TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pink_hammer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ollie

Out of curiosity - May 9th 2010, 04:54 AM

So, lately I've been having a lot of health problems, but my doctor concludes it's not anything huge because I had tests done and whatnot. I think it's mostly anxiety but some stuff I know happens for other reasons.
For example.
I don't know what's happening, but I have some lumps and bumps in one armpit, only one, the other one is perfectly fine. It stopped hurting as soon as I switched anti perspirants (I'm sure I wasn't using a deodorant in the first place). However, the lumps are still there and I have some spots that are there but my mother, who is a nurse, says that it isn't a big deal. I'm only seventeen so it probably isn't. However it really doesn't help that I have anxiety and stuff mostly about my health and I always worry not matter what it is. But since I've been having all these problems I've been wondering what's wrong with me and of course, the worry-wart in me says cancer or something. I know that with any kind of cancer you usually lose a little weight because cancer cells have a fast metabolism and whatnot. But... I figured nothing major can be wrong with me because I actually gained weight, even though I'm already overweight. I was looking stuff up about the weight losing thing and such, and it kind of made me wonder, because people said that when you're sick you lose your appetite. Is that REALLY true or does it vary from person to person?
The reason I really ask is because I can't say I EVER lose my appetite... that's probably why I can't help gaining weight, but anyway... even when I'm sick I still eat regular amounts of food, not because I force myself but because I'm actually hungry when I'm hungry. The only thing I find is that I can't eat certain foods that normally I eat. That's probably a taste thing with the cold that usually happens, but yes. I was just curious as to whether people are actually supposed to lose their appetite when they're sick, because I don't. And if you have any info about my other issue there, feel free to tell me, but I really don't want any more doctor visits for awhile. :/ Three in the last two months plus an emergency room visit.
Anyway, thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Re: Out of curiosity - May 9th 2010, 06:00 PM

No, not everybody loses their appetites when they are sick - unless they are actually 'being sick' in which case eating just doesn't help.

With your armpit problem, do you shave? And if so, do you use soap, or shaving cream? Using soap instead of shaving cream can cause lumps and bumps, as can excessive heat (hot water) and using deoderant after shaving. You could just be sensitive to what ever product you are using.

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
pink_hammer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ollie

Re: Out of curiosity - May 9th 2010, 09:37 PM

I haven't been shaving recently but I did today and I think I cut myself, and that's not good, but it happens... and I use soap because I'm a little too lazy to go searching for cream even thought I have some. >_<
I think it might be that I'm using certain anti-perspirants or just anti-perspirants in the first place instead of deodorants, because when I switch kinds it always stops hurting, even if the bumps are still there. I read somewhere that anti-perspirants can cause reactions and such like this because the lymph glands get clogged and whatnot, and that bumps that form because of this might take longer to disappear than they did to appear. Is that true?
Thanks for the help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
p.weaver22 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Out of curiosity - May 11th 2010, 08:31 PM

|Seriously

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Out of curiosity - May 12th 2010, 10:09 PM

It's true that when you're ill you lose your appetite, when I had the flu I only ate like 10 cream crackers in 3 days or something was proper hungry when I got better though haha. As for the lumps, if they're large, they might be glands like in your neck as they swell up when we're ill too. If they're smaller, they could be ingrown hairs or something else. I think that you're in good care if your mum's a nurse as she'll know if there's anything seriously wrong and if she says it's nothing to worry about, then it most likely isn't
x

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Love09 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Out of curiosity - May 14th 2010, 01:02 AM

wait, ur supposed to use shaving cream? sorry, to butt in on this discussion, but I think I have those bumps too and they don't really go away. Its really annoying to have them, especially when I'm wearing a sleeveless top. can recommend a brand or should I just try something? thanks! sorry for the butt-in! I woudn't be worried, pink_hammer!

Love everyone

(#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Out of curiosity - May 14th 2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love09 View Post
wait, ur supposed to use shaving cream? sorry, to butt in on this discussion, but I think I have those bumps too and they don't really go away. Its really annoying to have them, especially when I'm wearing a sleeveless top. can recommend a brand or should I just try something? thanks! sorry for the butt-in! I woudn't be worried, pink_hammer!
Yes, you should definitely use shaving foam/cream or else you can get razor burns or rashes. Any brand is fine, Gillette is what i use but they all do the same job pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink_hammer View Post
I know that with any kind of cancer you usually lose a little weight because cancer cells have a fast metabolism and whatnot. But... I figured nothing major can be wrong with me because I actually gained weight, even though I'm already overweight. I was looking stuff up about the weight losing thing and such, and it kind of made me wonder, because people said that when you're sick you lose your appetite. Is that REALLY true or does it vary from person to person?
The reason I really ask is because I can't say I EVER lose my appetite... that's probably why I can't help gaining weight, but anyway... even when I'm sick I still eat regular amounts of food, not because I force myself but because I'm actually hungry when I'm hungry.
That's a common misconception, that you always lose your appetite - it's not true. If you're worried about any lumps or bumps it's always worth a trip to your doctor to check it's nothing serious.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Love09 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Out of curiosity - May 15th 2010, 05:52 AM

ok thanks!!! hehe, my mom neglected to tell me this, but then again she is kinda not on top of things to do with health/sex ed for me!!! thanks!

Love everyone

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Steph-O
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stephanie

Re: Out of curiosity - May 15th 2010, 07:28 AM

u can use conditioner to shave with too... if you dont have a lot of money but yes, I wouldn't worry about it.... worrying is way worse for you than anything. Distract yourself with something you like or read a book if you can't stop thinking about it.

Like a diet of the mind, I just choose not to indulge certain appetites; like my appetite for patterns; perhaps my appetite to imagine and to dream. - A Beautiful Mind

I met Steven October 3rd, 2008. We've been practically inseperable ever since. ♥
  Send a message via AIM to darkinnocenteyes Send a message via Skype™ to darkinnocenteyes 
Closed Thread