TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Markteenhelp Offline
Mark, Michael, Bry
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Mark

workouts and ripped comments please - February 26th 2010, 09:42 PM

Hey all ive been workin out for the past year. I bench 200 pounds curl 50 pounds 100 pull ups and do 100 sit ups and run abt 2 miles a day. I went to the chiropractor today for my back been seeing him for a year and a half now and i was talkin to him about my workouts and he said he dont believe me about my 100 pull ups which really ticked me off. Anyways i came home and posting this thread. I want to get more ripped and get bigger arms and abs. Any workout routines appreciated or work out sites. Any suggestions comment welcome ty all.
P.S i have a Total Gym if know any work outs for that that would be helpful to

Learn from yesterday
live for today
hope for tomarrow

(#2 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: workouts and ripped comments please - February 27th 2010, 09:07 AM

First - does he need to believe you?

Pull ups - what grip are you using, what body shape do you maintain during them, and what variations do you use?

Standard reverse-grip pull ups (chin ups) work exactly the same muscles as many press ups and curl exercises. If you are doing just these, and allowing your legs to bend, your chiropractor will not see any major difference to your muscle structure.
Also, your weight and body fat percentage will make a difference to how these affect your development and if any hypertrophy occurs.

As you are 18, based on the rest of the workout you've described I would believe that you can do 100 pull ups, but wouldn't be sure if you were doing them every day.
People at the top of their game (I'm a gymnastics coach) rarely find themselves doing more than 50 of the same body-weight exercise, with the obvious exceptions of press ups and sit ups.
However instead of doing hundreds of these, we vary them. There are easily 10 different types of upper body and ab exercises that are similar enough to press ups and sit ups that children can learn them.

If you want TotalGym exercises, just look it up on YouTube, some results for that come up nearly every time I search something exercise related.

If you want bigger arms and abs, then you need to increase the weights and do faster reps. For toning we use lighter weights and faster reps but you're wanting increased muscle mass so you need heavier and faster. Build the weights slowly, and pay attention to your technique with your increase in speed - sloppy technique means you won't build the muscles correctly!

You also may find it beneficial if you are wanting to bulk up to eat protein rich foods. Proteins give a larger amount of energy than carbohydrates and aid muscle growth and development. Many powders for protein shakes are available cheaply and are effective.

Good luck with your stuff.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Markteenhelp Offline
Mark, Michael, Bry
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Mark

Re: workouts and ripped comments please - February 28th 2010, 05:16 AM

Awsome thanks for the help Jesh. If anyone wants to comment im still accepting more suggestions to add to my list

Learn from yesterday
live for today
hope for tomarrow

Closed Thread