TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Simplyme7 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Question Carpal Tunnel? - November 20th 2010, 06:16 PM

So for as long as I can remember, every so often I get really bad pain in my left wrist. Like it hurts to move it. And when I was younger, I found that popping it when it hurt made it feel better. Released pressure or something I imagine. But in the past year it has gotten much worse. Before when it hurt, it didn't hurt too horribly bad, and it went away and didn't come back for most of the year. Well, when I moved to Kentucky, it started getting worse. I find that it gets the worst when my wrist is cold. But, since I started the popping thing when I was young, it's become a habit. If my wrist hurts, and I don't have the brace on (Which i absolutely hate wearing because it makes me feel ridiculous) then i'm popping it. I routinely get in trouble for it by my boyfriend. He seems to think that I'm going to get arthritis from popping my wrist.

But popping it makes it feel better. Also, what really weird about it is, if i pull my hand up, it almost sounds like something is separating in my wrist. Its hard to explain... but its not really popping like bones popping... Its very quiet, and you have to hold it up to your ear to hear it, but it sounds really gross. And my other wrist doesn't do it.... And I've tried it on my bfs wrists and his don't either.

I just don't know whats wrong with it and why it won't stop hurting. If I wear the brace, it normally starts making it feel better after a couple days. But sometimes the brace makes it hurt worse because I can't pop it. :/

So I guess I was just wondering if any of you had ever gone through this before? My bf thinks that it's carpal tunnel. But I don't have the slightest clue what to do to make it not hurt. It's driving me crazy. And I hate wearing this stupid brace.

Thanks for any advice!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Carpal Tunnel? - November 21st 2010, 01:46 AM

My friend had that problem when she broke her wrist.
I think you should go and see a doctor. Ligaments and tendons can get disconnected sometimes.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Carpal Tunnel? - November 21st 2010, 03:01 AM

Not sure if its carpal, because I have it and I don't think your description matches. Try putting some ice on it? Don't pop your wrist, that makes it worse in the long run and can do pernament damage. Definately go to the doctors because it could be something with the ligaments or the bones even.

But, for now when it hurts put ice on it. 20 minutes on, 20 off. Repeat as needed.

Also, never wear a brace continous, that could also be causing the pain. You shouldn't ever leave something in one position for too long, of course unless it's broken.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Simplyme7 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Carpal Tunnel? - November 21st 2010, 04:13 AM

The last time I went to the doctor because it was hurting me, they changed us $100 for an x-ray only to tell us that they could find nothing wrong. And I may have to try the ice thing, Only problem is in my dorm I don't really have an ice pack. :/ Also, I don't wear the brace continuously. In fact I try to wear it as little as possible. It's only when it starts hurting really bad that I finally break down and put it on. I try my best to live with out it, but after awhile it starts hurting so bad to even move it or bump it that i need the brace on.

Maybe I will go to health services at my college and see if they have any ideas.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: Carpal Tunnel? - November 23rd 2010, 11:33 AM

You should see a physiotherapist, they can tell much more about muscle damage and how to treat it with different exercises and stretches.
It could be soft tissue damage or inflammation which may need to be treated with cortisol injections or just rest.
I have lots of friends that play musical instruments who have wrist problems and, like you, have to wear a brace for some of the time. Unfortunately, that's all you can do.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

Closed Thread