TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Lack of Energy and Concentration - February 8th 2010, 08:11 PM

I know I posted a thread here before about being tired all the time, so I tried eating healthier, getting a set routine, etc. and seriously, nothing has helped. I wake up and all I want to do is fall back asleep. Not because I hate the world or anything, but because I'm generally exhausted. I force myself to get up and all day I have this groggy feeling like it's almost time for bed when it's far from it. I feel a bit better after 10 minutes on my elliptical machine, but if I go on it for longer than 30 minutes, all I can do afterward is lay on the floor for a while.

This is also affecting my concentration. Sometimes I can barely finish reading sentences. I'm seriously lagging behind in schoolwork and I'm terrified of what will happen when I go off to college, because caffeine doesn't affect me, and I heard that's pretty much the only way you can survive during exams.

My mom says this is all because I don't sleep enough. I sleep 8-10 hours a night, and this has been happening for months. It gets worse every day. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Lack of Energy and Concentration - February 9th 2010, 03:58 AM

If you wake up tired, it's either because you're not getting enough sleep, or because you don't sleep well enough. If you sleep 7-8 hours and still wake up tired, you’re probably getting poor sleep - i.e. not in a deep sleep, etc. Do you dream often? Or have multiple dreams in one night, more often than an isolated dream?

You may be suffering from a physical disorder. However, It’s more likely that your sleep is damaged by stress, bad habits or outside conditions, such as shift work or a noisy environment.
You could try going to sleep 30 minutes earlier and waking up 30 minutes earlier too. That way you can know if before you were waking up during your 'deep sleep', which is the stage of sleep where, simply put, you're least conscious.
You could also try using two alarm clocks, with the earlier one set around 40 minutes before you want to wake up, and having a more quieter, gentler chime/tune.

Or it could be that you're sleeping too much. Sleeping too much can cause you to wake up exhausted, more than 7.5 hours of sleep each night can cause this, and as you've been sleeping that long for quite a while, I think this is most likely the problem. You are definitely sleeping enough, it's either down to your quality of sleep, or over-sleeping.

When you can't get to sleep, get up and do something quiet in another room (so as not to let your mind associate your bedroom with the anxiety of sleep problems). Avoid alcohol, exercise, and big meals close to bedtime, but don't go to sleep hungry either. Also, avoid caffeine 6 hours before you go to bed it can keep you awake and on any medications/supplements containing caffeine 6 hours is the suggested minimum.

Your lack of concentration should improve once you start to feel less tired, if not, you may want to look up the causes of it, as an isolated issue. Currently, I think it's most likely connected to your tiredness.
I hope this helps.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Lack of Energy and Concentration - February 9th 2010, 04:34 PM

Compassionate Soul has given a fab answer above me, and there's not much more I want to add.

I will say however, that if this continues for another two weeks, I would certainly consider seeing a doctor. He may just tell that your run down with stress, and lack/excessive sleep etc.

OR, he find a physical condition - like the above poster hinted at. The first thing that sprang to my mind when I read through your post is the condition called ''Chronic Fatigue Syndrome'' or ''M.E''. As you can tell from the name, it is simply a condition where the patient is always tired to the point where they find simple activities tiring.

Maybe you could Google this idea and see if some of the symptoms match your own - but definitely see a doctor if they do :]

I hope this helps
Claire x

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

Closed Thread