TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Question Allergic to water? Is it possible? - October 1st 2010, 02:28 AM

I am allergic to salt and chlorine water, that has been proven to my family and I many times over. Lately I've been getting really itchy after I take a shower, and where I sit under the water longer, gets covered in hives. I've tried different types of soaps, shampoos, and conditioners, and when I use any combination, I always end up breaking out. I change the towels I use once a week, most of the time even more often then that. I've tried to just stand under the water before without washing my body, and I get the same results. I have extremely fair and extremely sensitive skin.
I've taken showers at my aunt's house and the same thing has happened, she lives in another state. Is it possible to be allergic to water, or is it just me?

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Allergic to water? Is it possible? - October 1st 2010, 03:47 AM

I know you can be allergic to sweat (even your own) so I suppose an allergy to water is possible. Does anything happen when you drink it?
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jae Offline
Cold Hands, Warm Heart
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Janine

Re: Allergic to water? Is it possible? - October 1st 2010, 04:09 AM

I don't think it's possible to be allergic to water, seeing as our bodies are 70% water or something. But it could be that you're allergic to "hard water", or rather the elements and minerals dissolved in the water. Where I'm from, we put fluorine in our water and whatnot, and I'm assuming since you're allergic to salt and chlorine water, you're also probably allergic to other things dissolved in the water.
That's just my guess, though.

"He kissed her, he kissed her, he kissed her.
Little, by little, by little."

- Gregory Maguire

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Allergic to water? Is it possible? - October 1st 2010, 07:03 AM

As Janine said, its more likely whats IN the water, rather than actually being allergic to water. We definitely are like, 70% water... Everything you drink, and a lot of what you eat, has water in it. SO if you were actually allergic to water, you'd always be hiving and sick, ALL the time.

Perhaps try taking filtered water and soaking your arm in it, perhaps the bottled water, or water from a water cooler?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Allergic to water? Is it possible? - October 1st 2010, 10:00 AM

I get this too!! My skin never used to be sensitive but it sort of has been in the last couple of years, it's weird And I discovered after showers I would often break out in little hives that would last up to half an hour. Annoying. I googled it a while ago and I think actually a fair few people can get this. I actually can't remember if it's anything to do with water quality or if there's anything you can actually do, so this may be a bit of a useless post, I'm sorry But you could try to avoid really hot showers as the water might affect your skin a bit more then?? Or you could turn down the shower to as cold as you can stand for about ten seconds before you get out, it might refresh your skin a little. You could maybe put some cream on your skin after you gt out and avoid moisturisers or lotions until the hives have settled a little. Either way try not to scratch them because THAT will really irritate your skin and then using shower gels and stuff will end up making it all worse.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Allergic to water? Is it possible? - October 1st 2010, 11:28 AM

Hey there,

It is possible to be allergic to water. There's a good article here for those of you who don't know about it! However, it does sound like what you're experiencing is more likely to be caused by the heat of the shower, or something in the water. I would strongly recommend seeing your doctor and asking him!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Allergic to water? Is it possible? - October 3rd 2010, 09:18 PM

Yus, it is possible to be allergic to water and basically all you can do to help is avoid long showers and going out in the rain. I believe your doctor can give you creams and other treatments that can help. The best thing you could do would be to visit your GP

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: Allergic to water? Is it possible? - October 5th 2010, 07:30 PM

I believe what you're asking about is "Aquagenic urticaria". I was diagnosed with it when I was around 13 years old because I get allergic reactions whenever my skin has contact with water (This includes sweat, making gym class a pain).

I don't remember what they're called, but my dermatologist prescribed me some kind of pills I took before I showered, swam, etc. They helped a lot. I suggest you talk to your dermatologist about this if it persists (:

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
smiley face Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Allergic to water? Is it possible? - October 7th 2010, 10:13 AM

It is possible because I saw this interview on t.v about this girl she's allergic to water when she's in the shower her skin goes red

Closed Thread