TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

I may stop taking my medication :| - June 15th 2010, 02:00 PM

I swear the Citalopram is making my paranoia worse. At least when I was depressed it wasn't all the time, this is :/ I just feel like the worst possible thing is going to happen. I feel like if I go to sleep I may not be able to wake up. I think my friends are going to leave me places. I think something terrible is going to happen to my family.

I'm anxious a lot due to this. I feel like being sick.

I have an appointment with a mental health nurse soon so I wanted to bring this up. That's in August >.> Idk if I can deal with this for that long.

I guess the good thing is I know I'm being irrational, so I haven't completely lost the plot. I just can't get the irrational thoughts to stop.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Points: 12,145, Level: 16 Points: 12,145, Level: 16 Points: 12,145, Level: 16

Re: I may stop taking my medication :| - June 15th 2010, 02:51 PM

Hey there.

I strongly advise against just stopping your medication as you can become quite ill. I understand your appointment is far away so I would say make an appointment with your doctor and tell him about how you feel about your medication and how it is making you react. It could be a case of him trying to reduce the dosage to see if that solves the problem. If not he will take you off it slowly. If you can't talk to your doctor perhaps find someone you can talk to like a parent, or perhaps your therapist if you have one. You need to explain how it is making you feel though because its not right for you to be extra paranoid.

Hope this helps.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Power Cosmic Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Janos

Points: 38,476, Level: 28 Points: 38,476, Level: 28 Points: 38,476, Level: 28

Re: I may stop taking my medication :| - June 15th 2010, 03:08 PM

Ah, stopping taking your meds is a bad idea. There's loads of different kinds of antidepressents, maybe a different kind will work. Also, you need to give them time, it'll often get worse before it gets better, I know this from my own experience, plus the experience of a few friends.

As Ellie said, maybe see if you can get an appointment with a doctor sooner, I'm fairly sure you should be able to.

Stay strong Ceilidh. =)

"My one desire is for peace -- peace for everyone"

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nicolette Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Nicolette

Points: 12,657, Level: 16 Points: 12,657, Level: 16 Points: 12,657, Level: 16

Re: I may stop taking my medication :| - June 15th 2010, 04:39 PM

I would talk to your doctor about it, medication isn't supposed to cause you more problems then not... my brother was on antidepressants which made him suicidal, they just weren't working for him so he ended up having to switch up his medication. If its causing extreme paranoia you can eventually start having panic attacks, your stress level can spike and you can end up worse than you already are.

Don't quit them without medical advice but I strongly suggest getting in and getting some advice as soon as possible.

"When it comes down to it I let them think what they want, if they care enough to bother with what I do then I'm already better than them." Marilyn Monroe.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Points: 30,836, Level: 25 Points: 30,836, Level: 25 Points: 30,836, Level: 25

Re: I may stop taking my medication :| - June 15th 2010, 06:48 PM

Don't just stop taking your medication! It will make things ten times worse. Believe me I have been there. I stopped taking me anti-depressants once and got such bad side effects from just stopping them suddenly. My mood just got worse and worse and I ended up in hospital in the end because I was that unwell. So I would strongly advise against just stopping them. Talk to your doctor about it or ring your mental health nurse and try to see them sooner.

Stay strong
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Doodle. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Ceilidh
Pronouns: Any/All

Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49 Points: 122,273, Level: 49

Re: I may stop taking my medication :| - June 15th 2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks everyone <3 I feel more stable now. I was just really anxious earlier and was making stupid decisions I may make an appointment down my GP's tomorrow. I may not tell my parents :/ if they go in with me I won't tell him half of what I need to.

I just realised how stupid it would be to suddenly stop taking them. I've been on them for four months so I'm guessing my head is used to it.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Elliee Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ellie

Points: 12,145, Level: 16 Points: 12,145, Level: 16 Points: 12,145, Level: 16

Re: I may stop taking my medication :| - June 15th 2010, 09:32 PM

I'm glad you've decided to make a GP appointment. I think not going with your parents could be beneficial as well. I know I talk a lot less when my uncle is with me which is why he often asks before he comes and unless its important he sorta let's me do my own thing. Because at the end of the day its also about you taking responsibility. Hopefully it will all work out for the best. Good luck!
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: I may stop taking my medication :| - June 15th 2010, 09:36 PM

Hey there,

I am glad you decided against stopping your meds. I know that that can be really dangerous. I have done it, stupidly, a few times and each time my doctors said "if you wanted to go off you should have said something. This could have been really bad. You could have had a breakdown or something. You are really lucky." So, yes, I would advise talking to your doctor about all of this. I know it might be hard and a part of you might be worried they won't understand or whatever but I am sure they will. Maybe the medicine isn't what is making all of this worse maybe the medicine dosage needs to be upped or maybe you need a different medicine but the only way you are going to figure these things out is if you talk to your doctor and let him/her know what is going on.

Hang in there and remember that if you ever need to chat I and so many others are here for you.

Best of luck,

Jenna
Closed Thread