TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

It Just Gets Worse and Worse - March 4th 2009, 12:50 AM

It started out the last week of July, which was band camp. I was marching like normal and suddenly, my ankle started hurting very badly. It was sudden and nothing that I remembered could have made it hurt so badly.
It continued and I finally was told to go to the doctor. I went and got an x-ray, because they thought it may be broken. [Note it is November by this time, so I would have gone around two months on a broken ankle] There was no signs of a break, so I was sent to another doctor. I went through a lot of physical therapy and stuff until in January, when my ankle was still painful on a daily basis, the doctor decided to do a bone scan.
Another doctor called in saying that the bone scan showed shin splints. So I have thought for over a month that I have shin splints. I have done my ankle exercises through all of this like I am supposed to. It is now becoming less and less painful on a daily basis, but still hurt like when I went sledding and when I had to be on my feet for long periods of time during tech week.
Today, the doctor I've been going to saw my bone scan. He decided that it was very unlikely that I have shin splints. He now believes that I have a nerve that is damaged since it has hurt so badly for such a long time, but never really swelled much. He said that if it is what he believes it to be that I will have to have surgery just to find the nerve that is damaged. Then another to remove it. *sigh* I'm not looking forward to this and really want to get the next doctors appointment over with (but it's not until the 19th) so that I know more what to expect.
I don't know what I expect of people, this is kind of like most of my threads. Me getting out whatever the heck is stressing me or freaking me out. And that's it currently.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: It Just Gets Worse and Worse - March 4th 2009, 03:14 AM

Well, there are quite a few nerves involved at the ankle area, such as the saphenous nerve, common fibular nerve, superficial fibular nerve, deep fibular nerve, sural nerve and tibial nerve (note, these last 2 nerves travel mostly down the back of the leg).

Depending where the pain is, it can help give an idea of which nerve may be damaged. Where and what part of the ankle hurts (give details or else it will be too vague). However, the most accurate way is through surgeries.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Turquoise Offline
Not a n00b

Re: It Just Gets Worse and Worse - March 4th 2009, 03:16 AM

Oy, I'm sorry about that Em. I'm glad though that you found a doctor who was willing to take a more proactive approach to your pain (nobody deserves to hurt for that long) and get you better. I have shin splints, but your doctor is right, they shouldn't cause constant pain and therefore are unlikely to be your problem.

Best of luck and I hope you get better.

Loads of love,
Emily

(#4 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Re: It Just Gets Worse and Worse - March 4th 2009, 09:49 PM

Thanks to both of you!
I really am wishing right now that the appointment was sooner. If it was, then it would be so much easier to deal with.
However, I will be busy, because we have theater every day but Sunday and we are going to march two parades soon! (Which I am, for some reason, marching) And we have another band performance thing that week. Then the day after the performance thing I have my doctors appointment.
Weird thing is, my doctor told me to march and my band director wants me to march as little as possible in hopes that it won't get worse. I must say, she's an amazing person.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
Closed Thread