TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SillyBunny Offline
<33 Lisa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lisa

glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 11:58 AM

my glands / lymphs w.e they are called area really swollen, and hurting.
I woke up this morning and suddenly there they were...

(@my cheeks, like at the jawbones theres theses bumps/lumps things that hurt)

I told my mom, who said "yeah i have that sometimes, let me feel"
So she feels and she says "Wow they're really big, if it gets worse im taking you to our doctor"

Then this evening, at dinner, my mom asked if my cheeks were still hurting, and before i even got to say yes, my bro comes between and goes "what, whats wrong" my mum says "his glands are swollen" then my brother goes "ooh i have that too!" (he always does that whenever i get something, even my mom told me once that my bro always trys to get attention too so he goes up to my mom saying feel feel, pointing at his chin... my mom goes: yeye.. then bro goes like: pfft d.w about him, i have that all the time its nothing d,w about him

Anyway, so i barely eat, went to my room, now them glands things are hurting, got this big migraine and i feel so extremely tired

- Any ideas what it could be ?
- What could have caused it ?
- What to do ?

- anyone else have an annoying brother or sister who always has what you have too (fake) but they say they have it and just try to get all the attention..
My bro been doing that since he was a kid, like for example when i broke my foot, and couldnt stand on it, he did everything to get the attention, going like "mom mom, my baby toe is hurting!!"

sorry for the long text/rant

EDIT: I had glandural fever once, dont know if that has anything to do with it

Last edited by SillyBunny; January 25th 2009 at 12:08 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 12:12 PM

I'm assuming you're the older sibling? If so, then he's trying to look up to you and do what you do to either get attention or because he sees that what you're doing is working for you.

Is the rest of your body also swollen up like a puffed up balloon or just your face?

I'm not exactly sure what you could have from what you said. Without any tests or any more information, I try to use Occam's Razor (the simplest answer is usually the correct/best one). So, we have headaches, fatigue and puffed up glands/cheeks. Has this happened right away or has it been slowly building up? First thing I thought of was Addison's disease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addison%27s_disease). Does the face look something like this: http://www.passarella.com/matt/matt-moonface.jpg ? However, regardless of what it is, go to the doctor to get it treated.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Josh! Offline
im only dreaming
Average Joe

Name: Josh

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 12:16 PM

dont swollen lymph nodes mean mono?
i could be wrong...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SillyBunny Offline
<33 Lisa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
I'm assuming you're the older sibling? If so, then he's trying to look up to you and do what you do to either get attention or because he sees that what you're doing is working for you.

Is the rest of your body also swollen up like a puffed up balloon or just your face?

I'm not exactly sure what you could have from what you said. Without any tests or any more information, I try to use Occam's Razor (the simplest answer is usually the correct/best one). So, we have headaches, fatigue and puffed up glands/cheeks. Has this happened right away or has it been slowly building up? First thing I thought of was Addison's disease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addison%27s_disease). Does the face look something like this: http://www.passarella.com/matt/matt-moonface.jpg ? However, regardless of what it is, go to the doctor to get it treated.

Im actually the younger one, hes 20 but he acts like hes.. 15 or something

And nono, you cant exactly see my face is swollen up.
But as soon as you touch my jawbone-thing you can feel a big lump/bump thing both left and right now.. that and just feeling extremely tired..

I have headaches everyday so i dont know if that counts, but it doesnt help, thats for sure.

Thanks for replying, means alot <3 *hug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy74 View Post
dont swollen lymph nodes mean mono?
i could be wrong...
What is 'mono' ? :embaressed:

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 12:48 PM

"mono" = mononucleosis = kissing disease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis) It's a real bitch of a disease to have. You have to go and get some tests done by the doctor to confirm it. It needs a lot of rest and not a lot of activity (had a classmate with mono and you do get very tired, very sick).

(#6 (permalink)) Old
SillyBunny Offline
<33 Lisa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourNightmare View Post
"mono" = mononucleosis = kissing disease (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infectious_mononucleosis) It's a real bitch of a disease to have. You have to go and get some tests done by the doctor to confirm it. It needs a lot of rest and not a lot of activity (had a classmate with mono and you do get very tired, very sick).
Umm can you get it from something else ?

:$ im like a total virgin, like.. i havent even ever kissed anyone before :$ so...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 01:00 PM

I believe it's spread by saliva. It may not be mono, it could be something else. Go to the doctor and get some tests done.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lozzaa Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 01:03 PM

It could be early stages of the mumps, since its like that for a few days before flaring up and making your whole face swollen. I suggest going to the doctor, only they can give a correct diagnosis
  Send a message via MSN to Lozzaa Send a message via Skype™ to Lozzaa 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
SillyBunny Offline
<33 Lisa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 01:06 PM

Okay, thanks for the advice and for helping everyone <33

My mom said if tommorow it still hurts she'll take me to the doc. so if I find out what it is, i'll be sure to let you know <3

(#10 (permalink)) Old
silentmuffin Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 02:50 PM

Any type of infection can cause swollen lymph nodes. The most likely cause is that you just have a virus of some sort. The lymph nodes swell up because you're producing more white blood cells to fight off the infection. A lot of times that causes fever, fatigue, and headaches. It most likely isn't anything serious to worry about, but it can't hurt to go see your doctor.

Aš tave myliu, Nanny. I'm carrying your love with me.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
SillyBunny Offline
<33 Lisa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmuffin View Post
Any type of infection can cause swollen lymph nodes. The most likely cause is that you just have a virus of some sort. The lymph nodes swell up because you're producing more white blood cells to fight off the infection. A lot of times that causes fever, fatigue, and headaches. It most likely isn't anything serious to worry about, but it can't hurt to go see your doctor.

Okay thanks, and yeah i think i got fever now.. im burning up
<3

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Hero_Of_Blade Offline
Flawed Shadow
Average Joe

Name: Autumn

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 25th 2009, 03:28 PM

Lymph nodes are great things except when they are being... tempermental
It's the bodies way of saying get checked out.

Seriously head off to your doctor, they're the best people to tell you what's up.
but otherwise drink lots of water and try not to eat any nonsense food.
And rest lots... lots and lots of it.

Once you see the doctor try and do what he tells you to.

But I'm sure you'll be fine hun

you know you can PM me if you need anything okay? =]

EDIT: swollen lymph nodes doesn't mean anythign in particular, if you've ever been unwell you'll know that under every circumstance some gland somewhere swells up. Lymph nodes are like the bodies armory where the store all the stuff to kill bacteria, AND stress can cause the body to act ill.

Last edited by Hero_Of_Blade; January 25th 2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: remembered soemthing that I forgot
  Send a message via MSN to Hero_Of_Blade  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
SillyBunny Offline
<33 Lisa
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 26th 2009, 11:18 AM

so my mom felt again this morning and said "hmm its a litle less".. meaning shes not taking me to the doc..

i'll just have to wait for it to go away on its own..

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: glands/lymph things.. - January 28th 2009, 07:59 PM

Swollen glands could mean a lot of things. Only a doctor would be able to tell you. But I'd suggest if it persists for more than a few days, definitely take a visit to the doc. It could be something as trivial as a small allergic reaction, and I don't want to scare you, but it is also a symptom of some serious diseases. So if it gets worse or doesn't seem to go away for a few days, go to the doctor.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

Closed Thread