TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
sporkerism Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Isabella

Funky blood stuff - March 12th 2009, 03:49 PM

Yeah, not funky as in smelly, but as in... yeah, whatever, I just like the word. Anyway, I my body tends to get pretty bad psychosomatic symptoms when I'm super-stressed or depressed, and I know I'm not alone in that. I mean, stomach complaints, joint complaints, disrupted sleep, so on and so forth, but this is kind of different. Recently I've been diagnosed with anaemia, but medication and doctors appointments are kind of confusing, in that I see my normal GP when I'm home and seeing the uni doctor is notoriously difficult. Waiting lists as long as my arm, seriously, especially since there's some nasty stomach bugs and viruses going around. Anyway, my question is about blood, and the amount of it. It's weird, because I seem to be seeing quite a lot of it. As in, my ahem, womenly time... was the heaviest it's ever been, and lasted longer than usual. Injuries, well for example...I cut my leg shaving the other day (I'm clumsy, I do this EVERY time I shave) and given that I've given myself some truely massive razor injuries before, this wasn't too bad, on the front of my shin... blood, everywhere. My legs are covered in bruises too - I'm horrifically clumsy, so no surprise here, but these are massive even for me, dark, with those lumps under them that really bad bruises get.

Could anaemia cause this? Any ideas? I'll see if I can go to my doc when I go home in a few weeks, but what could it be? Serious, or just my brain being ultra-sensitive to blood? I have no history of blood problems beyond anaemia, but my diet atm's quite rubbish - I'm not sure I'm getting all the vitimins and minerals I need, I'm more concerned about salt and sat fat in my ready meals to be honest, but I try to eat a balanced diet. I've been feeling tired and run down, that's about it. Also, is a veggie diet safe for anaemics? I would have thought so, but thought I'd ask, since I'm off meat and thinking about being veggy?

Also, completely unrelated but I'll stick it here: I have a mood disorder and I've found that when I'm in certain moods, I can't eat certain foods. For example, for several days this month I've been living off of toast because I'm in an irritable, restless mood and the thought of anything with liquid in it or anything 'moist' makes my stomach roll over and die. And various other things for moods. Is this normal?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Funky blood stuff - March 12th 2009, 06:34 PM

The excess bleeding and brusing is more than likely caused by your anemia. It's important that you see a doctor as soon as you can, as excess bleeding with anemia can be extremely dangerous.
As for the mood disorder thing, I've actually never heard of anything like that, I would suggest bringing it up when you visit the doctor next.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Funky blood stuff - March 12th 2009, 08:48 PM

That's probably symptoms of your anemia. But you should see your doctor just incase because those are also symptoms of things a lot worse such as meningitis or leukemia. But since you already stated you have anemia, I'd assume it's most likely that. But just to be safe, make a trip.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
sporkerism Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Isabella

Re: Funky blood stuff - March 15th 2009, 06:01 PM

Alors... I spoke to my parents and I've managed to get a short-notice "emergency" (uh, not really, but...) appointment with my regular doc back home, so I’ll be going home next weekend. Because he kind of agrees that it's worth checking that the bleedy thing is nothing serious even if it's just completely harmless. And because the university medical system is a badly organised pile of dog poop, not good news for someone with undiagnosed appendicitis or meningitis or whatever who feels a bit ick and wants a diagnosis this side of july, eh? I think I could have waited until the holidays, but the ‘rents weren’t keen on that idea. I think I freaked them a bit. Hopefully it’s not dangerous, but thanks for the heads up. I’ll remember to ask if it’s related to anaemia when I have my appointment.

So... the real bad news is that university is not a place you wanna get ill. Ever. And it’s a pain I have to go home to visit my GP, but whatever... it’s weird. I guess this can be closed now? Unless anyone desperately wants updates as to where, when and how I had tests I didn’t really want done : P

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Funky blood stuff - March 15th 2009, 06:18 PM

Closed, problem will be taken care of by a professional.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

Closed Thread