TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Shaving using razors - May 3rd 2010, 05:08 PM

So I'm rather embarrassed to say that I'm not far off 20 and I've only just started using razors to shave with ... I asked my mum when I was younger why she wouldn't show me how to use one, and she basically said "They tear up your legs." So I've always used removal cream or electric shavers. But now I'm at uni and I've got my own bathroom, I took the time to try out razors, and I like them, and haven't "torn up" my legs at all.

But I just think it's overall messy with the shaving foam and everything ... so the question I'm asking is can you shave without foam, using just water? It's like I have to clean my bathroom (it's like a wetroom) every time I shave my legs, cos the foam gets everywhere ... and doing that every three or four days isn't fun!

Oh and any advice on shaving legs/underarms/other places would be helpful too

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#2 (permalink)) Old
emoticon Offline
confused.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Michelle

Re: Shaving using razors - May 3rd 2010, 05:11 PM

i use soap. or sometimes ill take a bath and jsut shave under the water. really the shaving cream is just for moisture i think. and i use mens razors cuz it doesnt take as long and they usually work better.

" One day at a time, this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering. "

i wonder when i'll finally jsut start accepting myself, when i'll stop saying i wish i could be like that person.

i have facebook, and myspace. and you can ask for it. :P
  Send a message via Yahoo to emoticon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Shaving using razors - May 3rd 2010, 08:07 PM

Foam does not work well, shave your legs, armpits or whatever area in the bathtub, use a bar of soap any kind of soap and soap up your legs, then shave like that washing out the razor in the water ocassionally as you go. Works fine for me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Saphire Offline
♥♥♥
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Saphire

Re: Shaving using razors - May 3rd 2010, 08:17 PM

in the shower i wouldnt use just water.. what tends to happen with me when i do that is it doesnt even cut the hairs that well, then i get shaving rashes/bumps from it because theres so much friction, and i suppose that the soap or foam is there to prevent this

Saphire

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Shaving using razors - May 4th 2010, 10:29 PM

You can do it with just water, as long as you're not too clumsy about it However if you choose to di it in the shower, I'd wait for a little bit after you get in so the steam and hot water will soften the hair follicles and make it much easier to remove. Personally I agree with you about shaving cream ~ messy and bother, but I use it when I want a nice shave becuse it does make it a bit easier and my legs feel all soft and sheeny afterwards (:

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Shaving using razors - May 4th 2010, 10:46 PM

Warm water works fine, and as suggested, you might find soap helpful as well. I don't think shaving foam is a necessity at all.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Daydreamer Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Shaving using razors - May 5th 2010, 01:54 AM

I personally can't do it with plain hot water, because my skin is kind of sensitive. So what I do is I invested in a nice razor, and I use my body wash in addition to that. Hope this helps

(#8 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Shaving using razors - May 5th 2010, 02:14 AM

Sometimes, in a pinch, I use conditioner for a shaving cream. I just slather some of that on my legs and it works just as well.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Lotus Eater Offline
You are not alone.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Shaving using razors - May 5th 2010, 12:21 PM

I have never tried shaving foam but I presume if you used it in the shower, it'd be easier to clean up and all because you could just let it wash away. I find that water alone doesn't work on my skin because the water dries out quickly so the razor just grazes my (dry) skin and that's not good for you apparently. So I usually just do it in the shower with soap/shower gel. It's quick and easy. And not half as much of a mess

You have me.
Until every last star in the galaxy dies.
You have me.

- Amie Kaufman

NEED TO VENT? CLICK HERE.
Never forget, you are not alone. ♥

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Shaving using razors - May 5th 2010, 04:07 PM

As has already been said, it's not necessary to use shaving foam, but I would recommend using something, otherwise you're at risk of getting razor burn or bumps, which isn't very pleasant and it's easier to hurt yourself that way. Like Cheyenne, if I run out of shaving cream, sometimes I use conditioner as a cream as it prevents any nicks or cuts and keeps moisture.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Shaving using razors - May 9th 2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert View Post
Sometimes, in a pinch, I use conditioner for a shaving cream. I just slather some of that on my legs and it works just as well.
Ive used conditioner before. It just makes it smoother. I often find if i dont use conditioner ot shaving gel then it makes me legs sore and burn and i sometimes got itchy rashess. Maybe im just sensitive though, so ig uess it depends on your skin type too.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Shaving using razors - May 12th 2010, 04:10 AM

It depends on your skin type. If your skin is sensitive, I recommend using shaving gel or conditioner.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Shaving using razors - May 12th 2010, 10:12 PM

I was like this too, My mum never let me shave, I had to either use hair removal cream or wax, and hair removal cream smelt and is messy and wax was expensive and I had to wait until there was a lot of hair until I could get it removed, so I know how frustrating that is lol.
As for the shaving, I often either use shower gel or hair conditioner as it's cheaper and works the same. hope this helps
x

Closed Thread