TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Forgotten Offline
Not a n00b

Getting a 6 pack? - March 9th 2010, 04:53 AM

Hey guys - gotta make this quikc since I'm going to school soon.

A six pack for men requires about -- percent body fat to show - I currently am -- (lol :\). I tried Googling tips for body fat loss - I already know it contains of a good diet and cardio excerise, but could anyone specify? Will treadmill cut it? Also - what kind of diet? :\

Thanks.

Edit: No weight related numbers, please.

Last edited by Pandamonium; March 15th 2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Weight related numbers

(#2 (permalink)) Old
<3
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Getting a 6 pack? - March 9th 2010, 07:10 PM

A treadmill is a good start, but nothing quite beats the outdoors and venturing around the neighborhood. Sad to say it, but walking doesn't usually cut it. You need to do more than that. =/ Pushups, crunches, etc would also help burn fat off of other parts of your body as well. Walking keeps your heart healthy and give you leg muscle, but it doesn't do much for your gut, arms, or chin.

Just remember not to strain yourself too much when exercising.

As for eating...I'm not sure if I'm really cut out to advise you on that. Maybe looking into the food pyramid and daily calorie intake would suffice?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Getting a 6 pack? - March 14th 2010, 04:36 AM

I am getting close to a six pack right now. I've been lifting weights for a while, started off really skinny (with a six pack) then gained a fair amount of muscle (along with a little fat).

It's truly a lifestyle change. There are many ways to get a cut midsection, but at 22% bodyfat, you're gonna need to work out your whole body, get a lot of protein in your diet, and start learning to lift weights. The big three exercises to focus on would be bench press, squats and deadlifts (or rows- some decide not to do deadlifts). These will develop your core indirectly. Other compound exercises (that work more than one part of the body at once) are overhead press, pullups, and lunges. For isolation of the abs, I'd recommend decline situps, leg lifts, and glute- ham raises.

As for diet, whole grains, lean beef, chicken, fish, lots of leafy greens like spinach, and healthy fats (like in NATURAL peanut butter and almond butter) should do you good. Be sure to try and cut out soda, and drink more water as well.

I am personally a big fan of the cyclic ketogenic diet, because of the results in fat loss/ muscle retention I have experienced while using it.

The two sites that have helped me the most are:

www.bodybuilding.com (including the forums)

www.exrx.net (lots of exercise/ nutrition info, including gifs on how to do exercises)

Good luck! Don't just cut down for summer, make it a lifestyle change!!!

-Bearded Lifter

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Getting a 6 pack? - March 16th 2010, 12:03 AM

I've actually heard the treadmill doesn't do too much. It's good to exersise even with the treadmill, but it won't help to give you a 6 pac.
If you want a six pac I suggest doing lots of sit-ups. Those will tighten your muscle and harden it in the chest and stomach area, and tone it more. Don't overwork yourself though, it takes awhile to get to a 6 pac and it's not too good to overwork yourself or strain yourself.
As for nutritious foods, I would suggest tons of fruits and veggies, and oatmeal is good for you too, fibre and maybe get some multi-vitamins, ask your doctor which one of those would be best.

Closed Thread