TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xdismal.angelx Offline
Not a n00b

How do I get my voice back? - April 14th 2010, 11:29 AM

I lost my voice 2 days ago and it still hasn't come back yet. I have a choir concert in less than a month and I really need my voice for it. Is there any way to get it back quicker?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: How do I get my voice back? - April 14th 2010, 12:09 PM

Is it a strained voice, or lost cos of a sore throat?
For a sore throat honey and lemon tea can help, or gargling salt water (I know it's gross but it helps fight any infection).
Short of that, go and see your doctor, they can probably give you something for it ...

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
xdismal.angelx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How do I get my voice back? - April 14th 2010, 08:03 PM

The doctor said its laryngitis.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: How do I get my voice back? - April 14th 2010, 08:58 PM

I had laryngitis continuously last year and early on this year. I talk a lot and sing. Have they put you on any medication or given you any recommendations? Drink lots of water and tea.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
xdismal.angelx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How do I get my voice back? - April 14th 2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rie View Post
I had laryngitis continuously last year and early on this year. I talk a lot and sing. Have they put you on any medication or given you any recommendations? Drink lots of water and tea.
They just said to rest my voice and itll come back when its ready to.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: How do I get my voice back? - April 15th 2010, 04:09 AM

Stay hydrated! And I would recommend plenty of tea with honey. Honestly don't even try to use it for a few days. Like not even whispers. Carry around a notepad and if you're worried about preparing for your concert try sight reading along with the music/listening to someone play your part on the piano while you mouth the words.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
xdismal.angelx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How do I get my voice back? - April 16th 2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
Stay hydrated! And I would recommend plenty of tea with honey. Honestly don't even try to use it for a few days. Like not even whispers. Carry around a notepad and if you're worried about preparing for your concert try sight reading along with the music/listening to someone play your part on the piano while you mouth the words.
I can't even mouth words. I'm just worried that my voice won't be ready to get up to the notes I need to the day of the concert. I'm a 2nd saprano and in a couple of the songs were singing the notes get kinda high.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Elle
Average Joe

Name: Elle

Re: How do I get my voice back? - April 17th 2010, 01:07 AM

I have vocal coaching because I have vocal nodules (a problem with my vocal cords which causes me to lose my voice every week or so haha), I think I am quite equipped to answer this question haha.
The honey and lemon thing is a myth, my vocal coach told me there's no real research that swings more towards for or against the use of honey and lemon to get a voice back. If anything honey is BAD for your voice. It's sticky and thick and therefore will line your throat as it goes down to your stomach, thus causing an irritation of your vocal cords and the need to clear your throat. Clearing your throat when you lose your voice is VERY bad for your throat. It clears mucus, which is needed to keep your throat working properly and causes friction and irritation.
The main thing is MOISTURE. Your vocal cords will be working pretty hard because of laryingitus is basically an infection in your cords and this will cause friction which will cause your cords to dry out. You should inhale steam three times a day at least. I prefer to do it by pouring water from a boiled kettle into a bowl, leaning over the bowl and putting a towel over my head so that no steam can escape but some people find this too suffocating so you can get a mug and cup your hand over it and breathe in, trying to inhale steam as much as you can. The moisture in the steam will work wonders for your throat. Do not whisper, whispering actually makes your cords work harder. Try to talk at a relatively low pitch when you eventually can start to talk as high pitched talking makes your cords stretch out which is hard work for them. Double your fluid intake. If you need to cough, cough lightly. It should sound like a soft h sound. Like a "huh" but very soft and from the throat. Don't drink anything like caffeine or alcohol, try to stay away from smoke. And mostly, just rest it. Honestly, with these tips you could theoretically get it back in a day. I have woken up on a morning with no voice, done all of this and had it back by the end of the day.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
xdismal.angelx Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How do I get my voice back? - April 17th 2010, 04:11 PM

I kinda have my voice back today, but its not completely back yet. I can only use my voice for short answers. otherwise I have write it down.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: How do I get my voice back? - April 18th 2010, 06:53 PM

here is my advice, dont speak at all no matter what write down what you want to say, use writing notes at your way of speaking, dont even whisper whispering is harder on the voice then speaking. drink tea with lots of honey(that helped me when i had pneumonia and lost my voice completly to the point where it was squeaky then i couldnt speak at all) if you dont like tea sty away from fizzy drinks that might make it worse. drink lots of water and fluids, i hope you get better fast! and i hope my advice helps you a little bit

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
Closed Thread