TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Not Eating Meals - January 25th 2009, 07:37 AM

[I put this in general health, and not eating disorders because I don't feel like I have one or that this has anything to do with one, but MODs.. feel free to move it there if you feel it fits there better]

My friends pick on me because I don't eat meals like "breakfast" "lunch" and "dinner".. and I don't. I eat small, healthy, snacks throughout the day, like fruits and cereal bars and crackers with cheese. I get all my food groups.. I get a LOT of fruits and veggies.. maybe not a lot of meat but surely enough.

My family doesn't eat meals that often.. I think my dad prefers to sit down and eat but he doesn't impose that idea on me, and I just come by and steal a little bit of the salad he made and top it off with some orange juice or some tea.

I don't think it's unhealthy.. and I don't see why anyone would see it as such because I'm getting all my nutrition in small, manageable doses.

To me, it makes more sense to munch on an apple in 3rd period, have some juice during lunch, and then a cereal bar and dried fruit at work and eat a little bite more when I come home and when my parents eat and then before I go to sleep. I think it keeps my food quantities in reasonable sizes because I'm never hungry so I never eat that much.

And of course, if I have a big meal with someone, like if I go out to lunch, I adjust my snacking so I don't eat until I'm hungry.

What is your take on this? Does anyone here also snack through the day instead of eating meals?

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Not Eating Meals - January 25th 2009, 12:10 PM

Snacking throughout the day is actually a lot better for you, though you should be getting small meals in as well. From what it sounds like you're doing this subconciously as taking some salad at dinner can be considered a sort of small "meal."
As long as you are getting all your proper nutrition, and it's not causing you to have little energy to go about your day, you should be fine. If you really want a good opinion on this, just call your nurse or doctor.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#3 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Not Eating Meals - January 25th 2009, 12:26 PM

Alright. I guess I was just posting to see if I was common or not. I know a lot of families have "sit down" meals and stuff, but I'm at school and work from 6am-6pm.. and my parents eat at different times. It just seems like this is the best way for me to eat and I find it annoying that it attracts "concern" from people who judge me without.. considering it as another healthy option.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Not Eating Meals - January 25th 2009, 01:21 PM

Like Stacey says, i think it is fine so long as you are not weak and undernourished. I understand why your friends express concern for you, as they see set meals as the norm - but in actual fact it doesn't matter if you eat set meals; so long as you are getting the recommended daily required intake of calories - then, i don't see anything wrong with the way you choose to eat. Tell others to mind their own business next time; if you don't feel like justifying your diet.
x

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Faye. Offline
maybe this time...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Faye

Re: Not Eating Meals - January 25th 2009, 01:32 PM

I have a friend who eats like this, she just snacks on different things throughout the day. As long as you get the right amount and right types of food then I can't see why it would matter. Like Leeca said just tell people to mind their own business if their sticking their nose in is bugging you. If they way you eat works for you then I'm sure its fine and I'm sure others can deal with it too.

Feel free to PM me

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think its forever
-Carl Sagan

Send a message via MSN to Faye. Send a message via Skype™ to Faye. 
Closed Thread