TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 12:36 AM

Hey guys. So...I am absolutely terrified of needles. I want to get caught up on my shots. I want to, and I know that I'm going to have to eventually. But at the same time, I'm scared all to...all to hell, to be honest. I had a friend that was going to go with me to support me and hold my hand and reassure me and everything but he has a very busy schedule so it's looking like he can't do this anymore. It's like I'm fighting with myself. I know that I could do it, but I also have this voice, this powerful voice that tells me there is no way that I can possibly do this, especially by myself. My friend tells me that I can do it and that it'll all be okay and stuff, and he's just telling me to face it and just go do it and get it over with. And I WANT to, but the emotional side of me won't let me, I'm too afraid. I hesitate to even walk in the DOOR. If you can get me in the room, things are going really well. If you can get me to STAY in there, then you have some sort of crazy magical charm. I feel like they'd have to trick me and lock me in a room and strap me down, and I don't want that (besides, my doctor refuses to do that to one of his patients unless they are in extreme life threatening danger if they don't go through with some procedure).

I want to go through with it and get it over with, but then again I don't. I know I can do this alone, but then again I don't. It's a battle inside of me...and I don't feel like my logical side can win over the emotional side.

I'm so afraid and I don't know what to do, somebody please help me!

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#2 (permalink)) Old
luvflamingos Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 04:46 PM

Chris, I used to be so afraid of needles too. I know how you feel. Now nurses stick me so much they have to get creative. You can do it Chris. I understand your fears. Try to take your mind to a different place. A happy place. Somewhere you feel loved and comfortable. You're not alone. A lot of people do not like needles. I am sorry your friend could not be with you during your visit, but you can do it. It is for your health!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 04:58 PM

I wish I was as certain as you are about that.

Like seriously, I...I tell myself that all the time, everything that you said. And it never works.

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 05:11 PM

OH OH OH! I totally feel your pain. Let me give you some tips I used to get myself to a place where I only freak out for a short while right before I faint (which is like super great for me xD )

1. Bring your ipod with a playlist pre-set that you love.
2. Ask your doctor for numbing cream (you apply it 45 minutes before- even if it's not the pain that drives you crazy, the numbing thing can help you mentally prepare)
3. Lay down with you feet elevated and your head turned away.
4. Have your mom bake brownies/cookies for you so during the process you have something to look forward to
5. Don't spend the whole day thinking about it! Have a great day with friends and then go to the doctors. Give yourself the night off, or have a friend come over to chill with you. Having things to look forward to always helps.
6. Have your mom hold your arm down
7. Scream into a pillow

Hopefully this helped a little

(#5 (permalink)) Old
luvflamingos Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 05:12 PM

For me Chris, I no longer have a choice about needles. It's just something right now I have to live with. You have a choice about your health. Proactive or Reactive. I understand your fear. I really do, but, Chris, take care of you. You can do it!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 05:27 PM

I've used those numbing creams before and they hardly do ANYTHING.

I can't do it! I just can't do it...

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 05:51 PM

I totally understand where you are coming from.. I get so scared about needles and injections that I'm suprised I don't pass out before I get the jab.

It totally sucks right!?
Two years ago i had to have HPV vaccine and I actually cried every time I had it because I got so worked up.
It doesn't always turn out as bad as you expect.
It's normally all the fears you have before which makes it all so scary.

I look away when they do it, and don't look at the needle before hand. It freaks me out otherwise.
Count to ten as you recieve the jab.. you'll find you don't even reach ten, keep your arm as relaxed as possible and squeeze the hell out of something with the other arm.

I found sqeezing the chair or someones hand took my mind off of the actual jab.

deep breaths help too.

I suppose it is just the thought of needles makes me feel sick. I've had bad experiences and it put me off.

But I really hope you can get through it

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Guy View Post
I've used those numbing creams before and they hardly do ANYTHING.

I can't do it! I just can't do it...

the thing with injections is it's not the actual piercing of the skin which is the uncomfortable part its the stinging whilst the stuff is going in and spreading out. and as the numbing cream only really sits on top of the skin it doesn't stop the pain completely.

take your ipod and listen to that whilst you're having the injection(s). also, don't look. even from the start.. don't look at all. that way you won't even see the needle. make sure you tell your nurse/doctor/whoever is doing it that you don't want to see the needle because you are nervous. that way they can keep it out of sight until you're looking the other way. this helps calm me down because actually seeing it freaks me out a bit.

also i prefer if they don't say when they're going to do it. although that's not everyones preference, i know. just listen to your ipod, focus on the song you're listening to and it'll be over before you know it.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 07:53 PM

Idk. I feel like in part my fear is due to a feeling that I have no control. That pinch could come in a couple seconds or in a minute and a half. I have no way to know, no warning of it at all.

