TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rebecca110109 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rebecca

laxative story. - February 4th 2009, 03:21 PM

ive had constipation for ages, cos my diet aint so good anymore. i got sick of it and decided to get laxatives. the night before last i took them. the box said to take one to three. so i took three, not really thinking. the next morning i woke up real early and had major stomach pains where period pain normally is. so i ran to the toilet, the pain was getting worse and worse. then i started to feel sick, i knew i was gonna faint. i ran to my mums room and passed out on her floor. shes not exactly the happiest person, so of course, she was pissed at me. i didnt tell her bout the laxatives though, ashamed i guess. then i knew it was coming, so ran to the toilet. i felt sick for the rest of the day, so i just layed around the house. is this reaction normal to laxatives, or was it cos i hadnt eaten much the day before or what? im too scared to take em after that. i think ill stick to healthy diet. sorry bout all the detail ey.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TibbySkye Offline
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Tibby

Re: laxative story. - February 4th 2009, 03:41 PM

What brand did you take? I know that exlax causes pretty bad cramps. Next time try an herbal laxative that's more gentle. Taking it on an empty stomach isn't a good idea either.
As for your diet, eat plenty of fiber. That helps regulate your system. You can even buy fiber powder you put in your drink and can't taste it. Drink plenty of water. Other things you can add to your diet: whole grains, fruits and vegetables.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: laxative story. - February 4th 2009, 04:06 PM

oh gosh, doesn't sound like much fun at all! i feel your pain though, as i was on slow release morphine for a while which causes terrible constipation and was on laxatives for a while; often having some pretty unpleasent side affects. i'd suggest trying to help the constipation by changing your diet, eating brown bread, brown rice, fruits and vegetables.. basically things with a lot of fibre. also i found drinking plenty of water is helpful. if you need to use laxatives again, perhaps try a different brand?

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: laxative story. - February 4th 2009, 04:32 PM

If it was your first time taking laxatives, you should have tried one. Most name brands; like exlax, are pretty effective when only one is taken, so you may have taken a bit too much for your body to handle. That of course could also have been worsened by the fact that you didn't eat. If you ever choose to take them again, as stated above try a herbal laxative, and try yourself out with the minimum and only increase the dose if you must.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

Closed Thread