TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Name: Kayla

hurt myself while sleeping? - August 24th 2009, 09:40 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

alright, i'm not quite sure where this would go. so i'm putting it in general health...
i was sleeping, and i was having a nightmare that this guy was pulling on my hand, and trying to take me somewhere. i couldn't see his face, it was out of view, but i could see his hand pulling me. but i was pulling away, so he was digging his nails into my hand and pulling me to go with him.
i have an enormous fear of people, so i woke up screaming and crying because i was terrified.
i looked down, and i had marks all over my hand, like nails were being dug into my skin. my hand was dripping blood, and it was just pouring out. my entire hand was swollen and it stung really bad.

did i do this to myself when i was sleeping? or what happened?!

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.
  Send a message via AIM to savealife723 Send a message via MSN to savealife723 Send a message via Yahoo to savealife723  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Nicolette Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Nicolette

Re: hurt myself while sleeping? - August 25th 2009, 04:06 PM

as strange as this sounds its possible to wake up from intense dreams with scratches or bruises, wether its you doing it or your body responding to the dream I can't tell. I'd deffinately so your doctor if this happens again and he can put you on medication that helps you sleep without the nightmares.

"When it comes down to it I let them think what they want, if they care enough to bother with what I do then I'm already better than them." Marilyn Monroe.
  Send a message via MSN to Nicolette Send a message via Yahoo to Nicolette  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Name: Kayla

Re: hurt myself while sleeping? - August 25th 2009, 04:31 PM

well... the medication i'm on now, is supposed to stop the nightmares. he gave me one medication awhile ago to stop the nightmares, and it didn't work. he took me off of it, and gave me this one, and this one isn't working either.
it's getting to the point where i'm too afraid to sleep. i need help. please. i can't even close my eyes without seeing an image that is frightening.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.
  Send a message via AIM to savealife723 Send a message via MSN to savealife723 Send a message via Yahoo to savealife723  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Justin Bieber Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: hurt myself while sleeping? - August 25th 2009, 04:36 PM

Talk to your doctor and have him switch the medications again, sometimes it take a few to get the right one. Don't give up though! You will get through this. Try watching a happy TV show before bed, or reading a funny magazine. That might help keep your mind on a happy track rather than something scary.

Hope this helped!
-Amy

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: hurt myself while sleeping? - August 25th 2009, 05:36 PM

Hey there Kayla,

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad dream and that you've been suffering from nightmares.
It's really great that you have already managed to go and see a doctor about these nightmares before and have received medication for them, however, if you have been taking this newer medication for a while and it isn't helping you then you do need to go and talk to your doctor again, especially if you are harming yourself during these nightmares. Have you ever been offered psychotherapy as an alternative? You may want to ask about that as it could be a good alternative if you're not reacting well to medication.
It's also important to remember the basics before bedtime such as not watching any TV or anything that's going to stimulate your mind - try and perhaps write your thoughts down and take a warm bath instead.

Take care.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bill Mather
Average Joe

Name: Bill Mather

Re: hurt myself while sleeping? - August 26th 2009, 05:07 AM

May sound weird, but if it reoccurs try videotaping you sleeping to see what happens.

YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT IS AROUND THE CORNER IF YOU NEVER GO AROUND THE CORNER
  Send a message via AIM to Music is my Life  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
cherryqueen1248 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Care

Re: hurt myself while sleeping? - August 26th 2009, 07:18 PM

i think you should see a dr. good luck =]

Closed Thread