TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
XOXOXO Offline
Not a n00b

Name: :)

Question exercise ? - March 10th 2009, 08:40 PM

okay, im average when it comes to weight, but
im not happy with my stomach and thighs. lately,
i've been doing 100 to about 200 crunches a day,
i dont think its gonna help though, any suggestions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: exercise ? - March 10th 2009, 09:49 PM

I'd suggest doing something you enjoy, rather than just doing crunches, as it becomes really boring and can be very frustrating if you're not seeing results. How about cycling? That's great for toning thighs and is enjoyable as well. As for your stomach, crunches will help, if you give them time, but as i said, it does get frutrating. Have you considered joining an exercise class, perhaps something like pilates? Thats great for toning. It sounds like you're more wanting to tone, rather than lose weight.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SimplyComplex Offline
SimplyComplex :)
I've been here a while

Name: Melissa

Re: exercise ? - March 10th 2009, 10:12 PM

Hey,

I know it can get really frustrating, the important thing to keep in mind is to keep with it. But, I do suggest changing it up a little bit. Eventually, you'll get used to the crunches and they won't have any kind of affect after a while. If you're trying to lose fat, you can't simply work on one area and expect it to disappear. You can't pick where you lose fat. Your body will do that for you. Like Elle said, you might want to try mixing it up a little bit. Just doing crunches won't do an awful lot. You could try jogging, work out videos, work out classes, etc. There are many things out there specifically designed to build abdominal muscle. As for your thighs, squats are amazing. Bike riding works well too. Instead of treating these things as a work out, you can try making it fun. Join a sports team or invite a friend along for a bike ride. Building muscle and getting fit doesn't have to be repetitive and boring. I hope this helped a bit. By the way, welcome to TH. If you need anything, let me know.

~Stay strong and have faith.

01 // 10 // 11

Baby stand tall. You can have it all.

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: exercise ? - March 10th 2009, 11:11 PM

Hi there,

An important thing to remember is that although doing crunches and weight lifting build up muscle, they don't really burn fat. They do in small amounts, but not significantly. What you should do is a mixture of cardiovascular exercise (walking, jogging, cycling, swimming, etc.) and other exercises (crunches, weights, etc.). That will help.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
monstermanx Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brendan

Re: exercise ? - March 11th 2009, 01:12 AM

Alright,

Here we go! First off, you cannot spot reduce. However, toning sort of involves building muscle if you look at it from my point of view, therefor only certain exercises will get that part slimmed down. Basically, over-all cardio, low carb and high protein and staying active will take care of it. With that said, it is a MUST to do squats. Not only does it work your thighs, it also works lower legs, biceps, triceps, abdomin area and more. It's basically a total body work out.

With that said,

I can recommend doing a body-weight routine. Squats, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and this is all done with your own body-weight. You can add pilates weights or dumbells later on if you wish! Sadly, I can't lay it out too much more (This might even be too much) but if you want you can feel free to PM me for more information.

Please consult a physician before starting any diet or work-out regimen

Do or do not, there is no try!" - Joey Kovar

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous19 Offline
Average Joe

Re: exercise ? - March 11th 2009, 01:46 AM

If you mix cardio in with a decent diet then I think what your doing should work. But if you really want to keep those muscles strong you have to slowly increase the number you do, otherwise your not really getting stronger (if thats what your looking for that is). Good leg workouts would be some body weight squats, leg lunges, maybe some frog hops if you really want to strengthen your thighs. Try to mix in some fun into the workouts otherwise it is really hard to keep yourself motovated to keep doing them because the key is consistency. Usually I like to listen to music or go outside and do them if its a nice day just to change things up a bit.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
XOXOXO Offline
Not a n00b

Name: :)

Re: exercise ? - March 13th 2009, 12:22 AM

thanks guys :]

i think when it gets warmer i'll start riding
my bike around.

but i started on sunday, the exercising.
and lately i've been eating salad and fruit
with an occasional snack of course. ;]

and with the crunches, i do increase the amount
by 100 each day. i cant join a workout class,
cause first of all, people say i dont really need it,
im in shape, but im personally not satisfied.
i guess, it'll get better when spring comes around
because then i'll be more outdoors. until than.
im stuck with crunches and pushups ect.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
monstermanx Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brendan

Re: exercise ? - March 13th 2009, 11:06 PM

Good to hear.

You don't need a fitness club though, all you need is a solid body-weight and cardio routine and if it comes down to toning and firming things up you can incorporate cheap dumbells from wal-mart into your work-outs.

And in-order to loose weight properly, you need to get about 6 meals in a day. 3 Minor and 3 major, meaning 3 will be smaller and the other three will be average. This prevents your body from going into 'starvation' mode which will cause you to actually gain weight, if you go into 'starvation' mode. What happens is your body panics and stores all the fat and calories you take in, which increases weight, your body will retain more water e.t.c.

PM me if you want an exact diet or work-out routine.

Best of luck,
Brendan

Do or do not, there is no try!" - Joey Kovar

Closed Thread