TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sleepwalker Offline
Not a n00b

Allergic Reaction? - November 6th 2010, 07:53 PM

Okay, so, something bit me. No idea what, but it's on the inside of my thigh and it hurts like crazy! I first noticed it yesterday, and by today, it's swelled up to about the size of the palm of my hand and it's sore and incredibly painful, even without anything touching it. But there's only so long I can go without wearing pants, so I guess I'm gonna have to suck it up... hah.

My mom assured me that if it had been a brown recluse spider, I'd be dead already, so I guess I don't have to worry about it being anything serious? Idk. But do you have any idea what I could do to stop or help reduce the pain? Or ways to help it heal? Or any idea how long these things usually last before they go away? Because OH MY GOODNESS this thing hurts! (and there's nothing even touching it yet! )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Allergic Reaction? - November 6th 2010, 08:02 PM

My mum got bit by something three times the other night. Her boyfriend said that they were horse flies or something, I'm not sure. But her leg swelled up huge and it was red hot. She used allergy cream stuff, it has a certain thing in it (I forget what) to help sort it out, kind of like bite and sting cream stuff. You should be able to get it from a pharmacy.

It doesn't sound like anything too serious. But if it doesn't go away after a few days, especially after using some cream, then speak to a doctor. Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Allergic Reaction? - November 7th 2010, 01:03 AM

Hey there,

We're not medical professionals so I would really recommend you see a doctor! I don't really know a lot about spider bites, but it seems pretty painful. Can you get an appointment with your doctor pretty soon and get it checked out? In the mean time, perhaps try some over the counter medications.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Allergic Reaction? - November 7th 2010, 09:56 AM

If it's an allergic reaction, then find yourself some anti-histamines such as Benadryl as it's an anti-histamine that can be used for anaphylaxis (which you don't have) so it's probably the strongest, most effective and fairly cheap over-the-counter anti-histamine. A doctor may suggest a different one or say it's good enough for the job.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Allergic Reaction? - November 11th 2010, 12:40 AM

Hydrocortisone might work if you don't want an anti-histamine.
Are you allergic to any bugs? I know that I am seriously allergic to mosquitoes.
Where they bite me, my skin starts swelling up and fills with pus.
They have to be popped professionally.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Allergic Reaction? - November 11th 2010, 06:32 PM

if its just a rash from things rubbing against it (i get it all the time) then put some baby powder on it.

Otherwise see your doctor.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Sleepwalker Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Allergic Reaction? - November 12th 2010, 03:21 AM

Thanks guys. I did end up seeing my doctor, cause after trying various things for almost a week, it was just as bad as when I started... Turned out not to be a bug bite, but something much more serious.

Anyways, thanks for the advice though.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Allergic Reaction? - November 12th 2010, 12:13 PM

Hey there,

I'm going to go ahead and close this thread since everything has been sorted! I hope it gets better soon and your doctor was able to help. Feel free to PM me if you would like this reopening.

Marie.

Closed Thread