TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
becky Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

old hag syndrome - February 2nd 2009, 11:10 AM

(credit to Christine for first telling me what this was.)

Old hag syndrome is actually sleep paralysis. Sleep Paralysis is when your body is in R.E.M. sleep (usually the sleep in which lucid dreams occur) and your mind wakes up, yet your body remains sleeping. You are almost completely paralyzed, as in R.E.M. sleep, so you basically wake up, you can't breathe all too well (your chest muscles are paralyzed), and you have this, feeling of overwhelming doom.. and you can't move or scream. But you can see and hear and feel. And it's possibly the scariest thing ever.

Wikipedia says 15% of all people will expeirience it sometime in there life. that doesn't seem like much to me, esp. since I think I might have a problem.

see, I get sleep paralysis at least 3-4 times a month. Always within the first 15 minutes of sleep, and it seems to almost always incite a flashback of past trauma for me. So I'll be paralyzed, and be having a flashback.

I checked to see what causes it, but it seems like stress and sleep posistion are some of the only causes, I sleep on my side. It says if you sleep on your back it's more likely. It has happened when I slept on my back a few times though.

any advice? anyone else expeirienced sleep paralysis?
  Send a message via AIM to becky  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TibbySkye Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Tibby

Re: old hag syndrome - February 2nd 2009, 12:11 PM

Yep I have it if I take a nap during the day. I always end up on my back not being able to wake up.
I've had it for about a year. I basically try not to take too many naps and not fall asleep when I'm angry or upset.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: old hag syndrome - February 2nd 2009, 01:59 PM

I went through a saga of about two or three weeks where this kept happening to me. It is a truly terrifying sensation. I tried to scream, but I couldn't... my heart was pounding in my ears. Honestly, it feels like you're dying. And than suddenly snap out of it. I hate that more than anything. To me, it's possibly the worst feeling in the world. If I were you, I wouldn't be able to stand it. I'm not sure what could be causing it, but I'd see a doctor to get some sleep meds. I really hate that feeling.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

Closed Thread