TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

More medication woes. - April 14th 2010, 01:38 AM

I saw my psychiatrist yesterday and I'm now on double the dose of my antidepressant (40mg of celexa). The thing is I'm bipolar, I am taking a mood stabilizer with it but we're not sure what will happen.
When I was on just the 20mg I got hypomanic, I was wondering if anybody knew all the possible affects that antidepressants can have on bipolar people so I can prepare myself (if that's even possible). If I'm going to go insane and jump off my roof yelling "I can fly!" I'd at least like a little forewarning.
I know it's possible for them to become manic, but I also heard it's possible to rapid cycle because of it. Which would bring me to ask, what would this rapid cycling entail?

Member since 2005
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
VitruvianDoc Offline
Medical Student
Not a n00b

Name: Charles

Points: 8,915, Level: 13 Points: 8,915, Level: 13 Points: 8,915, Level: 13

Re: More medication woes. - April 14th 2010, 05:33 AM

40 mg of celexa really isn't high. When I was working at the pharmacy, we had people taking 80 to 100 mg at a time, or 40 mg in combo with SR 150 Wellbutrin.

As for the bipolar, it should make your mood swings lessen on each side meaning you will still go from mad to sad etc but not a severely, instead of being extremes, it will lessen to moderate levels or even less.

As for the cycling, as the body adapts to the meds, it may first induce rapid mood changes cycling from angry to sad within minutes or more. Happens rarely and usually passes quickly.

B.S. in Biology, Minor in Chemistry - May 2010
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - May 2014

"Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint." - Mark Twain

Closed Thread