TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Sammie

giving blood - March 1st 2009, 12:50 AM

so yesterday our skewl was giving a blood drive and i wanted to give (i hate needles but i felt i need to, cuz our family has had blood issues). i went threw all the questions and was good, but when they tested my iron it was to low. well in november i had my blood tested and one thing they found was it was low so i have been taking iron...idk what to do anymore like where is the iron going? does anyone know what i can do to bring it up?

All I want is to rock your soul!!!
  Send a message via AIM to tears_of_the_sun  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: giving blood - March 1st 2009, 01:05 AM

That's very odd.
Since the iron is in your blood it may be because your period is heavy. But I don't know. =\
I would ask the doctor to see what else you can do to help raise your iron because the supplement doesn't seem to be helping.
~Em

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
mia705 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ali

Re: giving blood - March 1st 2009, 01:10 AM

Hey Sammie,

First of all, way to work through the fear and try to give blood! That's awesome!

I also try to give blood whenever I can, but rarely are my iron levels high enough either...so I share your frustration.

I read once that is you are on your period when giving blood it can cause your iron levels to be low...so perhaps it was that?

Otherwise, I would recommend you go back to your doctor and get your iron tested again, because if that iron test you just had was right, then you still arent' getting enough. So, make another appointment. While you are there you can ask what is causing your levels to be so low and maybe they will have some solutions.

You can also google some about 'iron-rich food' or something similar to find food you can eat in order to get your levels up. I had one nurse tell me that it takes a week for your iron levels to raise if you are making the efffort to eat iron rich foods. So start maybe try starting a week before the next blood drive.

Well good luck!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Sammie

Re: giving blood - March 1st 2009, 01:14 AM

thanks guys!!! by the way i was not on my period i dont get that for a week. my mom sed she was animc when she was younger so...but keep the ideas coming thanks!!

All I want is to rock your soul!!!
  Send a message via AIM to tears_of_the_sun  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: giving blood - March 1st 2009, 01:20 AM

So I found a website that has a list of iron rich foods http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml
I'm also going to throw in that I was barely able to give blood last time I did (a few weeks ago). Supposedly I was just under the amount of time it takes for a drop of blood with enough iron to drop in the thing. This was surprising to me because usually I'm fine and it doesn't take very long.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tieko

Re: giving blood - March 1st 2009, 01:26 AM

Giving blood is awesome (:
I'm a donor, and I am also a vegetarian so you can imagine how much iron I get in my diet q:
Dark Greens are great for getting iron (spinach, kale, etc). They actually taste really good once you get used to them and NO CALS (:! Well... barely any q:

The body sometimes has trouble absorbing iron though, so you want to make sure you eat foods with Vitamin C that helps promote the absorption of iron - like orange juice! But Vitamin C is the easiest vitamin to get so don't worry about that being problematic q:

(#7 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: giving blood - March 1st 2009, 05:23 PM

I would recommend a visit to your doc He/she can help you with it, if the levels are that low.

PM // VM

(#8 (permalink)) Old
helped Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: giving blood - March 2nd 2009, 04:50 AM

Blood donate is good for you. if you think your blood level is low you can go to doctor and check it up.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: giving blood - March 3rd 2009, 09:16 PM

I tried giving blood but couldn't because I had had my ears pierced 4 months before *GR* But they put me through all the questions and everything, made me wait for half an hour then called me in to a room where they said "Oh sorry, you put that you had piercings recently." No one told me that that affected anything! Gr.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: giving blood - March 3rd 2009, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niente_ View Post
I tried giving blood but couldn't because I had had my ears pierced 4 months before *GR* But they put me through all the questions and everything, made me wait for half an hour then called me in to a room where they said "Oh sorry, you put that you had piercings recently." No one told me that that affected anything! Gr.
There are so many ridiculous rules like that, it's annoying! but i guess they're for a reason. meh.

Anyways, OP.. i think it's great that you're wanting to give blood! As someone who receives regular blood transfusions, people like you really are a godsend.

As for the iron, talk to your doctor about it. If it has already been picked up and you've been put on certain supplements, they obviously either aren't working or something else is going on.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread