TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rabid giraffe Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

my lungs are planning my demise, I swear - February 9th 2009, 11:18 PM

kay, I know that there are no health professionals here, but seriously, I don't even know how to get a GP where I am and I worry my parents enough as it is, so I don't want any trips to the doctor where I'm told that there's nothing wrong with me after a rectal exam and a thermometer shoved somewhere nature didn't intend it to ever go. Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. A while ago, I think about two years ago, I got the mother of all colds, or at the time it seemed to be. I don't know if it was a virus or something, my expert friends told me it was the flu, but it was all... respiratory tract, and other symptoms were limited. It started with a sore throat, which I promptly threw strepsils at to no avail. My throat got all swollen, like, visibly, phlegm everywhere and I lost my voice. It was pretty much routine until I got this cough. I was honking everywhere, it was a bad cough by normal standards, and added to the sore throat absolutely agonising. Because it hurt so much to cough, I tried to avoid coughing at all - I'm told you can't suppress a cough, but I'm a girl who thinks you can get pneumonia from wet feet, so what do I know? All I know is it was so painful that when I needed to cough I just cleared my throat, half-coughed, held my breath. It was difficult, but every time I coughed it was so painful that it was the lesser of two evils, you know? Don't ask me how that works, it just happened. Anyway, the throat passed but the cough seemed to move downwards, more chest-area, and - it felt different. I mean, this is all probably more mental, but it felt closer to the lungs and it felt like I was breathing deeper for normal breath than I normally. It got to the point where my chest, not my throat, was making these weird wheezy sounds when I breathed and it felt... again, maybe mentally, kinda sticky and flat? I dunno. I have a slight tendency to describe things abstractly. Either way, I had this moment when I was with my dad when I blacked out, just about fainted and beforehand I was hearing this weird sound when I breathed, not loudly, but still there. It passed, slowly, but since then every time a cough goes round I get it much worse than anyone else, and I take much longer to recover. What someone might shake off in two weeks takes me close to a month to get rid of. And in winter, there are several occasions where I've gone out in cold weather, with or without a cold, mainly with, and had to abandon what I'm doing and head for indoors because I get this really painful burning cold sensation in my chest and find it harder to breathe. I don't know what I had originally, but I thought I had recovered from it.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or any idea what could be causing my problems? I mean, what I had originally and how it lead to this. Any idea about the cause of it? I've met some people who naturally have similar symptoms and was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to help with the painful symptoms such as the cold problem? I wear a scarf and coat and everything, I think it's breathing in the cold air. Is it serious enough to warrant a trip to the insofar nonexistent GP? Anyone suffer from anything similar? Basically, I have a shedload of questions, but that will do for now. I have no history of asthma or breathing problems, used to swim a lot but not excessively, drink but have never smoked nor have ever lived with a smoker, and have never been anywhere more exotic than eastern europe (america when I was four, no asia, no africa, no aus, it makes me sad, but that's not the point =(). Oh, and my parents like to turn me into a pin cushion, so I've had every 'obligatory' (you know, injections you're meant to but don't technically -have- to have, the kind you get in school) injection offered by the NHS, so those kind of diseases are unlikely. Really, I spoke to a med student friend (graduated uni and now doing training) and he said he thought my lungs had been weakened/scarred by an infection and now the scar tissue is causing a problem. How likely is that? I don't think it's psychosomatic, either. I mean, these 'episodes' have no linking factor and I'm just not the type. I know I describe things as mentally 'feeling', but how else can you describe it? You know how seasons have this feeling which is half-mentally felt, half not, like...well, it's perfectly common, it's my artsy-fartsy way of explaining. It's like when you fall on your arse, you can mentally pinpoint the source of your pain as your gluteus maximus not your third rib on the left. It's very much real. Not mental.
So, any idea what might be wrong (I understand you're not professionals, but you might have some idea) and how to make the potentially harmless symptoms hurt less? I know I should get it checked out, much like you should get anything weird your body does checked out, but I don't want to waste my doctors or my own time. So I'm coming here first, you lucky, lucky people =P

Oh, and sorry if my post is incoherent. I'm in an incoherent mood.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Re: my lungs are planning my demise, I swear - February 12th 2009, 08:46 PM

To be honest; i don't want to scare you or anything BUT you NEED to go and get yourself checked-out....even if it's not that serious, it's better to be safe than sorry and then once you know what it is that's causing all this then you can finally put yourself at ease.
I'm assuming you live in the UK(as you say arse and you've mentioned strepsils), i think there are plenty of A&E type places such as mini-hospitals for minor injuries/concerns where they will see you without appointment.

I mean; your friend could be right - but you can't trust just one opinion especially as you haven't been medically checked out. It might be because you tried to surpress your coughs and that can't have been good for you. The fact you blacked out is not a good sign either - this could be linked to anything but if it's accompanied by breathing difficulties then it's something you CANNOT ignore!

Take care of yourself!

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
James_Bond Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: my lungs are planning my demise, I swear - February 13th 2009, 03:55 AM

Uh, I'm sure your parents appreciate you not bothering them with minor stuff, but this has passed over into the realm of needing medical attention. I'm no doc, so I'm not gonna throw possible diagnosises at you, but I will draw you a little diagram of what should happen.

(you) ======================================> (doctor)

Closed Thread