TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Barbara

Question Emotional Pain...In My Hands??? - September 5th 2010, 05:59 AM

Something very painful happened to me a few years ago. Now, whenever I think about the incident(which I do everyday), I feel the hurt in my hands, instead of my heart. Does anyone know what this could be?

The unloved one...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: Emotional Pain...In My Hands??? - September 5th 2010, 01:24 PM

Hi Barbara,

I think that emotional pain can manifest itself in our bodies in a variety of different ways. A "broken heart" or a hurting heart is just one of those that we hear about more often, but is actually generally just a metaphor for generalized emotional pain (which many people have described as being able to feel all over their bodies, not just in the chest area where the heart is). Of course, people often do feel chest pain as a result of having their feelings hurt, but that's just one way that emotional pain can affect our bodies.

To quote "Quantum-Self" (which, given is not the most intellectual source, but does cite studies done by fairly reliable universities):

Quote:
How do emotions trigger physical sensations? A 2009 study conducted at the University of Arizona and the University of Maryland found that activity in a brain region that regulates emotional reactions (the anterior cingulate cortex) helps explain how an emotional insult can trigger a biological cascade.
Maybe this could be something like what you're experiencing. One question I do have for you, though, Barbara, is do you talk about this painful incident? Keeping something inside like that is almost like having a huge weight inside of you. If you talk about it, you release some of the weight from inside -- and maybe that could help you with the physical pain you've been feeling in your hands. Of course, if you'd ever like to talk, you know where to find us.

I hope things work out for you.

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Shattered_Girl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Barbara

Re: Emotional Pain...In My Hands??? - September 7th 2010, 03:59 AM

Your post was very helpful thank you
I wrote about it on here once, but only one person responded. I have talked about it before, but it still haunts me.

The unloved one...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Laura

Re: Emotional Pain...In My Hands??? - September 14th 2010, 02:34 AM

I agree that talking about it may help. And I think that feeling pain by emotional causes is possible, b/c I get pains where I used to cut even when I haven't.

We're here if you feel like you need to talk about it. But if you don't, that's totally fine too.

Closed Thread