TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kathryn Offline
crazy cat lady.
Not a n00b

Name: Kathryn

c2 deficient, IgA raised.. what is wrong with me? - March 23rd 2010, 12:39 AM

Hi all. I've been an on and off member for a few years now. I've been struggling with medical issues for basically my whole life, but within the past 5 years or so it's been so extreme. I've had to leave school and am struggling to get through each day. I try to keep an active life to the best of my ability although most of my friends have abandoned me because they think I am crazy.

I have been in and out of the hospital and seeing many doctors for a long time, and they basically said they have no idea what is wrong with me. I was diagnosed as having a sleep disorder called Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome and then was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and then Raynauds.. and dun dun dun dahhhh, none of which are curable or even really treatable!

After living with the 'you really don't have anything wrong with you it's all in your head' diagnoses for years, when I've recently had a relapse with my problems to the extreme (very stressful past couple months) I knew there had to be something more to it.

After a few failed attempts at finding a caring doctor, I found a rheumatologist who.. CARED!! and was INTERESTED in finding an answer and *gasp* even a treatment or cure for me!! So now she's been running all kinds of tests from A-Z and within the 1 visit and past couple weeks of her researching things, I've gotten further with her than any of the other doctors combined.

Okay, well let's get down to business. So, my more advanced bloodwork showed this-

*Severely Vitamin D deficient
*Elevated IgA levels
*c2 deficient

So putting all this together with my numerous symptoms (joint pain, headaches, fatigue.. etc etc) it looks like we are bouncing between Celiac Disease and Systemic Lupus.

Okay, so the vitamin deficiency is what points toward celiac, due to my body not being able to properly absorb things. The IgA thing just means I have -SOME- sort of autoimmune disease. It could be really ANY AI disease though.

The c2 thing though is what really stood out. She just called me about this today. I could BARELY find any information about it online.

Here is the information about it that I did find from places-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complement_component_2

Quote:
Complement C2 is a protein that in humans is encoded by the C2 gene.[1] The protein encoded by this gene is part of the classical pathway of complement system.
Activated C1 cleaves C2 into C2a and C2b. C2a leads to activation of C3. Deficiency of C2 has been reported to associated with certain autoimmune diseases.[1]

http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/weba...2565&zoneid=67

Quote:
It is estimated that C2 deficiency occurs in one out of 10,000 people, nearly one-third of whom will develop lupus, and it is the most common single-gene deficiency seen in people with lupus.

http://lupus.webmd.com/laboratory-te...ate-sle?page=2

Quote:
Complement proteins constitute a serum enzyme system that helps mediate inflammation. Complement components are triggered into an activated form by such immunologic events as interaction with immune complexes. Complement components are identified by numbers (C1, C2, etc.). Genetic deficiencies of C1q, C2, and C4, although rare, are commonly associated with SLE. A test to evaluate the entire complement system is called CH50. The most commonly measured complement components are the serum level of C3 and C4. These tests are particularly useful in evaluating kidney involvement and in monitoring the disease over time.

Acckk! So what does this all mean?! Has anyone out there ever heard of this stuff??!! This c2 thing is apparently pretty dang rare! Leave it to me to end up with this!

I still am likely going for an endoscopy and biopsy for celiac but this whole situation is crazy. help!

~kathryn

four million+ will be killed in shelters this year.
don't shop. adopt.

spay & neuter saves lives.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: c2 deficient, IgA raised.. what is wrong with me? - March 25th 2010, 04:34 PM

Closed by request.

Closed Thread