TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Joe Offline
Joe, The Average Joe
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Joe

Sunken Chest: Does mine look too bad? - February 14th 2009, 12:26 AM

I don't know if I can post pics, but I will. I don't think there's anything wrong since I'm not showing my face and I'm not nude (I'm just shirtless)

Anyway, I guess I have a sunken chest (pectus excavatum). I started worrying just recently when I googled about it because I was curious. Then i started to feel bad and my self-esteem dropped when I read it was a deformity and few people have it. Nobody has ever criticized it and I have been shirtless ALOT of times, and the last time I was shirtless was about 6 months ago with my friends, but they didn't say anything, and they are always picking faults but not that time, perhaps because of pity? I kind of feel like a creep now...

What do you think, is it too bad and disgusting? Mild, Moderate or Severe? If you saw me shirtless would you be creeped out or disgusted?

Please be completely honest, no pity posts or anything, I just want the truth straight like it is.

Also, I'm 14, will it grow even deeper?
I know there's the Nuss Surgery, but I read it was around $30,000, that's way too expensive for my family.
I'm also gonna start working out soon, hopefully it will be less visible/disgusting. I have no breathing problems or heart problems, btw.

Please I need your help. This just made me feel much more of a weirdo than before.

Last edited by Katrina; February 14th 2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Removing links.
  Send a message via AIM to Joe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: Sunken Chest: Does mine look too bad? - February 14th 2009, 12:50 AM

Hey Joe,

I saw the pictures and it doesn't look bad. I wouldn't have known you had a sunken in chest if you hadn't mentioned it. Have you been diagnosed? You are only 14, things are still growing. I think working out would be a great way to help, maybe, either way it can help boost self esteem. Most importantly, learn to love yourself the way you are ok? Try not to think about it so much, you're probably making a mountain out of a mole hill with your friends. I doubt they think about it at all or as much as you are. Try and relax and enjoy yourself. It's silly worrying about things you might not be able to change. I wouldn't trust google 100% either. It has a lot of good information, but it can't diagnose you with anything. Maybe you should talk to them about this. They can give you a straight answer.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Sunken Chest: Does mine look too bad? - February 14th 2009, 12:57 AM

Hey Joe.

I think what I'm going to do here is remove your links [simply because I feel that with the pictures, this could turn into some sort Rate Me thing, which we don't want, and because I'm kind of uncomfortable letting them stay?] but keep this thread open for you to get some feedback of this issue. If anyone disagrees with any of this, please let me know either via PM, or revert to the original post yourself. However, I'm being completely honest here: you look FINE. If I glanced at those pictures without knowing your story, I couldn't even tell the difference. First of all, you look buff as it is, so I don't know why you're worrying about going to the gym as much as you are - just make sure you're getting healthy exercise, but don't overdo it. [: Second, anyone who judges you by THAT is totalllllly not worth your time or effort. Don't stress! If it's not causing you any health problems, you're golden. I highly recommend you don't spend 30 grand when you're perfect just the way you are.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
delilah Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Sunken Chest: Does mine look too bad? - February 14th 2009, 01:00 AM

no way it looks fine, iknow a chick with a sunken chest and it makes no difference, she has plenty of boyfriends and is always told she is hot. really it doesn't matter at all. it's not that noticable i don't think.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Joe Offline
Joe, The Average Joe
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sunken Chest: Does mine look too bad? - February 14th 2009, 01:03 AM

I've not been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure I have it. It certainly doesn't look like a normal chest.
I'm worried it will get deeper and bigger with time, though :/
My parents won't really take me to a doctor unless I'm feeling really bad or I convince them to do it (but that's pretty hard).
I really hope working out makes it kinda less visible...
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Comatose Offline
Human
Average Joe

Name: Amanda

Re: Sunken Chest: Does mine look too bad? - February 14th 2009, 01:04 AM

I don't think its noticeable at all. I wouldn' have seen it if you didn't point it out. Don't worry about it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Joe Offline
Joe, The Average Joe
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Sunken Chest: Does mine look too bad? - February 14th 2009, 01:18 AM

Well, thanks for all of your replies, they made me feel a bit better.

Does anyone in here have it too?
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Sunken Chest: Does mine look too bad? - February 14th 2009, 02:46 AM

The link was removed so I couldn't see it but it's usually not too bad. Part of the course I take in 2nd year university genetics is reading a book about mutations. A sunken chest, compared to some other disorders which are far more bizarre, funny and life-threatening are rarer than a sunken chest. If others don't notice it or bother with it, then live with it and don't blow $30,000.

Closed Thread