TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maiden Offline
Bring It On
Average Joe

Name: Liadan

Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 3rd 2010, 05:16 AM

I got contact lenses for playing sports, so I only wear them once a week. My optometrist said that's all fine, so I can wear them 14 times. But if I only wear them for two hours each time I wear them, does that mean I can wear them more than 14 times? I'm pretty sure I'm up to about my 20th time wearing this pair and I haven't had any problems.... Why do they say you can only wear them a certain amount of times?

Ever mind the Rule of Three: Three times what thou givest returns to thee: This lesson well, thou must learn: Thee only gets what thou dost earn.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 3rd 2010, 05:25 AM

I recently got contacts myself, so I'm not a contact lens expert or anything. But I'm pretty sure it depends on the kind of contact lens you have. For instance, my optometrist gave me contacts that I could wear all day every day for a month. But depending on the kind of contact lens, the length of time in which they can be worn may be different. I would double check with your eye doctor before you do anything, because you don't want to get an infection or anything like that.
So just to stay on the safe side, I'd ask your optometrist.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#3 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 3rd 2010, 05:52 PM

Agreed with above, if you're not sure then ask, after all they are the experts. But I definitly over-wear my contact lenses and I haven't had many problems, and I've been wearing contacts at least 14 hours a days since I was 12. I have monthly disposables and sometimes forget to change them over for ages, like at the minute I'm supposed to put new ones in on the first of every month, and I haven't yet ... and it's the 3rd today. But I'll stop going on about it now. Just ask the contact lense people

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#4 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rach

Re: Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 3rd 2010, 10:54 PM

Im definatly no expert... and I would advise you stick to the experts advice as every contact is different.

But I've been wearing contacts for years, and my rule of thumb is that as soon as they start getting itchy/dry its time to change them....

Ticklish Tattoo!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 5th 2010, 04:17 PM

Hey there Liadan,

I honestly think that you should check this with your optometrist because you really don't want to risk your eyesight - it's very important that you try to avoid infection at all costs.

Take care.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
wolfsvalentine Offline
Asesino, he dicho.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lindsay

Re: Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 5th 2010, 07:02 PM

I don't wear contacts myself, but don't joke around with it. One of my best friends left hers in for too long and literally ripped off some of her cornea the next time she took them out...

"I packed all your favorite promises
and words that we kept
you weren't hard to find, all it took was thirteen steps"

- alecto.tumblr.com

12.27.08;
así te amo porque no sé amar de otra manera
These empty rooms are still filled with you.
  Send a message via AIM to wolfsvalentine  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 6th 2010, 04:16 AM

Don't take chances. Check with your optometrist.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Re: Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 6th 2010, 09:02 AM

I wear contacts, have been since I was about 12. I have lenses that i wear during the day and take off at night, but keep the same pair for a whole month. I think if you have any queries the best bet is to go check with your optometrist, just to avoid any infection and nasty business you can get with lenses.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lu82 Offline
HI EVERYONE!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 9th 2010, 12:08 AM

I wear those colorblends contacts for fun but I just wear them for a month or less and i clean them everyday.

Guenhwyvar roared a fourth time and darted off through the grove, a black arrow aimed at the heart of doom.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Is it bad to extend the length of time you wear contact lenses? - May 9th 2010, 03:12 AM

It's not really a matter of infection. It's more so the fact that if you wear contacts that are too old, you can scratch your cornea, which can be potentially really damaging. That's why you're not supposed to wear them overnight unless they're the special ones, because if you wear normal ones overnight and take them out, you can actually remove a layer of your cornea.

So I wouldn't wear them much more than the 20 times you've gotten up to, in order to prevent scratching your cornea. If it doesn't do any lasting damage, it's extremely painful for a good amount of time, at the very least.

Closed Thread