On the other hand, I think knowing could actually make it WORSE too.

So the truth is, I don't even know WHAT my preference is.

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 09:24 PM

one technique my doctor uses alot, is saying after three, and then they do it on two... That helped me alot. Took me by suprise
Also asking them to do the more painful jab first helps alot, if you're recieving more than one jab. It relaxes you for the second

(#11 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - September 30th 2010, 09:42 PM

also.. ask if they can do it as quickly as possible. sometimes nurses/doctors seem to go slower if they know the person is nervous which is completely stupid in my opinion. i'd rather have it over with quicker!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 3rd 2010, 07:10 PM

Doesn't doing it quickly make it sting more though because the medication is more likely to rupture a lot of cells?

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

October 4th 2010, 03:29 AM

Streptozotocin. It's used in rats to destroy pancreatic islet cells and induce type 1 diabetes. Thus, you'll have to inject yourself with needles 4-6 times a day and you'll become desensitized to it. Of course, you'll also have diabeetus for life.

Ironically enough, I'm still scared of needles.

Somewhat more seriously, injecting yourself with a needle is much less freaky than someone else doing it. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll let you do that, and they'd probably send you to a heroin rehab clinic if you asked.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

Last edited by arepo; October 4th 2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Merging posts.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 4th 2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Idk. I feel like in part my fear is due to a feeling that I have no control. That pinch could come in a couple seconds or in a minute and a half. I have no way to know, no warning of it at all.

On the other hand, I think knowing could actually make it WORSE too.

So the truth is, I don't even know WHAT my preference is.
Most of the nurses I've had tell you when they're about to do it. You can ask them to if it would make you feel better. I assume you don't watch. I've never been afraid of needles so I'm probably not much help. You could probably tell the nurse that you're terrified of needles as I'm sure that he/she gets lots of people who are and probably knows things that will help.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 4th 2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Doesn't doing it quickly make it sting more though because the medication is more likely to rupture a lot of cells?
rupturing cells? idk about that but no i think it hurts the same amount but for less time.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 4th 2010, 10:39 PM

Take a friend with you so he can help you relax and make you laugh. Laughing is good because when you laugh your body releases/produces endorphin, the feel-good hormone, and they helps you relax.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 5th 2010, 03:46 AM

I had a friend that was gonna go with me, but he's too busy apparently.

Honestly I was looking forward to just having him come in with me and at least getting one or two of them over with. I was hoping that he could reassure me, WHILE I was there...to re-emphasize the factI that I CAN do it. But that's not possible now...

I want to do it, but I don't know if I can, especially without a friend or someone that I really trust there with me.

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#18 (permalink)) Old
jaimelu Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 6th 2010, 02:42 PM

Haha, Chris, I'm STILL terrified of needles (no, people, that is not a cue to pounce your advice on ME lol) but it's not that bad. sometimes my doctor will ice my arm before givign me the shot so it dulls the pian, or you could ask your doctor to give you a little nitrous oxide (laughign gas) before you get your shot~ you wotn feel a thing. or distract yourself with food, handhelds, music players, books, or friends. or the best thing now, they've now got ways for you to get your shots medications WITHOUT THE NEEDLE

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Mellifluous Offline
Moo with me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna, call me Rue

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 14th 2010, 02:32 AM

My doctor puts me under anesthesia, because otherwise I pass out at the sight of the needle. Like, just enough to make me sleep long enough for him to give me the shot(s). So...yeah.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 14th 2010, 02:40 AM

The problem is the only anesthesia they could give me would probably be a needle...which doesn't help.

