TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
James Bluntus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Medical question. - August 31st 2010, 01:16 PM

Now I know you not many on here are medical experts.

I have had 29 operations in my 16 years. The 2 most recent surgeries was to place a hole at the base of my brain (Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy). I'm no stranger to surgery. I was born with fluid on the brain (Hydrocephalus) and that was what that surgery was for. I previously had a 2 shunts. The shunts weren't working so they did the ETV. (If you watch 10 news in Feb of 2009 when Tim Bailey was at Westmead kids you would have seen me.) The other recent surgery was to remove the shunts that weren't working because I had a brain infection (very close to Meningitis). Anyway, the ETV has worked from February until now but, I have to go and have a scan to see if the hole has closed up and if I have to have another shunt placed in. The reason for this is the doctor couldn't see behind the eye.

I am also getting the symptoms of Headache, eye blurriness (not too much that I couldn't get my L's), irritability and difficulty taking instructions in.

Do any of you know if any kind of surgery could be put off until after Christmas because of my School Certificate (don't particularly want to go through year 10 again) or how long it will take for me to be back at school if I do have surgery.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Medical question. - August 31st 2010, 01:24 PM

Hey,

Since, obviously, you know we are not medical professionals. The only thing I can really suggest is talking to your doctor and asking them these questions. Different surgeries require different amounts of time needed for the healing process. It also might not be able to be postponed depending on how high risk waiting would be. But I don't honestly know, again, you need to speak with your doctor about your concerns.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more, but I hope your doctor can help some.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

(#3 (permalink)) Old
James Bluntus Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Medical question. - August 31st 2010, 01:28 PM

Thanks.

Don't know the results of the scan. So I can't really say if I am defiantly going to have it or not.

Closed Thread