TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Swelling Freaking Everywhere - April 12th 2010, 04:20 AM

I'm going to a doctor soon, I'm waiting until next week because I have to wait for my mother to get paid. But I am going. For now I just want opinions on if I should go this week because it's a huge deal, or anything I can do to help.

My hands and feet keep swelling a lot. My feet, ankles, and part of my calves seem to swell at night. They itch and grow like three times they're size and I look like an idiot. I keep trying to put my feet up above my heart because that's what people keep telling me but they hurt so bad I can't really sit still.

Then my hands are swelling on and off. When I walk a far distance they swell to the point I can't even bend them. I tried pouring water on them today just to get them to stop hurting/itching. Again, I look like an idiot.
Another thing I'm not sure if it's related, but I'm constantly yawning. My friends kept making fun of me saying everytime they looked over my mouth was wide open xD

I was supposed to have a heart issue checked a while ago, not related to this, but could it be that? And if so how can I help it even for just a while? The other thing is swollen feet seems to run in my family and they've never been able to figure out what it is. -_-

I guess I just want opinions before I go to the doctor.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Alicia.C Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alicia

Re: Swelling Freaking Everywhere - April 12th 2010, 05:23 AM

Do you have any other symptoms besides the swelling and yawning? I know if you're retaining water, that can cause swelling, I believe high blood pressure causes swelling as well. Um, take a look at this website: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003104.htm and also this one: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/i/idio...dema/intro.htm

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Swelling Freaking Everywhere - April 12th 2010, 05:49 AM

Thanks! That's really helpful!

I mean, my body is always falling apart, but it's hard to tell what's related and what's not. I've been dehydrated for a while (not extremely, but I know no matter how much water I drink I want more) if that makes sense. I suppose that could be related, yes?

Water retention could be due to weather yeah? Perhaps just because it's started getting hot here again? I don't know if that's what it means. I do get my blood pressure checked regularly because of medication I'm on, so I don't have a problem with that unless it just started.

Now I'm just thinking and typing, but the goal of this post is to say thanks!
Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Alicia.C Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alicia

Re: Swelling Freaking Everywhere - April 12th 2010, 06:07 AM

Lol, you're very welcome! Have you looked at your prescriptions to see if swelling is a side effect? Heat can definitely cause swelling, I have that problem. I'm not too sure about water retention though. Do you do any sort of cardio work outs? Run or anything like that that makes you sweat? That may help if it's water retention. I think the amount of water you drink and feeling dehydtrated could have something to do with it, especiall if you're not peeing like a race horse! lol Then I would think it would be water retention. Have you tried anything else to quench your thirst? Maybe some lemon juice in an ice cold glass of water, or some peppermint water? I'm terrible with water personally, it gives me an extremely dry mouth.

Closed Thread