TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Elle
Average Joe

Name: Elle

Question Vocal Chord problems - March 3rd 2010, 01:42 AM

I recently got told I was suffering from nodules on my vocal chords.. they've been causing me distress for like 9 months but I only just recently got myself to the hospital for an exam.

I have to have vocal coaching but for the next few months I'm not allowed to sing, shout or talk too much until I'm rested up and healed. I won't know if I'm healed until my check up in 6 months.

This is unfortunate as I am a naturally loud speaker, my university course requires me to talk a lot, as do my extra curricular involvements. Plus I love to sing.

I keep finding myself singing and then I shout at myself for singing.. then I get annoyed that I've shouted at myself.

Has anyone had the same diagnosis? How did you cope? I've thought about keeping a sing/shout jar.. anytime I find myself singing/shouting or overexerting use of my voice I'll put money in a jar but I don't know if this would work or not. Help?!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Vocal Chord problems - March 4th 2010, 09:22 PM

Ah, this really is an awful thing to have to go through. I love singing, i do it at every possible opportunity and although i've never had any serious problems with my vocal chords, i do get a lot of sore throats. I'm not sure if you've heard of these but there are some really good lozenges called 'vocalzone'. I'm not sure to what extent they would help you but if you do have a sore throat as a result of this then it may help

Good luck.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Vocal Chord problems - March 4th 2010, 11:25 PM

Hey Elle!

I'm a speech-pathology major, so I know all about vocal nodules (took a class about them last semester), and actually, one of my friends was just diagnosed with them as well. So, I'm a bit of an expert

It's really frustrating to have to abide by treatment and do what is required of you. My friend is suffering with that as well, as she is naturally a fast, loud speaker, and now constantly has to self-monitor her rate of speech and loudness level. The way she is coping is remembering that this is a short-term thing she has to do, so that there's no long-term damage. If left untreated, nodules can lead to other, more severe pathologies, and it's just not worth it to take that risk, you know?

That being said, I know how miserable it can be to not be able to do what you want to do. Are you in speech therapy, or seeing any sort of doctor for treatment? If so, work with them with your frustrations. Otherwise, try to be gentle with yourself. It's a big life change right now, and it's going to take getting used to! So, if you do sing without meaning to, instead of yelling at yourself, just stop. It's just a mistake, and then move on with your day! You know? It'll get easier with practice, but in the meantime, be nice to yourself. And let yourself do other things you enjoy, so you won't feel so miserable about it all.

Take care and don't hesitate to PM me with anything!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
Closed Thread