Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
jlsw Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!
jlsw's Avatar
Age: 26

Posts: 2
Join Date: December 4th 2010

Unhappy Can I sue/take legal action against my parents for medical emancipation - December 4th 2010, 04:19 PM

Right, this probably sounds stupid at first glance, but i'm not messing about or being silly here i proimse

Well, i have recently been diognosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) which is quite simular to M.E if you have heared of that? Well my dad is not letting me undergo my treatment as it involves me dropping some hours at College for a few months untill I am better (which takes about a year usually). He refuses to let me drop some hours and will not let me carry out the things i need to get better, recommended by the hospital. The rest of my family agree with everything the hospital/I suggest to help me get better, but he is totall against it, has told me as soon as I turn 18 he is kicking me out, and has been giving numerous threats to me involving my posessions, social situation ect to get me to do what he says, it is also causing my depression to sprial which is another side effect of my illness.

I feel i should have the right's to refuse him, and make my own decisons involving my medical treatments, and the only way i can see of getting him to see sense is legal action.

So does anyone know if I have any legal 'things' on my side against him or if i qualify to get medical emancipation against him/ sueing him for not letting me carry out my medical treatment i need to get better.

I am 17 and live in England, any help would be much apriciated, Thankyou.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough
Bibliophile's Avatar

Posts: 2,709
Blog Entries: 165
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Can I sue/take legal action against my parents for medical emancipation - December 6th 2010, 09:07 AM

Hey there,

Well, in the UK after you're 16 most medical decisions are down to you. However, until you're 18, legally, your parents can still override you on some decisions. Basically, it's down to you to sign for surgery, and agree to any treatment, and you can keep everything confidential. However, should your parents disagree with you getting some form of treatment, they can still prevent you from getting it.
Honestly, I think you should speak to your GP regarding these problems. It sounds almost as though this could be a form of abuse, he's preventing you from getting treatment that you need, and threatening you with other things. Your doctor could recommend a way of getting through this, as your father, especially in this case, should not have such a tight grip over you when it's for your best interests.
I don't think getting medical emancipation or sueing him will really help. I think before you try doing anything you should have a good talk with your doctor, and see what he recommends. There's always methods of getting around problems! The NHS could even offer transport to get you to and from the hospital should your father be unwilling to help you at all.

I hope this helps. Feel free to message me!
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
jlsw Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!
jlsw's Avatar
Age: 26

Posts: 2
Join Date: December 4th 2010

Re: Can I sue/take legal action against my parents for medical emancipation - December 9th 2010, 03:27 PM

Yes this has really helped. I will try and see my doctor seperatly without any of my family to discuss with him what I should do about the situation.

Thankyou very much for your help, I will keep you updated on how things go
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Release9 Offline
Junior TeenHelper
Release9's Avatar

Posts: 213
Join Date: October 27th 2010

Re: Can I sue/take legal action against my parents for medical emancipation - December 10th 2010, 12:49 AM

Talk to your doctor about this.
I'm still young so I can't medically emancipate myself, but I have some issues like flat feet, back pain etc...
My parents won't give me treatment because they don't want anyone to know what goes on in our house.
I've had some serious beatings and only one of those times I was allowed to go to the hospital. My toe was nearly sawed in half though.
Right now, I have sprained fingers and I have to treat myself because my parents won't help me.
What you are going through is definitely abuse.
I say go and take the treatment anyways.
Hope this helps!
Closed Thread


action, emancipation, legal, medical, parents, sue or take

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All material copyright 1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.