TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Markteenhelp Offline
Mark, Michael, Bry
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Mark

Eating to build muscle but to also watch weight - March 31st 2010, 03:20 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of eating disorders, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey all i know this sounds wierd but i want a diet that is good to build muscle i work out every other day but i dont want a diet where i will gain weight if i dont work out that day from the carbs/calories. If anyone can give me some advise/sites or give some ideas of good diets greatly appreciated

Learn from yesterday
live for today
hope for tomarrow

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eljoria Offline
I'mAlwaysHereHelping. (:
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: Eating to build muscle but to also watch weight - April 3rd 2010, 05:20 PM

I'd recommend you stick to the plan where you'll eat healthy breakfast at a certain time and do your daily activities but don't eat anything between the times, and at lunch eat healthy or your choice but if your eating any junk food, I consider you having junk food once every 2 weeks as the body will beat it. and at dinner your choice.

Should be fine for you. As it worked for me.
  Send a message via MSN to Eljoria  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Eating to build muscle but to also watch weight - April 4th 2010, 06:18 AM

Um okay if you're building muscle, you're going to gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat. Muscle is made out of fat so you won't be gaining fat if you're gaining muscle.

If you want to build muscle muscle, eat iron. There's lots of it in certain fruits and vegetables and red meat. Also, if you want to build muscle you can't do a weight training workout every day. You need at least a day's rest for your muscles to rebuild in between.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Eating to build muscle but to also watch weight - April 6th 2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljoria View Post
I'd recommend you stick to the plan where you'll eat healthy breakfast at a certain time and do your daily activities but don't eat anything between the times, and at lunch eat healthy or your choice but if your eating any junk food, I consider you having junk food once every 2 weeks as the body will beat it. and at dinner your choice.

Should be fine for you. As it worked for me.
Most serious lifters eat more than 3x a day. The idea works for the majority of people that lift weights, and even benefits people that do not lift. Eating 3x a day WITH SNACKS IN BETWEEN keeps your metabolism going through the TEM (thermic effect of a meal). Generally speaking, a person's metabolism slows down between meals because your body has to sustain the energy the calories of the meal you just ate provided until you get to your next meal. Less time between meals = less time for your metabolism to slow down. The only diet I have seen that does NOT use this idea is called the Warrior Diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Um okay if you're building muscle, you're going to gain weight because muscle weighs more than fat. Muscle is made out of fat so you won't be gaining fat if you're gaining muscle.

If you want to build muscle muscle, eat iron. There's lots of it in certain fruits and vegetables and red meat. Also, if you want to build muscle you can't do a weight training workout every day. You need at least a day's rest for your muscles to rebuild in between.
Muscle is more dense than fat, it doesn't weigh more. They are two different tissues- muscle is not made out of fat.

In terms of diet, I would say you are going to have to determine what works with your body. Some people enjoy ketogenic diets, and that works for them (both muscle gain and fat loss), where some people do well on a high carbohydrate diet. Just try and tinker around and see what works for you. If you are serious about lifting OP, try doing some research on www.bodybuilding.com (check the forums as well) and www.exrx.net

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

Last edited by Choose; April 6th 2010 at 08:06 PM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Eating to build muscle but to also watch weight - April 7th 2010, 06:48 AM

Just don't overdo the calorie surplus basically. And if you're going to be alternating between workout days and relatively inactive days, adjusting your carb levels between the days could probably also be of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Muscle is made out of fat
lolwut

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Eating to build muscle but to also watch weight - April 7th 2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Just don't overdo the calorie surplus basically. And if you're going to be alternating between workout days and relatively inactive days, adjusting your carb levels between the days could probably also be of use.

lolwut
x2...............

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Alicia.C Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alicia

Re: Eating to build muscle but to also watch weight - April 12th 2010, 05:34 AM

[Edited]
I'd suggest some Whey Protien since you do work out. Some websites has workouts for you to do and also suggests a lot of different foods for you to eat for your personal goal.

Last edited by eunoia; April 15th 2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Please do not advertise anywhere on TeenHelp.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: Eating to build muscle but to also watch weight - April 15th 2010, 03:31 AM

A lot depends on your current body composition. If you're overweight, it's best to run a calorie deficit and focus on sustaining muscle rather than expecting dramatic increases. Once your body fat is down [Edited], run a surplus along with weight training and light cardio to gain muscle. You'll also gain weight -- there will be no fat to displace, but as long as you stay within [Edited] your daily caloric needs you will probably gain very little fat.

If you're just starting out and are overweight, try running a slight calorie deficit, in my experience you will still be able to gain some muscle even while holding or losing weight.

If you're underweight, run a surplus (obviously), but don't rush it or you risk gaining a lot of fat in addition to muscle. A
[Edited: Read "small"] increase a week is a good goal.

Generally, it's best to stay away from a high carb diet -- foods with a high glycemic index cause blood sugar spikes and excessive insulin release may have detrimental effects on muscle development. Also, the body metabolizes carbs before fat, which will make burning any excess fat more difficult. Try to aim for 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat, and remember that fat contains 9g fat per gram as opposed to 4g for the other two. A balanced diet can only help, the "fast food" bulk may or may not work in the short term but will almost certaintly hurt in the long run.

Last edited by eunoia; April 15th 2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Please do not post weight or weight-related numbers (calories, body fat, etc) anywhere on TeenHelp.

Closed Thread