TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Wisdom Teeth Extraction - May 5th 2010, 04:02 PM

Hey guys

I got all four of my wisdom teeth removed yesterday morning and luckily so far so good. I've been trying to stay on top of my pain meds and stuff so it doesn't really hurt too much at all. My jaw is just pretty stiff and I look like a chipmunk from the swelling but hopefully it won't get too too much worse. (Though I've seen how my cousin's turned out for her..not a pretty sight. She was in a ton of pain). Anyways I was just wondering if you guys got your wisdom teeth out and what kind of stuff you ate after and how things went for you guys?

I've been pretty lucky so far. Living on milkshakes, and drinks like that as well as popsicles and soup. (Though I was pretty hungry yesterday and managed to eat a grilled cheese sandwich as well after about an hour or so and breaking it into really small pieces haha..Won't lie though after being so hungry it tasted AWESOME) But ya...what about you guys? Any suggestions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction - May 5th 2010, 04:12 PM

I haven't had my wosdom teeth extracted, but I'd imagine that any soft foods would be okay to eat, such as mashed potatoes, soups, porridge and bananas. I think in this case, it's best just to use your better judgement with what and what you can't handle - however, it's also important to avoid that are normally small (e.g. rice), hot and spicy foods and to avoid the "sucking" motion which could cause dry socket.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction - May 5th 2010, 04:17 PM

Remember to not use straws! No sucking of any kind, this can lead to dry sockets and believe me it’s not fun.

I had all five of my wisdom teeth removed last year. Yes five, I have extra wisdom. I ate pudding, jello, mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. All things that are soft and require no sucking, but still taste really good. Hope you feel better soon.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction - May 7th 2010, 04:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've been pretty much living on soups and milkshakes and smoothies. Popsicles etc...not that I'm complaining but some real food that I can eat properly would be lovely. It's going pretty well though so I can't complain too much I guess. Any other suggestions?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction - May 7th 2010, 06:46 AM

I couldn't open my mouth to take a bite of anything for a week! Not that my jaw constantly hurt, just when I tried to open my mouth. I don't know if they put in that medication for you, but you'll know because it tastes like an asshole (that's the best metaphor I could come up with); keep using it. I recommend vanilla yogurt since it doesn't have any bits of anything in it (like seeds). Soon the pain will stop and you'll start to eat human food again and the most annoying part will be to get the chunkies out of the holes. Make sure you keep using the mouth-wash or whatever the dentist perscribed.

You'll be fine within a month or so.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FriendZoneMayor Offline
My lovelife is the Hokey-Pokey
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Summer/Shawn

Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction - May 7th 2010, 01:28 PM

Hey there. TiredOfBeing just got her wisdom teeth out about a week ago, so if you have any questions, she'd be a good person to ask.

“I can only hope that they’ll turn that anger and frustration and madness into something positive, so that two, three, four, five hundred will step forward, so the gay doctors will come out, the gay lawyers, the gay judges, gay bankers, gay architects … I hope that every professional gay will say ‘enough’, come forward and tell everybody, wear a sign, let the world know. Maybe that will help.” Harvey Milk, 1978

http://amanoutofyou.tumblr.com

(#7 (permalink)) Old
GhostOfYou Offline
Sorry I can't be perfect
Average Joe

Name: Melissa

Re: Wisdom Teeth Extraction - May 7th 2010, 03:53 PM

Yup, NO STRAWS!! I Tried using straws 3 weeks after getting my wistom teeth out, and I could still feel the socket being pulled It's INCREDIBLY painful.
I got my teeth out, all 4 because they were impacted, I got them out in December. The surgery, so I heard, was incredibly difficult, and I found out that I have a medical condition where my jaw is not properly intact.
For the first 2 days, I had no problems. Bleeding of course, but no pain. I think it was around the 3 or 4 day mark when I started feeling A LOT of pain. I was taking my Vicoden more than perscribed, which was not good at all, I do not recomend it. You run the risk of getting addicted. I was eventually in the ER for pain, and had to be perscribed Vicoden 3 times total throughout the 3 weeks after.

My mistake was that, I didn't eat for days. After those days, I got really hungry, so I started crushing up things like Chiken Pot Pie into a soup-like substance and swallowing it without chewing. WELL, little did I know, the crums got quite messy in my mouth, and most made their way to the empy hole that was where my teeth once were. I had to go back to the dentist, and they gave me a little suringe that I had to use mouth wash and water to wash it out. I had to stick it in the hole, it was gross.
So I don't recomend anything with crums!
  Send a message via AIM to GhostOfYou Send a message via MSN to GhostOfYou Send a message via Yahoo to GhostOfYou  
Closed Thread