TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 14th 2009, 08:52 PM

whenever i have a shower or bath with NO shampoo's,shower gels,bubble bath - just pure water...my legs ALWAYS go red and itchy!! it's so weird, they then get scars afterwards because they itch so much! is this a allergic reaction to water??? it happens all the time, i've tried moisturising, i don't use any chemicals or bubble bath or anythin like that and when i did use them nothing changed. i also get a few spots on my chest but they aren't itchy.
whats going on???
is this a allergic reaction to water or is it sensitive skin? what can i do to stop it??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 14th 2009, 09:07 PM

Huh, how strange. maybe theres just something in your house's water. Does your skin do this even if you just wash your hands in the sink and stuff?

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 14th 2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_crossd View Post
Huh, how strange. maybe theres just something in your house's water. Does your skin do this even if you just wash your hands in the sink and stuff?
nope just on my legs
when i use to wash my face it use to make my spots come out more but thats it. no one in my house suffers with this ...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
star_crossd Offline
Color Me Chaotic
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 14th 2009, 09:20 PM

Hmm, I have no idea then :/
I guess the best thing to do would be to ask your doctor

Yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers
But everything that lives is born to die
And so I say to you that nothing really matters
And all you do is stand and cry.

Music is life. Start living.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
fallen fairy Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Fairy

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 14th 2009, 09:56 PM

bizarrely i have this as well lol. I always find it's MUCH worse just after i've shaved my legs it is acutallyjust a sensitivity thing, my dad gets it as well, if you try and get something like double base to put on you're legs before you shower that should hlep a great deal

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 14th 2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Love-him View Post
whenever i have a shower or bath with NO shampoo's,shower gels,bubble bath - just pure water...my legs ALWAYS go red and itchy!! it's so weird, they then get scars afterwards because they itch so much! is this a allergic reaction to water??? it happens all the time, i've tried moisturising, i don't use any chemicals or bubble bath or anythin like that and when i did use them nothing changed. i also get a few spots on my chest but they aren't itchy.
whats going on???
is this a allergic reaction to water or is it sensitive skin? what can i do to stop it??
Are you using really hot water? Because the same thing happens to me. I think it dries out our skin. other than that I don't know.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 15th 2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen fairy View Post
bizarrely i have this as well lol. I always find it's MUCH worse just after i've shaved my legs it is acutallyjust a sensitivity thing, my dad gets it as well, if you try and get something like double base to put on you're legs before you shower that should hlep a great deal
glad to hear i'm not aalone lol i shall try the double base thing. i don't notice any difference when i shave, it's still as itchy as beforehand
but thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
Are you using really hot water? Because the same thing happens to me. I think it dries out our skin. other than that I don't know.
nope, i've tried all different temperatures, if i cool the water down it still itches like crazy, if i heat it up a bit it also still itches like crazy. it's so anoying and weird.

thanks for all your help guys, i think i'll pop to the docter about it when i can.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 15th 2009, 04:07 PM

Hi, i find i get this when i have a bath, just in the winter months, mine get itchy too, i found that after having a bath they also itched, this is because of my skin gets dry in the winter, what i do is after i have had a bath, i dry myself properly and then i use aqueaous cream (like a non secented mosituriser but it is sorta medicated) you can get it over the counter with out a prescription. it helps to mostion your skin, its worse in the winter months because it is cold and dries out your skin more. trying using some aqueous cream it worked for me.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 16th 2009, 03:30 AM

That's kind of odd that that would happen. Is there a possibility that there's something in the water? Even if it's not a reaction all over your body, sometimes your skin is more sensitive in one area than in another and can feel those differences. I doubt that it's anything major. Talk to your parents and see if they can have your water tested for chemical imbalances. If it's not that, talk to your doctor about it and see if he can do anything to make it a bit more comfortable. Sometimes a medicated wash can help get rid of the itchy.

Hope that helps!
Good luck,
~Emily

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#10 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 17th 2009, 06:55 PM

Something you may want to have done is to have your water tested. Your water could have a higher amount of chlorine or hardness, which can cause skin irritation or other issues. It's not harmful but can be irritating. You may wish to contact your local water department for this.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

(#11 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 17th 2009, 09:04 PM

This happens to me occassionally. Sometimes I wonder if its stuff that whoever was in the bath or shower before me uses and just hasnt rinsed away properly.
However E45 cream usually sorts me out, you could try that.
If it persists, go to the Doctor.
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 17th 2009, 09:40 PM

My first guess is something is in the water. Yes, the water may go all over you but that doesn't mean that your entire body would go red, as some areas can be more sensitive.

Alternatively, we can experiment. Scratch your arm a bit then put it under the same water as you bathe in. I know your legs itch, but let's ignore that for now. If you scratch or if your skin is wet and you scratch, it turns reddish. Keep doing this over and over as you are, and you'll find that your skin on your legs are overly sensitive due to you always scratching at them, and the water makes this more visible. Legs are more sensitive, you scratch, and so the cycle continues.

Try taking a shower, don't scratch the legs for a few days, maybe a week (assuming you shower daily) and see if that alone gets rid of the reddness. The more you scratch, the less the skin can heal, making it more sensitive. If you're really lucky, you may also have something in the water.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
xxxskittlesxxx Offline
helloooo :D
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Sophie

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 22nd 2009, 08:08 PM

i get this aswell and so does my dad. i get it all over the place , my back my tummy my neck my leggs my arms but mine comes up as lots of little spots like a rash and i scrat at them for ages!
i don't know where you live but here in the UK you can buy some special treatment to put in your bath wich stops you getting a rash. i cant remember what it is called but its pink and it comes in a square bottle.
i too myself would like to know how to get rid of the problem as it is really annoying.

You don't know about my past, and
I don't have a future figured out.
And maybe this is going too fast.
And maybe it's not meant to last,

I AM A BANANA

imi , sophie , me

(#14 (permalink)) Old
helped Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 26th 2009, 07:38 AM

i think you are suffering from allergy. you must go your homeopathic doctor. you can take some medicines or anti allergic cream.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jennie

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 27th 2009, 05:17 AM

Yeah, if you are using really hot water then some how it affects your skin. My legs do that too. It's almost like my skin tightens. And it only does it when I use really hot water, or if my legs don't bend for a while. If it happens again, try bending your legs a few times and not scratching. If you stretch it out a bit it won't itch or hurt so bad. And then you can put a lotion on them. But ultimately, try showering with cooler water than you are using currently. =]

-Jennie-

~*Dance, dance, dance, just dance*~

(#16 (permalink)) Old
I-Love-him Offline
I've been here a while

Re: my legs itch when water touches them :-S - February 27th 2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3 Awakening <3 View Post
Yeah, if you are using really hot water then some how it affects your skin. My legs do that too. It's almost like my skin tightens. And it only does it when I use really hot water, or if my legs don't bend for a while. If it happens again, try bending your legs a few times and not scratching. If you stretch it out a bit it won't itch or hurt so bad. And then you can put a lotion on them. But ultimately, try showering with cooler water than you are using currently. =]
na i don't think it's that because i lower the temperature of the shower when it starts to itch but it still stays itchy
thanks anyway

Closed Thread