TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Extremely High Pulse...please help!!!!! :( - April 13th 2010, 03:40 AM

I have always had a resting pulse of 96 or right around there...this has been ever since I was born, and the doctors told me it's "nothing to worry about", and they have continued telling me that.

I took a some allergy meds earlier today that have never given me any problems before. An hour and a half later I was falling asleep, I assumed it was because I had barely slept at all the night before. But since I got hom this has gotten worse and worse, I can barely walk I just feel so completely drained of energy. And now I have a resting pulse of 128, which I know cannot be normal, because that's very high even for me.

I feel normal aside from the drowsiness. And I have a heart murmer, if that helps at all. And my blood pressure was...121/66 or something like that. I know the top is correct, I can't say about the bottom so much. I have no idea what the numbers mean, so it may or may not be significant.

I'm so scared, I read online I could have a very serious heart condition...It is very late here and I am reluctant to go to the emergency room for this, I would much rather wait until I can go to an urgent care clinic that will take an hour versus 8 hours. Please...just tell me if you think I have a high chance of dying tonight if I don't go...because if I do, I will...

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Extremely High Pulse...please help!!!!! :( - April 13th 2010, 03:34 PM

Righty,

Lets start with the facts bloody pressure is measured in two parts;

The systolic pressure is the maximum pressure in an artery at the moment when the heart is beating and pumping blood through the body.
The diastolic pressure is the lowest pressure in an artery in the moments between beats when the heart is resting

In a blood pressure reading the top number is the SYSTOLIC pressure and the bottom reading is the DIASTOLIC pressure.

High blood pressre can be any of these, as you can have a high systolic, disatolic or both could be high;
170/70
120/104
170/110

Although your blood pressure isn't low, it's not 'too' high either. Are you on medication for your heart murmer? As drugs can often medle with things like blood pressure? Also, pulse rates can differ due to drugs. The allergy tablets may have been 'drowsy' ones? Which do make you lethargic.

So, no I dont think your going to die tonight. But, if the symptoms continue then go to your docs

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
VitruvianDoc Offline
Medical Student
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Re: Extremely High Pulse...please help!!!!! :( - April 13th 2010, 04:25 PM

Have the doc's done a cardiac stress test? If not, might look into that.

As for the BP, its normal nothing to worry unless the top > 140 or bottom is >80 or <50

B.S. in Biology, Minor in Chemistry - May 2010
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - May 2014

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ReyZ Offline
In a game without rules
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rey

Re: Extremely High Pulse...please help!!!!! :( - April 14th 2010, 04:22 PM

Wait is this your heart your talking about at a resting pulse of 128. Thats not good. you could be having an arithmia. You should seriously get checked out and tell them. A resting pulse of that can be painful.

have you had the following symptoms?
hard to breath?
tired all the time?
green feeling?
headache or stomache ache?
Usually if it's under a hundred doctors dont see a pationt expecially if they have no history of heart or related problems. Get in to see a heart specified doctor and explain what is happening. If they blow it off. Tell them to at least book you an echo or a stress test. (also i suggest taking in a paper with the dates times and rates of your pulse to provide evidence.)
Also maybe you should take your allergy meds with you. They might be the reason your pulse is sky rocketing.
You need to catch this problem in the bud because it can get worse. rarley better.
A heart murmer? That would mean youd have a small hole in your heart? maybe? Then it could be a possible problem expecially if it gets larger then arithmia's are off set and can be deadly you might need to be put on meds to control it.
Such as Sotolal
or two others which i cant recall the names. (i take sotalol thats why) :P
Hope this helped. Wish you luck and hope you feel better.

Last edited by ReyZ; April 14th 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Closed Thread