TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jenna

Braces D: - January 28th 2009, 03:08 PM

On Monday, I had my braces tightened for the first time in about five months (long story). They hurt, yay! Really, honestly, I enjoy the pain, it means I will have a pretty smile in...two and a half years. Which is, sucktastically, at the end of my sophomore year in college. *Twirls finger*

To my question, I only have braces on the top because my top teeth are worse than the bottom, which might take seven or eight months, tops, to fix. Monday, my orthodontist took off the powerchains that had been on and replaced them with a normal wire, so naturally it's twinging a bit...er, all over my mouth? Teeth shouldn't be hurting on the bottom, should they? It's not like I don't brush them; sure, I forget occasionally, but I brush at least once a day and floss about the same, so it's not due to a cavity or anything. Is it normal to hurt on the bottom even though there aren't any appliances there? Could it possibly be because my jaw is starting to shift like it's supposed to?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Braces D: - January 28th 2009, 04:48 PM

I happen to have braces on both my top and bottom however only regularly get my top ones tightened. I find I have the same soreness on the bottom when my top ones are tightened as well. I asked about this and my orthodontist told me that it is indeed due to the shift. It will effect your whole mouth, you just won't have the added effect of the bottom teeth being straightened by the braces. You should also be brushing at least 2-4 times a day when you have braces, believe me... I made the mistake of maintaining my normal brushing habits the first year I had them on, and was plagued with multiple cavities. When you have braces they tend to sneak into every awkward crevice of your tooth, so brushing and flossing more often is a must!

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Braces D: - January 28th 2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compassionate Minds View Post
On Monday, I had my braces tightened for the first time in about five months (long story). They hurt, yay! Really, honestly, I enjoy the pain, it means I will have a pretty smile in...two and a half years. Which is, sucktastically, at the end of my sophomore year in college. *Twirls finger*

To my question, I only have braces on the top because my top teeth are worse than the bottom, which might take seven or eight months, tops, to fix. Monday, my orthodontist took off the powerchains that had been on and replaced them with a normal wire, so naturally it's twinging a bit...er, all over my mouth? Teeth shouldn't be hurting on the bottom, should they? It's not like I don't brush them; sure, I forget occasionally, but I brush at least once a day and floss about the same, so it's not due to a cavity or anything. Is it normal to hurt on the bottom even though there aren't any appliances there? Could it possibly be because my jaw is starting to shift like it's supposed to?
You don't see the progress that your teeth make all the time. He/she might be moving your teeth different directions for a reason. My dentist moved my back teeth forward because he knew other teeth were coming in. If I didn't get that done I feel like there might have been huge problems now.

Yes, the bottom teeth are supposed to hurt. I hated getting my rubber-bands changed, especially by one of the assistants, it hurt so bad.

The orthodontist knows best. Just take painkillers everyday, like Tylenol or Ibuprofen, that are non-addicting. Stay away from sandwiches (the bread gets stuck in your brackets) and hard foods. Gum was never a problem with me.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jenna

Re: Braces D: - January 28th 2009, 05:20 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that my orthodontist is incompetent, and if it sounds that way, it wasn't my intention. I don't really like the idea of having these on for so long, but he has done a good job so far. My teeth have moved a ton for only having had them tightened seven times. Really, I'm not upset at him or anything. And I was serious about enjoying the pain.

The lowers are going on in March. I am looking forward to it. :]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Braces D: - January 28th 2009, 05:24 PM

I remember my boyfriend talking about this when he had braces.. I think when you move one thing in your teeth, your whole mouth is affected because of the nerves and stuff.

Getting your braces tightened sucks.. but at least you're going to have a pretty smile soon =)

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

Last edited by St.Vincent; January 28th 2009 at 05:55 PM.

Closed Thread