TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
water_lily1993 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

WORMS. IM DESPERATE. - February 23rd 2010, 12:03 AM

this is disgusting i know but i dont know where else to turn. i am 100% sure i have pinworms. im a clean person, but aparently their really common and their airborne or can be injested just by touching someone who has them or sharing clothes or bedding. most people never know they even have them. i went to my mother but she laughed at me saying i was over reacting. so i went to the docter and they took a test but as i was reading it up on the internet it said pinworms are undetectable in the type of test she did...so shes stupid for even doing that test. and the test came back negative. so anyway i cant tell my mom again or anyone else its super embarrassing and cant handle that stress especially right now. but then i found information that these pinworms actually can help keep your weight down...and im scared to get a medication that can be bought at a store because im scared ill gain weight when they go away. like im slightly over weight because im currently recovering from anorexia. i cant even contemplate gaining weight. i know ill become obsessed again if i gain weight. so what do i do? live with the worms in fear of getting fatter? or get rid of them and sacrifice my weight?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: WORMS. IM DESPERATE. - February 23rd 2010, 03:21 PM

Hey,

Having pinworms MAY cause weight and appetite loss, but only in the case of severe infections. So I wouldn't think that getting treated would cause a significant amount of weight gain back, if any. I would worry more about your health than your weight right now. Try calling the doctor's office and asking for an additional type of testing, or maybe talk to your school nurse about your options. Hope this helps,
Megan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: WORMS. IM DESPERATE. - February 23rd 2010, 08:19 PM

What makes you think you have pinworms? What symptoms do you have? x

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ox In A Box Offline
Not a n00b

Re: WORMS. IM DESPERATE. - February 24th 2010, 02:53 AM

Yeah, I would also like to know what symptoms you are experiencing.

Now a couple of things about pinworms....they are freakin tiny. I agree 100% with Daydreamer, they only cause weight loss in extremely severe infections especially in young children. I'm going to be very blunt with you: you should not think that you're going to gain weight by getting rid of the worms.

You want to know how you diagnose pinworms? Well, the females come out of the anal region at night and lay eggs outside of the anus. Gross? Yeah. So what you do is you stick a piece of Scotch Tape near your anal region before going to bed. That way the eggs attach to the tape and then you'll be able to see them under a microscope. You have to do this for a few days. This is appropriately called the Scotch Tape test.

And that's your fun fact of the day.

Closed Thread