TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
puala__koala Offline
Average Joe

October 3rd 2010, 03:43 AM

okay, so since i was 9 ive been nearsighted. at first it was okay but now its gotten to the point where i cant see anything without my glasses. if i do not have my glasses, i might as well be blind.
but i do have my glasses, so its not that bad of a problem. one of my biggest problems is that i have double vision (so i see everything double). ive had this since i was 14, so im pretty used to it. i can read and do everything i need to do with it.
still, i do have a lot of problems that may be caused or related to this. basically, i see a lot of things like theyre moving when theyre not, like theyre slightly crooked; when i acutally manage to foucus on something (so no double vision), i cant see anything else and it makes my eyes hurt; i see halos around things (i dont really have a problem with it though but it says on a health website that its bad. this has been going on since i was like 9); when i look at a light, i see like a screen of white (which i cant see past anymore) on the spot where i saw the light for like a minute and then the screen turns red and everything starts flashing and gets wavy till its fades away (this is new and its bad because when it happens its really hard for me to walk); i have been diagnosed with floaters (theyre not much of a problem though).

also, im not sure if these things are related but i have hypothyroiditis, acid reflux, migraines (w/ aura), and ive been noticing that in like the past year ive had a lot of trouble talking (like i mix up words, forget how to pronounce them, or just forget what im saying mid scentence)

what could this be?

i went to an ophthalmologist when i was like 15 and this is something which is just beginning to be problematic again. should i go back?

btw, just so you guys can chill, its really not as bad as it sounds. ive pretty much gotten used to it its just that the new symptoms are kinda weird and i dont like how this is getting progressively worse. oh, and i forgot to mention that i have no depth perception

and (cause this may have something to do with it) i use my eyes a lot. i want to be an artist and im constantly drawing (usually from observation which is even harder on your eyes). this is acutally the main reason why im worried about my eyes (i could probably live blind perfectly fine if i didnt wanna go into art). i need them to make stuff! especially since i wanna go to art school for sculpture. ill need to work with wood and metal. i need to see to work with those so i wont burn myself or chop a finger off...

one last thing: do you think its ok for me to learn how to drive? i passed the eye exam and everything for my permit (i lied and said no on all of the symptoms). i mean if they didnt notice then i should be okay to drive right? i mean i am used to all of this

Last edited by arepo; October 3rd 2010 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Merging posts.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
jaimelu Offline
Not a n00b

Re: eye problems - October 6th 2010, 02:38 PM

1. *giggle. honey, we ALL use our eyes a lot. if we didnt televison would cease to exist.

2. go back to the doctor and say "figure out what the HELL is wrong with me and FIX IT!"

good luck.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: eye problems - October 6th 2010, 04:30 PM

I have a lot of vision problems too and I completely understand what this is like. Go back to your opthemologist and if you don't like what they say get a second opinion or even more than that. Because of your other symptoms, migranes etc. it might be a good idea to go to a neurologist, since it sounds like there might be something other than your eyes. I DO NOT reccommend that you drive with these symptoms, if you have to lie to pass the test then technically you didn't pass and lying about things doesn't change what you're dealing with. I understand wanting to drive, but it could be really dangerous.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: eye problems - October 6th 2010, 05:10 PM

Hey there,

I would strongly recommend you see your doctor or another medical professional immediately. It is worrying that you're having migraines and confusion as well, and they may want to run a few tests. Obviously we cannot give a diagnosis online! The best thing you can do now is get yourself to a doctor. (:

Let us know how it goes!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Darcy Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: eye problems - October 7th 2010, 11:16 AM

I suggest you to consult an experienced eye surgeon. I faced the same problem two years ago. I consult an eye doctor and given with spectacles. But thereafter my vision was worse. Then I immediately consult an eye surgeon and found that I was having migraine.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: eye problems - October 8th 2010, 08:29 AM

Since you lied on the test to get your permit, that's something which could get you into some pretty nasty legal trouble as you swore (i.e. signed) that what you wrote/said was truthful. In law, violating things like that can land you in jail but for this, I don't know if you'd just get the license suspended if you admitted it to the ministry of transportation for your area. It'd be a problem if you get into an accident and you mention these eye problems which you had before you got the license. Having problems in depth perception is something you should mention to the doctor if it's new and getting worse, and you should consider not driving with that.

Some of the symptoms you listed, I have also, such as the double vision, seeing a halo around people's bodies sometimes (i.e. especially if they're in front of a blackboard), near-sightedness and a colour blindness (deuteranopia I think). They can be corrected by glasses. However, what is rather alarming is the degeneration in speech. It can be you're just nervous and stutter but if it's mispronouncing words you previously pronounced correctly, see if others agree with this. If so, I can think of a few diagnoses but I may be wrong on them. See your family doctor and mention this speech degeneration and all aspects concerning it but it can be a neurological or sensorimotor dysfunction. If it's not getting worse according to others, then why do you believe it is? Forgetting midsentence may be normal depending how often.

The eyesight problems were corrected by glasses so they're irrelevant UNLESS it's rapidly getting worse.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread