it would be hard to estimate how much carbohydrate is in your semen unless you actually went to the trouble of measuring how much semen you have produced (though the average volume of semen produced at ejaculation is 2 to 5ml.). WebMD lists normal as at least 3 mg/mL as average fructose level. As it has already been stated, if your girlfriend doesn't swallow your semen then you wouldn't need to worry about anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Deadpool Offline
Yip yip
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 15th 2009, 04:41 PM

Why not just use a condom? That way she won't get any of the carbs. Like Stephanie said you'd have to work out how much semen you produced. Your diet could possibly affect the amount of carbs in there too.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 15th 2009, 04:54 PM

Hi there,

I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of carbohydrates. The energy used during sex and foreplay can lower blood sugar levels significantly, and will most likely undo any carbs ingested. However, it is extremely important that your girlfriend checks her BG levels and makes sure she is not as risk for a low before any physical activity.

Take care.

"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 15th 2009, 07:44 PM

Her diabetes will be more significantly affected by the sexual/physical activity than the carbs in your semen, I promise. Just make sure she has her machine with her and tests if she starts to feel bad, and after in cases she needs to eat, which she very well might.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Half doomed and semi-sweet <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Rhia.

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 15th 2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I think that it would be hard to estimate how much carbohydrate is in your semen unless you actually went to the trouble of measuring how much semen you have produced
^^ That.

So seeing as you can't really know the amount of semen you produce and if you're really that worried...wouldnt it be smarter simply not to ejaculate in her mouth? It really isnt a requirement during sex or even oral sex and you'd be suprised at low the number of men is that actually do it.

Blowing in a rubber dosnt make the orgasm any less does it? No.

H a p p i n e s s.
  Send a message via MSN to 20 Dollar Nose Bleed  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Iniquitas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 18th 2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazola View Post
Hi there,

I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of carbohydrates. The energy used during sex and foreplay can lower blood sugar levels significantly, and will most likely undo any carbs ingested. However, it is extremely important that your girlfriend checks her BG levels and makes sure she is not as risk for a low before any physical activity.

Take care.
Oh yeah, I had not considered this, thankyou very much for your reply. Her OneTouch BG device and glucose tabets are always close by. And yes she always checks her BG levels when she feels shaky or dizzy.

Also your reply brings up another question I have, if she is planning to have any physical activity for example 30-45 minutes after eating [assuming BG levels normal], would it be safe for her to take a little less insulin for the meal she had. Like maybe 1 or 2 units less insulin. Or would it be safer to eat a small snack shortly before excersizing, like an apple or orange.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 18th 2009, 10:53 PM

It really depends on how much physical activity. If it's less, then I would just go with eating a small snack shortly before the activity, given her BGs are in the desired range. If it's a little more intense activity, she may need to lower her insulin intake as well as eat a small snack.

However, she should always check with her endocrinologist or CDE before changing her insulin dosages.

"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  Send a message via Yahoo to Through-Glass  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Iniquitas Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 19th 2009, 04:22 PM

Thanks I'll keep all this in mind, and I will encourage my girlfriend to ask her endocrinologist these and many more questions, though she seems reluctant or forgetful to ask them on her appointments and she does not want me to go ask for her.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Diabeties - Carbohydrates in Semen? - August 19th 2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquitas View Post
Thanks I'll keep all this in mind, and I will encourage my girlfriend to ask her endocrinologist these and many more questions, though she seems reluctant or forgetful to ask them on her appointments and she does not want me to go ask for her.
I doubt she's forgetting to ask, she's probably rather reluctant due to the nature of the question.

But to answer your initial question, the amount of carbohydrates in the semen shouldn't matter, even if she does swallow. During sex, lots of energy (meaning lots of carbohydrates) are burned off and this will more than compensate for the carbohydrates in the semen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniquitas
if she is planning to have any physical activity for example 30-45 minutes after eating [assuming BG levels normal], would it be safe for her to take a little less insulin for the meal she had. Like maybe 1 or 2 units less insulin. Or would it be safer to eat a small snack shortly before excersizing, like an apple or orange.
Your question isn't easy to answer because although the duration of activity does matter, the intensity matters a lot also. Different people have different "peaks", which is where after exercise, the blood sugar rises so it gets fairly high and then it crashes low. The height and time of the peak varies according to the duration and intensity of the exercise. Some people may even feel low blood sugar during the exercise if it is rather long or if it is very intense.

Before exercise she should eat something, whether it be one or two granola bars or some fruit. However, I wouldn't advise to take less insulin even if her blood sugar readings are normal because depending on the duration and intensity of the exercise, she may get a feeling of a lower blood sugar faster. Of course, this also depends on what she has for lunch. She should have something with meat of some kind or certain other foods as they tend to delay the time to get a normal low. For example, suppose she eats some salad and has some juice, then she goes to exercise 30-45 minutes later. By the time she has started to exercise, lots or possibly all of the food has been metabolized so she may risk getting a low reading sooner. On the other hand, meats and certain other foods delay the time to get a normal low.

Try to think of it as a normal parabola. When the person has meats or certain other foods, the parabola gets wider, whereas if they don't eat these foods, then the parabola gets thinner (you can assume that the height doesn't change just for the purpose of this example).

Closed Thread