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 16th 2010, 03:42 AM

I don't know if this will help, but I have a bit of a fear of needles and shots, and chewing gum or biting down hard on something chewy sometimes help me.
Also, I always look at the needle so that I know when it is going in.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 16th 2010, 04:04 AM

As a phlebotomist (the people who stick you with needles) I recommend this. Just know It's a slight pinch and you're done. If you relax more it will not hurt as much. Something you can do that helps is to ask the medical professional to talk to you. If you are distracted you won't feel as pressured. And DON'T look at the needle. If you are nervous, the person who pokes you will be nervous that you'll jump or something, which can be bad.

I used to be afraid of needles too but I got over it fast. The only part that stings during the whole process if it going though the skin. That's it. Even when you redirect the needle you it shouldn't hurt. Just relax, breath and have them talk to you, or you ask them questions during the whole process. Then it's over.

I hope some of this helped.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 17th 2010, 05:16 PM

I know how fast it's over, but for whatever reason my anticipation of that makes me freak out...bad.

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 17th 2010, 05:20 PM

Just have the person talk to you during the anticipation. You're going to have to get it done in your life several times. I hope you'll overcome this, good luck.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Ocean*girl2 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Eve

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 17th 2010, 05:53 PM

I hate needles too. I'm not exactly terrified but I don't like them at all. A few suggestions:
Try meditation while you're waiting and while it's actually happening.
Relax your muscles as much as possible.
I heard you could numb the area with an ice cube, you could ask your Dr. about that.

Best of luck!

Hello, world

"And if you take my hand, my son, all will be well when the day is done."

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 18th 2010, 05:31 AM

Hey there!

Hopefully this is in time to help you.

Some people treat their phobias by gradually desensitising themselves. So some different ways to do this might be by buying a syringe from the chemist, not to use but just to look at, feel and think about. Once that becomes comfortable you might want to book some kind of pre needle session. If this is possible and doesn't cost much or if you can get it for free, maybe make a session prior to your needle session, and the idea is you just go in, talk to the doc about what will happen, sit where it will take place, run through it all without actually doing it and then when you come back the next time you are supposed to be better prepared. You could also pretend practice with someone I suppose.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 18th 2010, 11:27 PM

I try watching Youtube videos and stuff to try to desensitize myself. Sometimes it works but sometimes the screaming and crying kids just makes it a lot worse...

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 20th 2010, 06:33 AM

Well I wouldn't recommend you tube because you tube is unpredictable. The idea with desensitisation is to take small controlled steps. That way you feel calm, comfortable and in control. You slowly push your comfort zone, because taking big steps can create a negative association in your mind.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 27th 2010, 01:44 PM

Idk...it seems like every idea either gets rejected by my mind or just doesn't work. Why bother? I'll never get past this

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#30 (permalink)) Old
BanksyRat Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 27th 2010, 01:55 PM

Tell the person giving the injection your fear. Chances are they'll have many patients feeling the same and will be sympathetic. I hate jabs, but what helps is asking the nurse to tell you when she's going to make that little scratch, then take a deep breath and slowly release it.

You will get past this, but what really can help is try not to get yourself into anxiety state before the appointment. Read a book or a mag. Chew a sweet, gum, anything to take your mind off it. It's only a little scratch after all.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 28th 2010, 12:56 AM

As dumb as it is, a "little scratch" from a needle completely terrifies about 10% of the population...including myself. I get what you're saying, and I even know it's true...but my emotional side rejects it all. I don't know how to make it shut up and listen to my LOGICAL side...

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

(#32 (permalink)) Old
BanksyRat Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 28th 2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
As dumb as it is, a "little scratch" from a needle completely terrifies about 10% of the population...including myself. I get what you're saying, and I even know it's true...but my emotional side rejects it all. I don't know how to make it shut up and listen to my LOGICAL side...
Well, who IS logical?? Cause I sure aren't and the scrapes and silly things I get into, maybe I should take my own advice sometimes.

I was wondering.. if perhaps you could ask your doctor to refer you to a therapist for a short course on cognitive therapy?

Maybe with some gentle counselling, you can overcome this emotional side-swipe that keeps cropping up? And yes, I well understand how terrified you must feel. As for me, I can't stand spiders....

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 28th 2010, 01:58 PM

As it's been said, CBT could be really beneficial to you. Have you approached your doctor about getting any form of therapy at all? Hopefully with this problem it should only be a few sessions!

(#34 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Absolutely terrified of needles - I want to get over it. - October 29th 2010, 02:11 AM

Can I get it for free? I'm insured...

Chris
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

last updated on 11/11/17

Closed Thread