TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Multi-vitamins - April 16th 2010, 10:01 PM

Hi guys, just wondering, what are some of the best multi-vitamin supplements to take? I've tried most of the A-Z ones from boots and they don't go down too well with me as i find them hard to swallow.

In your opinion, would you say that any particular brand has helped you, i.e: have you seen/felt a noticable difference after taking them for an certain period of time?

Many thanks

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 16th 2010, 10:07 PM

Get the gummy ones if you can't swallow. All of them are good. If you are young though, they have a special formula... They have them for girls and boys. I took them because It's good for skin and hair as well.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 16th 2010, 10:13 PM

I have this same sort of question. I suppose I'm not 'unhealthy' but I do get ill every now and then, and I'm always tired. What sort of things should I be taking just to keep me on my feet?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 16th 2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylalatbh. View Post
I have this same sort of question. I suppose I'm not 'unhealthy' but I do get ill every now and then, and I'm always tired. What sort of things should I be taking just to keep me on my feet?
Lots of iron, Vitamin C. I was anemic and and I took iron and multivitamins. I think It helped a little. I actually find drinking only water makes me tired. I need some kind of fluid to help me out. I'm Hypothyroid, and that means I'm really tired allt he time too.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 16th 2010, 10:27 PM

Whatever I have hasn't been diagnosed because I'm too afraid to have a blood test. But it could be a number of things because I'm extremely tired all the time. But I'll look into getting some sort of vitamins. Thanks

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 16th 2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylalatbh. View Post
Whatever I have hasn't been diagnosed because I'm too afraid to have a blood test. But it could be a number of things because I'm extremely tired all the time. But I'll look into getting some sort of vitamins. Thanks
You could be anemic or have Thyroid issues like me. You really really should get a blood test. I don't like needles but I'm actually going to school to draw blood, ha ha. It doesn't hurt that bad. Ask the doctor do use a the thinnest needle possible and they will probably give you one.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 16th 2010, 10:38 PM

I know I need to but I really don't think I'll have to time to get it organised. I'll just have to get some vitamins of some sort to keep me upbeat for the next few months

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 16th 2010, 10:45 PM

Carrots (y)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 16th 2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post

Carrots (y)
no chance!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Elle
Average Joe

Name: Elle

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 17th 2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
Lots of iron, Vitamin C. I was anemic and and I took iron and multivitamins. I think It helped a little. I actually find drinking only water makes me tired. I need some kind of fluid to help me out. I'm Hypothyroid, and that means I'm really tired allt he time too.
The vitamin C thing is a lie according to my friend who studies human biosciences.

To the poster: I took multi vitamins for a year and it did nothing. You shouldn't be taking them as supplements (i.e. instead of getting any vitamins from food) or taking them if you're getting the right amount of vitamins because too much of anything is bad for you.. even too much of the good stuff. It's basically just to top you up if your diet is a little bit lacking i.e. you're deficient in something. Take multi vitamins responsibly, is what I'm saying. If you take too much vitamin D for example you're increasing your risk of hypercalcaemia which is basically where your body retains too much calcium (calcium requires vitamin D in order to be absorbed, if you don't have enough vitamin D in your diet, then not enough calcium will be absorbed and you can develop osteoporosis (sp?) but if too much vitamin D is digested than you will be overretaining calcium). It's all about finding a balance so yeah please don't take vitamins if your diet is already balanced.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 17th 2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don'tstopbelievin View Post
The vitamin C thing is a lie according to my friend who studies human biosciences.

To the poster: I took multi vitamins for a year and it did nothing. You shouldn't be taking them as supplements (i.e. instead of getting any vitamins from food) or taking them if you're getting the right amount of vitamins because too much of anything is bad for you.. even too much of the good stuff. It's basically just to top you up if your diet is a little bit lacking i.e. you're deficient in something. Take multi vitamins responsibly, is what I'm saying. If you take too much vitamin D for example you're increasing your risk of hypercalcaemia which is basically where your body retains too much calcium (calcium requires vitamin D in order to be absorbed, if you don't have enough vitamin D in your diet, then not enough calcium will be absorbed and you can develop osteoporosis (sp?) but if too much vitamin D is digested than you will be overretaining calcium). It's all about finding a balance so yeah please don't take vitamins if your diet is already balanced.

Vitamin C is still wonderful for you.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 17th 2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Vitamin C is still wonderful for you.
LOL, great tactic, abandon the issue and hop to something irrelevant.

Anyways, Vitamin C is wonderful, even if megadoses providing you don't have kidney diseases, beta-thalassemias, G6PD (leads to a form of anemia), unsure of whether it causes kidney stones in functioning kidneys, earlier onset of puberty in females, and other, less severe uncomfortable symptoms such as heartburn, diarreha and stomach ache. In animals, the higher chances of osteoarthritis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin...dverse_effects

In extremes, just about everything gets bad in some way in the body.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 17th 2010, 09:34 AM

hey, taking vitamins is good but one the ones i have it says not a supplement for healthy eating, the ones i have are ones that you swallow but they are small and easy to swallow, most vitamin containers have on them somewhere the size of the vitamin. with me the vitamins i take i found did help me to feel a little better, healthier and sometimes a little more alive. maybe you could talk to the pharamacist or your doctor ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 17th 2010, 02:16 PM

I take zinc tablets I used to get colds all the bloody time >.> I've been taking the zinc tablets for a year and I've only had 2 colds they weren't very bad colds either.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 17th 2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. The reason i'm enquiring is because i've been on/off anemic for years and my blood results always vary - sometimes it says i'm lacking badly, other times not so much and other OTHER times, i'm not lacking at all. I am baffled as i have a very balanced diet, but i'm always tired & ill no matter what my latest blood results seem to say. I took various forms of iron/folate supplements in the past but neither did any good for me. The thing is, i consume a lot of dairy which i've heard counteracts iron absorption. Could this be the reason i'm feeling so tired? I literally yawn 100's of times in a day and my eyes have no 'life' lol.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 17th 2010, 06:17 PM

I take the stuff Holly posted. I'm anemic as well.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 17th 2010, 08:42 PM

I'm currently taking some multivitamins with iron from Lidl (cheap and cheerful!). They're really good because they're small sugarcoated (I think), so they go down well. they're about the same size and shape as skittles so nice and small.
as for the calcium question - I have no idea, but maybe try eating more iron-rich foods as well like spinach, red meats etc

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 18th 2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
LOL, great tactic, abandon the issue and hop to something irrelevant.

Anyways, Vitamin C is wonderful, even if megadoses providing you don't have kidney diseases, beta-thalassemias, G6PD (leads to a form of anemia), unsure of whether it causes kidney stones in functioning kidneys, earlier onset of puberty in females, and other, less severe uncomfortable symptoms such as heartburn, diarreha and stomach ache. In animals, the higher chances of osteoarthritis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin...dverse_effects

In extremes, just about everything gets bad in some way in the body.
I'm just offering my info based on experience. I feel good after I've had a dose, maybe energy, or maybe It's just the fruit making me feel good. You don't have to hate

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Multi-vitamins - April 18th 2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I'm just offering my info based on experience. I feel good after I've had a dose, maybe energy, or maybe It's just the fruit making me feel good. You don't have to hate
I'm not hating, I'm showing what it said in the medical field about vitamin C.

Closed Thread