TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General Health This forum is for any questions or concerns about your health and wellbeing.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cchheellsseeaa Offline
<3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chelsea

adhd medications; getting prescribed? - March 12th 2009, 11:41 PM

I have tried my friends adarall and concerta medications a few times and every time I take them I feel more concentrated, I can do my work in school and I have more energy, plus im overall in a much better mood. I can deal with people better and I feel a lot less depressed. Is this enough to tell my dr and possibly get me prescribed? I know that it can help me and I can improve my grades and attitude and everything, but getting it from friends is just hard and it would be so much easier if I could simply get prescribed… thanks.

So, is that what you call a getaway?
Tell me what you got away with.
Cause I've seen more spine in jellyfish.
I've seen more guts in eleven-year-old kids.
Have another drink and drive yourself home.
I hope there's ice on all the roads.
And you can think of me when you forget your seatbelt,
and again when your head goes through the windshield.
  Send a message via MSN to cchheellsseeaa  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
i_am_me_again Offline
I'm A Pyschotic Neurotic.
I can't get enough

Name: Jaymi

Re: adhd medications; getting prescribed? - March 12th 2009, 11:45 PM

For a start, its very dangerous to take other peoples prescribed medication. Thats something you should never do, even if you have the same symptoms.

If you think you need it, then it best talk to your doctor.

Ritalin & Concerta are not the right drugs for depression.

To me, your 15 years old & unless a doctor has told you you need meds, then you probably dont.

Dont take your friends medications.

HelpLink Mentor & Forum Moderator

PM me!

Our lives are like music.
It hits its high and low notes,
But in the end,
It all turns into a perfect melody
  Send a message via MSN to i_am_me_again  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: adhd medications; getting prescribed? - March 13th 2009, 01:42 AM

As I_am_me_again has stated, taking other people's medications isn't safe. With that being said, have you ever been tested for ADHD? If not going to to your doctor and requesting to be tested would be your best option. It's common for someone your age to have less concentration, and often parents do get their kids tested around your age if not sooner so I am sure your doctor will have no problem with doing so. If you are experiencing feelings of depression, you should ask your doctor about that as well as things like ritalin and concerta are not meant to help treat depression.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Katrina Offline
you only live once.
I can't get enough

Name: Katrina

Re: adhd medications; getting prescribed? - March 13th 2009, 01:55 AM

I think I'm going to move this to General Health; Drugs and Alcohol is more about addictions of sorts, not getting prescribed for a certain medication and taking it as needed. If anyone disagrees, please move this to where you see fit.

It's been said twice, but yes, taking friends' medication = not a wise idea. You should definitely see your doctor and be diagnosed and prescribed medication if needed by a professional, not by yourself. I'm extremely biased towards/against [won't say which] ADHD medication, so I do not feel as though it would be proper for me to give you my opinions and my own personal experience with the medication. However, good luck at the doctor's. I'm sure they'll be able to help you far more than we will. Take care. [:

Send a message via MSN to Katrina  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: adhd medications; getting prescribed? - March 13th 2009, 03:00 AM

There is a reason you feel like you have more energy. That is because those medications are stimulates. And while I am not a doctor and can not officially diagnose you, the fact that you have more energy when you takes these tends to mean you do not have a disorder. Because these drugs calm down people with ADD and ADHD, they are hyperactive and the stimulate acts in an opposite way and slows them down. But for people who do not have this disorder it speeds them up, gives them more energy and can be compared to the illegal drug speed. So no wonder you feel so great!
Honestly, it was extremely dangerous for you to take that medication, it could have killed you. Prescriptions are made for an individual person, and what is OK for one person can seriously harm another. Do not do this again. If you go an tell your doctor all of this, I am not sure what they would do, seeing as you are illegally abusing drugs. Depending on where you live they might have to contact your parents about that.
But if you honestly feel like you need medication to be able to focus in school then I think you need to get a psychological evaluation. They can officially diagnose you and give you any treatment you might need. Now be aware that does not necessarily mean they will write you a prescription. There are many different ways to go about treating a mental disorder. Drugs are not always the answer. And I don’t think you should be so quick to take them, they can have serious long term affects that can be life threatening. You need to way all of your options before deciding on a therapy, if there is anything wrong in the first place.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
drowningangel Offline
.Surrender.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kathy

Re: adhd medications; getting prescribed? - March 13th 2009, 03:39 PM

Everyone's right on the money. Taking prescriptions that other people have can seriously put your health in jeopardy. I've had a few friends who have done similar things (that have physical health issues) and ended up in alot of renal (kidney) trouble because of it.

If you suspect you may have an attention disorder, you need to consult your doctor. Even the school nurse or guidance counselor may be able to point you where you need to go to see if you do have the issue and get it addressed. Like Lizzie said though, the medicines you were taking are stimulants, so even people without ADD/ADHD are going to feel more tunnel-visioned, concentrated when they don't need the medicine to begin with.

Married since 28 June 2009 to my DevilDog

-----

"Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
- Emily Bronte

Closed Thread