TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
noodle Offline
:)
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: nicky

cancer ?? :( - January 28th 2010, 04:23 PM

heeey, so i think i might have cancer... bad times
i already wrote a blog on it but thaught id write something here too because i want as many comments as possible because i have no idea what to do
if i do have cancer, its cancer of the vulva! how horrible! iv known something has been wrong for a while now but i was twelve or something when it started and waaayyy to embaraced to tell anyone! im now almost 16 and realising i have got to do something about it soon because it could be my life at stake!
any advice on what to do??
obviously i am wayyy to scared to tell my mum, and scared to go to a doctor! but i think i might have to make an appointment on my own! i have never been on my own before and im not really sire what to do, also, unfortunately, my mums friend works in the local surgery aahh, do i try to avoid her, or purposefully talk to her to ask her not to mention anything?
or if you think i am going to have to tell my mum how do i do it??
and what if i do have cancer and need surgery or chemo or something, how do i tell my family thatt?????
how does anyone deal with this i dont even seem to be able to believe that its happening to me

aaaaaaah, also i have a boyfriend, its a really recent thing because we have been friends for ages and i really like him! i mean really really, its not just a kid crush thing. because its recent we havent done anything more than kissing but if i dont let him start taking it further he will start wondering... but obviously i cant because he will most probably notice that somethings wrong with me, i dont want to tell him! i cant! do i end it now to save the trouble... ? help
  Send a message via MSN to noodle  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: cancer ?? :( - January 28th 2010, 06:00 PM

Hey Nicky,
I had a recent cancer scare and I have to be honest it was the most horrible time of my life and it was really scary.
With things like this you have to be fast.
Please consult someone and get seen by your GP. The best thing you can do is speak to your family and they can help you through this as it's a terrifying time.
Paige xox

*Edit*
I don't feel like I posted anything nearly as constructive as I could have done so thought I'd come back and edit this.

Seems like you have been worried about this for quite some time so the best thing you can do for yourself is put your mind at rest and find out.
In this day and age there is so much that can be done for people who have cancer. The sooner cancer is found the better.
You really need to have this investigated by your GP because they can refer you to the hospital and have all the necessary tests done as soon as possible. I know it is scary, I have been through it and it took me until not even 2 weeks ago find out it was not cancer. For me it was terrifying not knowing so I can understand that you need to know for your own piece of mind.
Your mum's friend has to respect patient confidentiality but obviously if it is something more sinister your mum would have the right to know- not because she's your mum's friend but because it's probably the law where you live.
At least then you will have someone you know around so if anything that should be comforting to you.
I think you might be getting yourself worked up for something that may not be, the chances of you having cancer at such a young age are pretty slim so just go and put your mind at rest.

Maybe you could confide in your boyfriend, he might be able to help support you right now. The saying a problem shared is a problem halved it is so true.
So I hope things work out for you.
Love Paige xox

Last edited by xxpaigiexx; January 28th 2010 at 08:35 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: cancer ?? :( - January 28th 2010, 06:39 PM

The best thing you can do is go and get it checked out as soon as possible. I had a cancer scare ages back and it played on my mind so I went to the doctors and it turns out everything was fine. You need to go soon though since if you do have cancer then it's better to catch it sooner rather than later.
Your mum's friend will most likely not mention it to your mum since as far as I know they have to obey patient confidentiality rules too.
As for telling your mum it might be better to do it in a letter if you don't feel comfortable doing it face to face.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: cancer ?? :( - January 28th 2010, 07:20 PM

as i said on your blog it is extremely unlikely that it is cancer. i cannot stress enough that you need to go and see your doctor, asap. no one can diagnose you apart from a doctor and the sooner you book an appointment and go, the better. please try not to get too stressed about this - more likely than not it is something that will be easily treatable. you don't have to tell your mum but i think it would be a good idea if i'm honest!. i do know what it's like to be scared, i've had cancer twice myself and i'm now in remission.. but what i do know is that cancer in people our age is very, very, very unusual so try and stay calm as best you can.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Mountain Dew Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: cancer ?? :( - January 29th 2010, 11:09 PM

You need to get it checked. The earlier, the better.

In September of 2008, they found a cancerous tumor (benign) in my left shoulder. They told me it was a good thing that I went to the doctors to check it out, because if I waited any longer, things could have been way worse for me. I only had to go through three cycles of chemotherapy.

Maybe you don't have cancer. You should go get checked ASAP, you'll feel a lot better.

And if you do... I hope you get through everything okay. Believe it or not, but all of the support I was getting from friends and family made me felt like all I had was a bad cold. Support from your loved ones will get you through anything.

Good luck, and I hope you're okay.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: cancer ?? :( - January 29th 2010, 11:18 PM

You need to go into an appointment and get this checked out soon, with your mom. I think you need to tell them about this because if you do have cancer, you can't lie to them about it and hide it from them. I know you don't want to worry them or scare them, but they need to be in on you with this. They need to know what's going on so they can help you through this. Your mom's friend may be able to help you, too. Try to be strong and hang in there, and I hope it isn't cancer and I wish you health!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Emzy Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: cancer ?? :( - January 30th 2010, 07:37 PM

Have it checked ASAP. Although isn't 15 a bit young to have cancer down there? Seeing as it's male's who pass the cells on to women through sex, so unless you're extremely sexually active I doubt it's cancer.
  Send a message via MSN to Emzy Send a message via Skype™ to Emzy 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: cancer ?? :( - February 3rd 2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emzy View Post
Have it checked ASAP. Although isn't 15 a bit young to have cancer down there? Seeing as it's male's who pass the cells on to women through sex, so unless you're extremely sexually active I doubt it's cancer.
while 80% of people diagnosed with vulval cancer are over 60, it's not unheard of for people as young as teens to get it. you don't actually have to be sexually active to get vulval or cervical cancer..

OP, did you go to the doctor yet?

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: cancer ?? :( - February 4th 2010, 12:17 AM

Time is VERY precious when it comes to cancer. Get it checked!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread