TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Healthy eating - November 2nd 2010, 04:02 PM

I need to start eating healthier and start exercising. I had a big tasty meal (large) from Mcdonalds earlier and I know I'm not allowed to post calories here but I worked out it's the amount of calories I'm meant to have a day I eat one about twice a week. I eat a lot of pizzas, burgers, cheese, cookies, crisps also :/

I'm not exactly overweight but I know if I keep eating like this I will be soon.

When I was a child I was dangerously underweight, I guess in a sense I had an eating disorder. I just didn't like food. In the end I went to a dietitian and he give me these vile milkshakes that would help me gain weight Since I was about 13 I gained weight and just never ate healthy as my parents just thought me eating junk food was better than not eating at all.

I really need to stop this I've read the "Guide to Healthy Eating" thread but I kind of want some meal ideas.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Healthy eating - November 2nd 2010, 04:41 PM

Hey there!

Firstly, I'm pretty sure you'll have seen this before, but it's a pretty good way to figure out how much of what foods you should be eating throughout the day. It shows the five main food groups. However, it's also remembering that while a lot of good can come from eating the right food, you need to be getting enough physical exercise, too!

Now then, for healthy eating there's really a lot of meals that you can do. What foods do you like already? I mean, you could try and make your own burgers with lean mince meat, and add onions and anything else that you might want to. Perhaps use a granary bread roll with it, and you could even make your own chips, too. More or less ANY food that you can buy in fast food restaurants and stores you can make yourself an awful lot healthier.

Are you eating three meals at the moment? You've probably heard it a million times before, but breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Without breakfast you're far more likely to over-eat throughout the day. How are you cooking your food? Try grilling, stir-frying, microwaving, baking, and boiling instead of frying anything. It's also worth remembering that it takes 20 minutes for you to feel full, so even just pacing yourself when eating a meal, and eating it a lot slower than usual can help you to see how much you actually need to eat.

As for meal ideas, try this link. You'd be surprised by what you can eat and still keep healthy. Remember to snack on fruit or nuts, rather than sugary foods that leave you craving for more as soon as the sugar high passes.

I hope this helps.
Marie.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Healthy eating - November 2nd 2010, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the link I normally skip breakfast as I wake up too late I'll try and sort my sleeping schedule out to try and eat breakfast soon though

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Healthy eating - November 2nd 2010, 11:15 PM

We'll have to make up a plan together! I'm like you, I just eat loads of the wrond foods! But I've managed to resist a mc donalds for months I feel I'm just too lazy to go to the gym or do anything 'exersize' like. And I eat loads of crisps and chocolates and I just can't help myself

I too am not fat, exactly. But I'd like to tone up and be skinnier and just healthier. I just lack to motivation to do anything.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
inFAMOUS Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Kody

Re: Healthy eating - November 3rd 2010, 08:50 AM

instead of 3 big meals a day, 5 littler meals is the way to go if you eat in smaller amounts, its easier for your digestive system to break down and make into energy and such. try having an apple or some other type of fruit with your meals, it makes all the difference. and when you wake up, try doing some stretches and a couple of sit ups or something every day

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Healthy eating - November 3rd 2010, 10:41 AM

Focus on eating protein sources and vegetables.

And most of what I've read lately seems to be indicating that meal frequency isn't as big an issue as commonly thought, so getting your food quality down is the main thing you should be focusing on right now.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Healthy eating - November 3rd 2010, 12:10 PM

I'm the same way as you Ceilidh...but my main problem is my Mum doesn't buy healthy foods...the house is full of ready meals. I'd buy my own food but I don't have that much money which is a real problem for me.

Soooo...if anyone has any ideas for healthy eating on a budget that'd help me? (And it saves me posting another thread of the same topic)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Healthy eating - November 3rd 2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
I'm the same way as you Ceilidh...but my main problem is my Mum doesn't buy healthy foods...the house is full of ready meals. I'd buy my own food but I don't have that much money which is a real problem for me.

