TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Lisa

Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 11:43 AM

To cut a long story short - the skin on my face is ruined - and when i say ruined i mean by all the nasty over-the-counter spot creams and scrubs. I was a little naive to say the least when it came to acne and just used anything and everything that was relatively cheap and now my skin is red raw and sensitive and has breakouts everywhere and is VERY hideously oily but in a dry way because i dried it of it's natural oils.
At the moment i only use face wipes as a cleanser from simple and i splash my face with warm & cold water. I use a oil balancing moisturiser too. My face doesn't seem to be improving. Will the redness ever reduce, or is it sensitive forever now?!

thanks muchly.

& it's just like she's in another world.
[<3]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 12:13 PM

Hmmm....I'm not really an expert on this at all, but I have a feeling the face wipes may be aggravating your face a little, even if they're Simple. I know that face wipes can be pretty strong and I've heard warnings against them...I wouldn't quote me on that though, to be honest.
Have you thought about visiting a doctor or dermatologist? They might have some good advice or could offer you a particular product that might help.
And it's a good idea to keep an eye on your diet as well; remember to drink plenty of water and have loads of fruit and vegetables (especially avacados, they're magical (: )
Take care.
xxx

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 03:35 PM

Any form of topical acne creams or washes/scrubs whether they are over the counter or prescription have the potential to burn your skin which is essentially what seems to have happened. This is often a sign of misuse or the product being too strong. It will go back to normal but it will take time, it happened to me when i was going through all my prescription options; most of the creams literally burned my skin to the point that it was really raw and sore. So, it will more than likely go back to normal in time, but you will probably experience increased sensitivity so any new products you buy should be for sensitive skin just in case.
Face wipes usually aren't a good choice for daily cleansing, so I would suggest maybe stopping them for a few days to see how your face feels? Try and avoid over-the-counter products from now on and maybe consider talking to your doctor, there are millions of prescription options to treat this, and they will also be able to give you advice on what cleansers and moisturizers are best for your skin to avoid further problems. If you can't get to a doctor right away the esthetician at your local drug store should have some advice for you as well!

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#4 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 04:16 PM

Thanks for your help guys
My doctor is complete bitch tbh, she says my it's normal and there's nothing i can do about my skin and is always reluctant to prescribe anything, hence the reason i've been buying over-the-counter crap.
My mum's going to force her to refer me to a dermatologist otherwise she'll report her! haha.

Any suggestions for cleansing my face in the meantime? I've got baby wipes from Johnsons, or is that too harsh as well? =/

[<3]

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 05:24 PM

Go to a different doctor?

What I do for washing my face is water and soap, then put non-greasy lotion on afterwards. I don't think you really need anything special, but you do need to make sure your face is moisturized afterward. But I've also never had problems with acne so I'm not an expert on what works and what doesn't. You could probably also find some moisturizing body wash.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 05:31 PM

For now i'd stick to some good old unscented soap and water to wash your face, and your regular moisturizer should be fine for now.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 05:33 PM

It's possible that you're using too many products at the same time. Use them all from a same line of skin care.

First I use Apricot scrub from St. Ives to get the dead skin off my face and exfoliate. Then I use Clearasil Deep cleansing for sensitive skin. For this I leave it on my face as a mask almost. And if I feel like I should, I use a sensitive skin astringent to dry pimpls. But If I'm not wearing makeup I don't do this.

I highly recommend this regime.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey View Post
For now i'd stick to some good old unscented soap and water to wash your face, and your regular moisturizer should be fine for now.
It's possible unscented soap will work. Dr. Bronners soap is great, you use it for all kinds of things, even brushing your teeth. I used it on my lip ring, that's how clean it is.

Don't use any other soaps, that for sure, will mess up your skin big time.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
glittermist Offline
Modal Soul
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 08:56 PM

Actually, soap is probably the reason why my skin is effed up so badly! I used it quite a bit to clean my skin when i first developed breakouts. It was after i ruined my skin that people decided to tell me SOAP is not good as it's too drying. Everyone tells me something completely different i'm just confused as hell.

"Go to a different doctor?"

There aren't many in my area and it would take forever to be put on another waiting list.

[<3]

(#10 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Skin care regime? - February 16th 2009, 09:50 PM

Dr. Bonner's a a good mild soap, as well as Johnson and Johnson baby soap. I use both, but I prefer using the Johnson and Johnson soap on my face, I wash my face with cold water and baby soap (strips less of the natural oils, I think with cold) and then follow up with Johnson and Johnson baby lotion. The stuff is cheap, cheap, cheap and very gentle.

I use it as a cheap replacement for Clinique skin care, which is also mild and kind, but rather pricey.

Above all, I would go to a dermatologist. I think you need to visit one and see what they say, because your doctor doesn't seem to be helping you out and it never hurts to get a second opinion.

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Casey

Re: Skin care regime? - February 28th 2009, 10:22 PM

Have you ever thought about what you eat... Like try eating more Fresher foods and pay attion when u get a breakout cus some foods your body may act differn't lly too.... Drinking Water helps me out..... The reason your doture says its normal is probly cus of all the hormone changes going on in your body......Goodluck meow ..

Closed Thread