Soooo...if anyone has any ideas for healthy eating on a budget that'd help me? (And it saves me posting another thread of the same topic)
Have you tried talking to your mum about the issue?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Healthy eating - November 3rd 2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Have you tried talking to your mum about the issue?
I have, yeah. She says she never has time to go shopping for good food...and she doesn't have a lot of money either.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Healthy eating - November 4th 2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
I have, yeah. She says she never has time to go shopping for good food...and she doesn't have a lot of money either.
I can't see any reason why it would take any longer to throw meat and veggies into a trolley as opposed to pre-packaged meals, and pre-packaged meals are outrageously expensive in terms of what you get compared to real nutritious food, so the second point is just a blatent lie on her part.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
robindecostaa Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Healthy eating - November 12th 2010, 01:37 PM

Healthy eating is so necessary for leave better health life. Daily drinks 9-10 glass of water. Eat green vegetables and fruits. It's contain phytochemicals and antioxidants. Vegetables are low in carbohydrates. Apples are loaded with fiber, and are high in vitamins, making them delicious and excellent for weight loss efforts.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Healthy eating - November 12th 2010, 02:53 PM

Hey lovely

For some meal ideas, grilled cheese, fruit smoothie, vegetable plate with ranch, peanut butter sandwich, whole wheat English muffin with cream cheese, a bagel with cream cheese.

You can also use this opportunity to perfect your cooking skills and think up some fun recipes.

Quote:

Ah I know how you feel. Healthy food like fruits and veggies is soooo expensive compares to what my mom currently buys.

Frozen fruits and veggies are a good idea. Switch the white bread for whole wheat and simple things like that. It will definitely make a difference.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Healthy eating - November 13th 2010, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
Ah I know how you feel. Healthy food like fruits and veggies is soooo expensive compares to what my mom currently buys.
What does your mum currently buy? Because grains are about the only unhealthy food I can think of that's realistically cheaper than eating healthy.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Healthy eating - November 13th 2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
What does your mum currently buy? Because grains are about the only unhealthy food I can think of that's realistically cheaper than eating healthy.
Cupcakes, candy, and items on sale.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Healthy eating - November 13th 2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post

Cupcakes, candy, and items on sale.
I can guarantee that all of these would cost more for any given weight than many legitimately healthy foods. Try to do the calculations yourself, show her what you've worked out, and this might help convince her to buy healthier food choices for you.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Healthy eating - November 13th 2010, 08:40 PM

One thing I often like to make is home-made tomato meat sauce. In this, I put celery, onion, bell pepper, maybe one jalepeno with seeds removed or cayenne, ground meat, canned chopped tomato, garlic, basil & parsley (ideally fresh from garden), red-wine vinegar, black pepper, salt, mushrooms and a little bit of shaved carrot. Often it does get a bit too watery for sauce so that's where I add in bread crumbs from Italian breads which makes it a very very thick sauce. I let it simmer at a low temperature for a while, just so everything gets very tender. Sometimes I'll add sausages into the soup to cook so it'll be sauce on noodles with sausages on the side, some sort of starting salad or soup and microwaved or steamed vegetables on the side (i.e. peas).

It's an easy sauce to make because it's pretty much putting small amounts of various things together. I don't use a lot of each ingredient otherwise the taste is off. The only thing I use a lot of is paprika for colour, ground meat, garlic and bell pepper (3-4). The rest is small amounts so you can use the rest for other things as there's plenty left over. Bread crumbs I buy or you can just buy some tasty hard bread, put a dishtowel over it and use a meat tenderizer or rolling pin over it.

Also, if you don't put in the breadcrumbs and all in less meat, it's a pretty good soup, so you can have soup or sauce with the same thing.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#17 (permalink)) Old
ARTPOP Offline
I've been here a while

Name: :)

Smile Re: Healthy eating - November 16th 2010, 12:45 PM

Hi
Roasted veggie lasagne is great!

Ingredients
Preparation method
  1. Slice the courgettes and aubergine into diagonal slices. Heat a ridged grill pan, brush the slices with olive oil and grill for several minutes each side until chargrilled, then remove. You'll have to do this in batches.
  2. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Brush the inside of a large baking dish with a little oil. Place a layer of sliced tomatoes (about one third of the total) on the bottom, slightly overlapping.
  3. Next, layer with half of the courgette and aubergine slices. Sprinkle with half the chopped garlic and one tbsp balsamic vinegar.
  4. Scatter over half of the torn basil leaves and season with salt and pepper.
  5. Layer half the mozzarella slices on top, then cover with half the lasagne sheets.
  6. Continue layering with the rest of the ingredients, ending with a layer of tomatoes on top. Sprinkle over the parmesan.
  7. Cover with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another five minutes until the parmesan's golden on top.

Om nom nom Link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ro...ablelasa_77405

Closed Thread